Let the FOX and SRAM battle commence...

OVERDRIVE

On 7/21/2022 at 8:12 AM, hansolo said:

I get patents but something like this doesn't really feel novel enough to have been patented in the first place and MRP beat them both to market.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mrp-ribbon-fork-review.html

Who started this battle?

SRAM sued Race Face for NW chainring teeth design infringement. Fox then bought RF and the lawsuit. They then retaliated with a lawsuit against SRAM for thru axle design infringement. This ding dong went on for 7years. Fox lost so they challenged the validity of the patent which they then won but they have to pay royalties to SRAM. My uneducated guess is that this lawsuit is for leverage to have the royalties dropped because a bleed valve is an off the shelf item for various hydraulic applications. I suspect this tit for tat will go on till both companies die

Edited by DieselnDust

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

SRAM she’s Race Face for NW chainring teeth design infringement. Fox then ought RF and the lawsuit. They then retaliated with a lawsuit against SRAM for thru axle design infringement. This ding dong went on for 7years. Fox lost so they challenged the validity of the patent which they then won but they have to pay royalties to SRAM. My uneducated guess is that this lawsuit is for leverage to have the royalties dropped because a bleed valve is an off the shelf item for various hydraulic applications. I suspect this tit for tat will go on till both companies die

lawyers win consumer loses, which is sadly the way the cookie crumbles

In my opinion this is stupid. Fox already has Kashima coat (the biggest snake oil in the MTB world) they have no need to be petty over something that like someone mentioned earlier, MRP has been using for ages.

I also think bleed valves are pretty unnescessary and that unless you are constantly changing altitudes then they are yet another thing to add weight, complexibility and cost.

I am not a fox fan and will continue to not be until they price their products more reasonably.