Tyre (not wheel) wobble

Piernas Flacas

10 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Stans Crest have a 2,6Bar rating with a 2,3" tyre. Garage Pressure gauges are not accurate at all.

So just hammering it over 3 bar will eventually end in a bad way. Berm Peak on youtube had similar. If you google it you realise it happens fairly often.20180120_081424.jpg.521105873d202b14dd821c7f315b862f.jpg

Naaaa ... thats just MURPHY ....

If the bike was outside the car it would have been perfect up to 10 bar .....

GARAGE PUMPS .... their gauges are stupidly inaccurate.  And they supply the air at a fast rate.  So very easy to reach 4 bar without even realising it.

Small DIY compressors at home is a different ball game.  I set the pressure reducing valve from the compressor to about 3,5bar.  By the time I get to 2,5 bar at the tire the air flow rate is already very slow, and much easier to keep track of.

Even so .... LOTS of soapy water is used to help it seat easily.

Some of the worst factory accidents relates to gasses under pressure !!!!  Proceed with CARE ....

8 minutes ago, dave303e said:

What you can do as well, put a few cable ties on the seat stays with the end that you usually cut off pointing at the tyre. Trim that end as close to the tyre as possible. Then rotate the wheel and you can figure out where it is bulging or under. It is the quick and dirty way to check for bent rotors and buckled rims. But if you put a few next to each other either side you can see if it is the tyre sitting funny or bulging.

Thanks, I already checked the rim on my truing stand and that's not the issue. 

Torn casing. 2 options - put it on the back wheel where you can't see it, or replace.

Maxxis had a batch of tyres a few years ago that had this issue, and we got quite a few warranties through as a result.

The best way of preventing it is to lubricate the bead when mounting the tyre. Soapy water is the standard, but you can also use tyre lube from your local Speedy if you're feeling fancy.

2 hours ago, dave303e said:

Stans Crest have a 2,6Bar rating with a 2,3" tyre. Garage Pressure gauges are not accurate at all.

So just hammering it over 3 bar will eventually end in a bad way. Berm Peak on youtube had similar. If you google it you realise it happens fairly often.20180120_081424.jpg.521105873d202b14dd821c7f315b862f.jpg

I can understand why your wife laughed she clearly has a good sense of humor. 

1 hour ago, droo said:

Torn casing. 2 options - put it on the back wheel where you can't see it, or replace.

Maxxis had a batch of tyres a few years ago that had this issue, and we got quite a few warranties through as a result.

The best way of preventing it is to lubricate the bead when mounting the tyre. Soapy water is the standard, but you can also use tyre lube from your local Speedy if you're feeling fancy.

Cool, thanks, I think it's time for a new one!

2 hours ago, Piernas Flacas said:

Thanks, I already checked the rim on my truing stand and that's not the issue. 

Just Buy a New Tyre

You Can't Fix That Wobble The Tyre is Damaged

Gooi Weg

5 hours ago, dave303e said:

DON'T

PLEASE DON'T

I MEAN REALLY REALLY PLEASE DON'T!

I have had a tyre blow off the rim, not far from 3 Bar doing this. The bike was in the back of an X1 at a petrol station because I didn't have a compressor at that stage and didn't manage with a pump the first attempt to seat.

When it went boom it destroyed the rim and spokes, sealant went in all directions. Every petrol attendant was running or hit the deck. It took 2 days to clean the car. My ears were ringing for a few days, I had sealant in my eyes and up my nose. The wife just laughed. Really not a fun experience. I will try find a photo. Read your rim owners manual, lots of them are not rated to high pressure.

This is a good 1st check.

The Maxxis Ikon, Rekon and Crossmarx tires are rated to 4.1 bar and the Vittoria Barzo to 4 bar. Just checked mine now.

had a whobble on a crossking 2 from day 1.  thought it was the wheel, trued that still whobbled accepted it and rode it till it was time to replace.  the whobble wasnt noticed on the trail when riding only when i look at it and spin the wheel.

5 minutes ago, Martin PJ said:

The Maxxis Ikon, Rekon and Crossmarx tires are rated to 4.1 bar and the Vittoria Barzo to 4 bar. Just checked mine now.

It is not the tyre that is necessarily the issue. Stan's Crest rims are only rated to 2,6bar for 2,3" tyres. Stan's Arch is 2,6bar on a 2,2 tyre and 2.4bar on a 2,5 tyre. So the tyre may be fine, but are your rims ok for that? That rim was properly buckled after it went boom which leads me to believe the tyre held and the rim failed first.