Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

1 minute ago, Pure Savage said:

Used it for our solar set up, was just thinking of getting one without the solar panel for the small flatlet on the property as that geyser just sits on the whole day. 

Using it on its own does not really save much unless your "tank/Geyer" is placed in such a way that it cools quickly

I did the excersize where I switched the geyser on at 5am then off at 6am and then on again at 5pm and off at 6pm for 15 days, and monitored the electricty usage,

Can tell you that we did not see much of a "saving" as our one stayed hot during the day

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

Used it for our solar set up, was just thinking of getting one without the solar panel for the small flatlet on the property as that geyser just sits on the whole day. 

If it is just a matter of it sitting on the whole day maybe look into a simple time you can add on the DB to set it for fixed times to go on and off or if you want a smart timer you can then remotely operate as well and monitor usage etc.  Those might be a bit cheaper if it fits your needs.  Currently going down the rabbit whole of smart switches etc to replace my broken timer on the geyser.

2 minutes ago, -cK- said:

If it is just a matter of it sitting on the whole day maybe look into a simple time you can add on the DB to set it for fixed times to go on and off or if you want a smart timer you can then remotely operate as well and monitor usage etc.  Those might be a bit cheaper if it fits your needs.  Currently going down the rabbit whole of smart switches etc to replace my broken timer on the geyser.

Sonoff ??

Apparently Sonoff also has a geyser unit that allows to monitor the geyser temperature remotely.

Haven't come across that one yet in my research, am leaning more towards the Tuya based stuff.  Will need to go look it up but if you want temps it will in all likelihood mean fiddling with the geyser itself. 

I'm less interested in the temps and more just the ability to override the on/off time remotely to override the timer if Eskom decides to change stages and schedules on nr 99 while at work that messes with my time slots.

17 minutes ago, Quagga said:

Using it on its own does not really save much unless your "tank/Geyer" is placed in such a way that it cools quickly

I did the excersize where I switched the geyser on at 5am then off at 6am and then on again at 5pm and off at 6pm for 15 days, and monitored the electricty usage,

Can tell you that we did not see much of a "saving" as our one stayed hot during the day

putting mine on a geyserwise cut my electricity consumption by 1/3

56 minutes ago, Quagga said:

Nope the PV does not supply power to the geyser (well not in my case)

The water circulates via teh panels and thus gets heated.

The geyser element ONLY get power from Eskom or not at all

Mine have a dual element that can get power from PV and Eskom ... :)

2 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Haven't come across that one yet in my research, am leaning more towards the Tuya based stuff.  Will need to go look it up but if you want temps it will in all likelihood mean fiddling with the geyser itself. 

I'm less interested in the temps and more just the ability to override the on/off time remotely to override the timer if Eskom decides to change stages and schedules on nr 99 while at work that messes with my time slots.

before sonoff brought out their geyser specific device I installed the TH16 smart switch with the temp sensor replacing the thermostat on my geyser. The smart switch does the timing and temp management, but it activates a conductor which takes care of the heavy load to the geyser.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

before sonoff brought out their geyser specific device I installed the TH16 smart switch with the temp sensor replacing the thermostat on my geyser. The smart switch does the timing and temp management, but it activates a conductor which takes care of the heavy load to the geyser.

More research for me to do then 😅

so doing some back of scrap paper math, assuming only a 2kw element on my geyser and taking the top 18k price tag for the geyserwise plus PV panel installation, it will break even after 18 months.

If its a 3kw element and or I find it cheaper than 18k it can pay for itself in a year

Thats not to shabby.

Just now, -cK- said:

More research for me to do then 😅

The beauty of having a smart setup is that it can be controlled from anywhere. Whilst we were away last month I had it off, the day before we were to come back I turned it on. I turned it on early to take into account possible loadshedding on the day of arrival. That way if it heated up the day before and nothing on the day, the water would atleast not be ice cold when we arrived.

I see Geyserwise has an App for remote monitoring and controlling, but no details on their website. 

I’ve emailed them, as requested, and will see what happens. Ideally I’d like to hook it up with Home Automation, and IFTTT. The element only works when pressing the red button, so if we aren’t home, and it UK-like weather then the geyser won’t warm up enough for the Mrs’ liking.

1 minute ago, Frosty said:

I see Geyserwise has an App for remote monitoring and controlling, but no details on their website. 

I’ve emailed them, as requested, and will see what happens. Ideally I’d like to hook it up with Home Automation, and IFTTT. The element only works when pressing the red button, so if we aren’t home, and it UK-like weather then the geyser won’t warm up enough for the Mrs’ liking.

That is the WiFi controllable unit I believe you are referring to that can use that app of them.  Could also not find much info on it for availability in SA think I found a link to it once will go look for it.

Product no longer listed on that link I had and found this just now.

https://www.livestainable.co.za/product/geyserwise-tuya-module-max-solar-geyser-controller-complete-kit/

(Just for reference I do not know the legitimacy of this site as an online shop by any means)

Think they might have just opted to integrate there product with Tuya instead of doing their own app and support of it.🤷‍♂️  Making some assumption right now because the app linked is Tuya Smart not that demo one I think you referring to Frosty.

Edited by -cK-

26 minutes ago, Frosty said:

That would be awesome to remote monitor, please let me know if you find out more.

23 minutes ago, -cK- said:

That is the WiFi controllable unit I believe you are referring to that can use that app of them.  Could also not find much info on it for availability in SA think I found a link to it once will go look for it.

Same as for Frosty, let me know if you find more info please.