Loadshedding solutions

ChrisF

18 minutes ago, taito said:

Thanks I was quoted R 4500 inc --so I will give it a go. I chatted to a mate that runs a battery outlet and it seems the lead/carbons will become the go- to  battery if you dont want to spend the money on Lithium.

Please keep us posted.

With loadshedding at level 4 batteries have a very hard life.  At level 6 it becomes a mission to recharge it in time for the next session ....

It is physically not possible to recharge a lead acid fast enough, this is why they dont last.

A Gel battery can recharge faster, than a lead acid.  But at level 6 even a gel battery cant recharge fully.  

Adding a small pv system to keep the battery full during day time loadsheds makes a massive difference 👍👍

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, ChrisF said:

Please keep us posted.

With loadshedding at level 4 batteries have a very hard life.  At level 6 it becomes a mission to recharge it in time for the next session ....

It is physically not possible to recharge a lead acid fast enough, this is why they dont last.

A Gel battery can recharge faster, than a lead acid.  But at level 6 even a gel battery cant recharge fully.  

Adding a small pv system to keep the battery full during day time loadsheds makes a massive difference 👍👍

PV does make a huge difference.  In the day (when not overcast) my batteries is charging and supply power to the house, regardless whether Eksdom is on or off.

Hence I can easily deal with Stage 6 provided that I get about 3-4 hours of sunshine during the day.

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Please keep us posted.

Thats all assuming you are discharging the battery substantially during LS times. (which I guess most people do as over speccing backup supply is rather costly)

My little trolley inverter is overspecced for what we bought it for, so even though I have a few extra things plugged in, we make sure to not or sparingly use them during LS times. Hopefully this will help the Gel batteries last a little longer.

I must say, nearly a month without eskom, it is bliss. I have relaxed a lot in terms of the battery checking, but it is really not a huge shift in lifestyle once you have it all set up well.

On 12/15/2022 at 3:45 PM, dave303e said:

* silently closes the python sdk being used to build a pipeline from the data logger to a personal db....

on this note, if you are slightly geeky with numbers and tech and you enjoy a bit of home automation then check out home assistant.

https://www.home-assistant.io/

I had it running for a week end of dec as a test on a laptop. I managed to integrate our deye invertor, a few different brands of smart switch, a weather service and a few other things. It is great to have it all in one central local solution. Can access from phone or computers. I am going to get a rasberry pi come month end and will set it up again there. For us we have a  few things like water pumps that need to run daily but only on solar so it is awesome to have it all in one place.

On 12/17/2022 at 7:37 AM, TheoG said:

"The eThekwini Municipality in KZN experienced severe flood damage earlier this year, therefore their load shedding is largely limited due to major infrastructure repairs and maintenance that is ongoing"

This was posted on the Ekurhuleni Ward 106 DA Telegram group as the "excuse" for this 🙈.

So this is a double edge sword. They will end that relief from load shedding. Then eThekwini will be hit with it and not be prepared at all for it. Family from Zim laughed at the South Africans now in Dec. They reckon we are useless at handling it. There it is so bad but it has minimal affect as they are all geared up for it and take it in stride daily. We are not yet all geared up for it and this is why we battle. It is a sad reality for us all that we just need to get geared up and gaan aan. But it is a reality and it is knocking at the door at a lot more places than just 3rd world African countries.

On 12/23/2022 at 5:50 PM, Sir Rides a lot said:

https://lunperformancewheels.co.za/product/xplova-noza-one/

Complete Zwift rides anywhere with 2 AAA batteries.

IMG_20221223_161921_804.jpg

Kickr only pulls 5A i can run mine for over 3 hrs on my DC UPS i use for my modem in fact i can run both the Kickr and the telkom modem for wifi for over 2 hrs - Use ZWIFT & TR on the laptop battery which still lasts for at least 3 hours

My only problem now is i can't use load shedding as an excuse not to train 

45 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I must say, nearly a month without eskom, it is bliss. I have relaxed a lot in terms of the battery checking, but it is really not a huge shift in lifestyle once you have it all set up well.

on this note, if you are slightly geeky with numbers and tech and you enjoy a bit of home automation then check out home assistant.

This is definitely the way to go!

I have a small PC dedicated to this, and as time allows, I'm slowly adding all of my smart switches, inverter etc.

It does take some getting used to though, but it is super powerful

42 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Also something on my list of things I'd like to do.  Off topic Question though which smart switches are you all using.  Don't want to have to go down a rabbit whole of having to custom flash stuff nor am I in the mood to have another clerk at a electronic store look at me with that WTF is he taking about expression when you ask if their smart switches works with home assistant or not.

I like the concept of having my own local control and server and not via a cloud based service that can pull the rug under you at any time.  Just haven't had the time yet to properly look into it. 

5 minutes ago, -cK- said:

Also something on my list of things I'd like to do.  Off topic Question though which smart switches are you all using.  Don't want to have to go down a rabbit whole of having to custom flash stuff nor am I in the mood to have another clerk at a electronic store look at me with that WTF is he taking about expression when you ask if their smart switches works with home assistant or not.

I like the concept of having my own local control and server and not via a cloud based service that can pull the rug under you at any time.  Just haven't had the time yet to properly look into it. 

Also keen to hear what works for "home automation".

I have dipped my toe in this pond .... 3 off Sonoff wifi switches.  FAR cry from automation, but the ability to switch/control circuits while I am away from home is very handy.

2 minutes ago, -cK- said:

having my own local control and server and not via a cloud based service

I dont use Home Assistant (yet). I looked at it once, was not in the mood to figure things out and just left it.

But, along the same lines as your above quote. I'm running sonoff devices. Native firmware and native EWElink app (although integrated into Google Home too). All was running 100%. Until, the dogs decided they wanted more fibre in their diet and climbed into the exposed bit of fibre cable.

Twice. 

In one week.

That left us without internet for an entire week,

At the worst possible time, between Christmas and New Year.

I discovered the cold way that after a certain amount of time of not being able to talk to their greater power in the cloud, that sonoff devices stop running scheduled timers. I climbed into the shower one morning to luke warm water.

So whilst I still had LAN control of the devices, they refused to run the scheduled timers.

So in our old house in JHB we had it all set up quite smartly. I do have a few plug in type smart plugs that are Bneta. Those were a good starting place. We did do the entire houses lighting onto Tuya Smart Switches and then a few of the sockets as well. Alexa was a champ in the office.

Tuya does have home assistant integration and henractech.co.za was always good to us. Quick delivery, good prices and easy to work with.

My learnings were not to many.

The early Tuya switched needed an extra neutral wire. So you had to run another neutral from the switch up through the conduit to the neutral bar. This is a pain in houses and caused many grey hairs, raw knuckles and use of swear words. Then Tuya released the ones that don't need a neutral and it is a 5min install and another 2min to set up. We traveled a lot when we were in jhb so it was a win that lights and radio would come on and off like we were still there. The Tuya switches themselves feel good, they look good as well and of the 11 installed we never had a return or a fault.

My plan moving forward is to integrate a few of our outdoor spotlights onto Tuya Switches.

I am running the water pump on the Bneta currently(also never missed a beat) but I will wire that into a tuya smart breaker switch like the one we used to run our pool pump at old house on.

We will plug alexa back into the loop again as well for convenience.

Then I want the temp and humidity sensors in the shed where the solar is. It is also becoming my new gym. I also want to pop one in the baby's room so we can keep track in winter. 

Smart smoke detector near the fireplace

I also am eyeing out a smart rain gauge, because can you live on a farm without knowing the rainfall.

Ideally I would love control over the electric fence. There is a gateway connector for nemtek, but I may have to write the integration to the home assistant app...

My 2c, get your outdoor lights, pool pump and central lights all on smart switches first. The central and outdoor lights are great. If you get home in the dark you can ask Alexa to turn it all on when you are 5mins away, Enough to scare anyone who may still be there and then you arrive to a lit up house inside and out.

3 minutes ago, dave303e said:

If you get home in the dark you can ask Alexa to turn it all on when you are 5mins away

I have the entire yard as a single scene so turn on all lights. But have never activated or tested the proximity automation as I worry about battery life on my phone having it running, but I do manually activate the scene when I'm close to home and its awesome coming home at night and everything is lit up.

Coming home christmas eve with our internet not working I was unable to activate the scene, was strange having only 1 or 2 lights that are on day/night switches on.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

I dont use Home Assistant (yet). I looked at it once, was not in the mood to figure things out and just left it.

But, along the same lines as your above quote. I'm running sonoff devices. Native firmware and native EWElink app (although integrated into Google Home too). All was running 100%. Until, the dogs decided they wanted more fibre in their diet and climbed into the exposed bit of fibre cable.

Twice. 

In one week.

That left us without internet for an entire week,

At the worst possible time, between Christmas and New Year.

I discovered the cold way that after a certain amount of time of not being able to talk to their greater power in the cloud, that sonoff devices stop running scheduled timers. I climbed into the shower one morning to luke warm water.

So whilst I still had LAN control of the devices, they refused to run the scheduled timers.

I feel your exact pain. Our satellite internet got hit on the 16th and was only fixed 2 days ago. Our mtn and vodacom towers are dead during loadshedding, so we sit with power but zero connection...

Thanks @dave303e

you’ve given my RPi3 a new lease on life.

However, I can’t flash the SD card as I don’t have admin rights on my work laptop, and the MacBook Pro is wireless only. Need to find another way to do this. Perhaps create a folder on the HDD, and then copy across to the SD card.

A word of caution to those DIYING  batteries and inverters etc. There are big things coming. You need to have a proper qualidfied electrician do it. Must have an IE license. If not and something goes wrong no insurance claim. And batteries must be in. A fire proof room like garage. Not house. Solar panels the roof needs to be strengthened ( approved by engineer) the house electrical must have a coc that is valid otherwise this needs to be brought up to date. It is the user or lessers responsibility to make sir etje installation is legal. So you as responsible as the installer. If someone dies and you did not make sure the installation is legal you can be held responsible. Such says the law. That is why you need a proper electrician to do it. Most solar installers are not legally installing solar. And unfortunately you as the owner is responsible. So please make sure you use proper installation companies that are approved by the department of labour. The will have. A licence card. Im part of a group that has inspectors on it including AIA. Be warned 

Attached is a doc from ECA

IMG-20230105-WA0056.jpg

Edited by Theunissa

21 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

A word of caution to those DIYING  batteries and inverters etc. There are big things coming. You need to have a proper qualidfied electrician do it. Must have an IE license. If not and something goes wrong no insurance claim. And batteries must be in. A fire proof room like garage. Not house. Solar panels the roof needs to be strengthened ( approved by engineer) the house electrical must have a coc that is valid otherwise this needs to be brought up to date. It is the user or lessers responsibility to make sir etje installation is legal. So you as responsible as the installer. If someone dies and you did not make sure the installation is legal you can be held responsible. Such says the law. That is why you need a proper electrician to do it. Most solar installers are not legally installing solar. And unfortunately you as the owner is responsible. So please make sure you use proper installation companies that are approved by the department of labour. The will have. A licence card. Im part of a group that has inspectors on it including AIA. Be warned 

Attached is a doc from ECA

IMG-20230105-WA0056.jpg

Uhmmm ... where is the requirement for a flame proof room for the batteries ?

YES as to all the other items. 👍

PS - the topic of batteries and fires have been a hot topic in fire engineering journals and conferences for the last few years.  We do recommend our clients future proof their installations with fire rated battery rooms, but not part of SANS10400 Part T as yet.  Not even in the new draft version.