The Electronic era in cycling

JA-Q001

Electric era in cycling  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Are you embracing the new Tech

• Yes, I have no range anxiety
    • No, give me cable

3 hours ago, liebenw said:

For me it was a relatively easy decision. Was still riding 2x10 and I told myself that once the drivetrain was "moer toe",  I would upgrade to GX AXS. About 8 rides in and absolutely loving it.

I'm on Campy 11 spd on road bike. It's going to take a very long time to ride it "moer toe" and even then I would never afford their electronic groupsets 😞

I have Campy 10 speed Record on my C40 - its 22 years old and still shifts beautifully and with a very re-assuring clunk on the shift. That groupo is absolutely bullet proof. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I have Campy 10 speed Record on my C40 - its 22 years old and still shifts beautifully and with a very re-assuring clunk on the shift. That groupo is absolutely bullet proof. 

Had 15 years of hassle free riding on my set. Even though technology has moved on that Record groupset is still the bomb

Let me add this.

The world has seen all the electronic and quartz watches you could ever imagine. And yet high end watches are still predominantly analogue. By and large it's the cheaper stuff that is electronic.

Then there was the CD player and now there is pure digital file. But you can still buy vinyl (being pressed again) and turntables, some of very high quality.

It's hard to be sure what the future holds for cycling. But I suspect there will always be a market for good quality mechanical groupsets and rim brake bikes and parts and that that market will always have suppliers. It might be fairly niche and cult but it will be there. It might also end up being, like many watches, a very high quality market. Hard to be sure but maybe.

I've been using electronic shifting soon after Shimano 9070 Di2 was launched.

In almost 5 years I've only ran out out of battery twice, both due to unplanned long rides. after weeks of high mileage.

I don't think I'll be able to go back to mechanical shifting. 

I current still use on a weekly basis the 9070, 9170 and now 9270 di2 group sets.

I like the comparison between watches and new tech. There is a place for everything and everyones personal preferences.

For now it looks like Groupsets are going electronic, perhaps there will be a return. But like LP's and watches the older gen tech will come at a much bigger "Premium" for "Vintage" components.

17 minutes ago, throttles said:

For now it looks like Groupsets are going electronic, perhaps there will be a return. But like LP's and watches the older gen tech will come at a much bigger "Premium" for "Vintage" components.

I think maybe both. Cheap mass production bicycles tend to use all the more traditional types of components (like rim brakes). I think it's probably going to take a bit of time before they become electronic. Although with modern electronics it is hard to tell given how fast the technology tends to move downstream. But conceivably they could be quite rubbishy as well. But I do think that there may be a market for premium analog components. Time will tell!

1 hour ago, MudLark said:

Let me add this.

The world has seen all the electronic and quartz watches you could ever imagine. And yet high end watches are still predominantly analogue. By and large it's the cheaper stuff that is electronic.

Then there was the CD player and now there is pure digital file. But you can still buy vinyl (being pressed again) and turntables, some of very high quality.

It's hard to be sure what the future holds for cycling. But I suspect there will always be a market for good quality mechanical groupsets and rim brake bikes and parts and that that market will always have suppliers. It might be fairly niche and cult but it will be there. It might also end up being, like many watches, a very high quality market. Hard to be sure but maybe.

people also bought power balance bracelets, almond milk and other such things, so I dunno why you are surprised they are pressing vinyl still...

22 hours ago, JA-Q001 said:

Strange enough Campagnolo seems to be the only one going parallel electric only on their top Group atm. Maybe they don't see a cost effective way to truly scale it down.

They have a lot of traditional frame builders in Italy who have customer who spec a bike with mechanical. They would be killing their market. Their market share is is also much smaller than Shimano and SRAM so that would limit trickle down somewhat till they gain more volume for better pricing which is your point around economical way 

On 6/30/2022 at 2:47 PM, Jehosefat said:

But why?

The frame would be completely crap for everything. It would be way too heavy as a road bike and/or way too flimsy as a MTB. You don't need the same gear range for Road vs MTB. You don't have the same geometry across bike types either so 1 frame for everything would be useless.

Who said I need, or want, performance?
Seems you also missed the point... that I would only go electronic, if I get this kind of bike.

I'd want one bike for "I could ride anywhere, any time without major restrictions"; it's the kind of bike one takes on holiday.

If I want an easier feel on the road, swap out the wider wheels for skinny
Need to ride some dirt roads that cuts a very long detour, then use the wider wheels
Fancy a simple coffee ride, go with some short flat bar.

Then, the mind-f*** that it plays on some people when they see a single speed keeping up in a bunch on the road.

I'm electronic everything; the shifter (AXS), the dropper and the bike itself... but the best value for money has been the AXS shifter. To date I've never run out of shifter or dropper battery. I probably charge them every two weeks on average, and they're still "green"/not indicating low power. I've had the shifters now for just over a year.

The dropper is great, easy on my thumb, but it is overpriced for the improvement compared to a Lynne dropper.

Edited by aquaratza