When an $800 AXS seat post just isn't worth it....

esCape-ist

2 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Agreed, it's a great video, and Seth has always done really cool and quality DIY work, since way back when the channel was still called Seths Bike Hacks. I still doubt any normal person would be willing to forego the warranty on a brand new AXS dropper to try this, instead of just fitting a cable dropper to solve the problem. Especially on a relatively heavy enduro type bike

nobody would spend 800$ on a AXS dropper to put it on this kind of bike, I doubt any XC or Enduro guy ever had the issue that he had ;)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jbr said:

Yeah it’s just content, reasonable investment for a quite interesting video… I mean I watched till the end. 

I liked the idea of moving battery. Besides the cost , the design feature of the battery hanging out back is really suboptimal. 
fitting the battery in front would be preferable but then with the std C1 Reverb being a ground up redesign and a massive improvement I won’t buy a n AXS reverb anyway. And it’s heavy compared to the C1

4 hours ago, esCape-ist said:

Agreed, it's a great video, and Seth has always done really cool and quality DIY work, since way back when the channel was still called Seths Bike Hacks. I still doubt any normal person would be willing to forego the warranty on a brand new AXS dropper to try this, instead of just fitting a cable dropper to solve the problem. Especially on a relatively heavy enduro type bike

The only thing that voided the warranty was the hack saw job on the tit adjust.

the remote battery hack didn’t alter the post at all. Anyone with a 3D printer and some electrical skill could perform that hack.

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

nobody would spend 800$ on a AXS dropper to put it on this kind of bike, I doubt any XC or Enduro guy ever had the issue that he had ;)

Huh? Why not? 

I was also doing some measurements with the old 'eyechrometer'. I wonder if he went with the dropper with 100mm travel. And had the seat post not all the way down in the frame. It might just give the clearance required?

52 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Huh? Why not? 

I've never seen a XC rider with a dropper post perfectly sitting on the seat tube clamp like that, usually when pedalling efficiency is important to you, you want to have you saddle at the right height when the dropper is up. Where it falls when it's down doesn't matter too much. Anything more than a couple of centimeters from the lowest setting, I doubt it is possible that the battery touches the tyre, but maybe, I've had before saddle bags that touched the tyre on hard compressions so I might be wrong ;)

7 hours ago, Jbr said:

I've never seen a XC rider with a dropper post perfectly sitting on the seat tube clamp like that, usually when pedalling efficiency is important to you, you want to have you saddle at the right height when the dropper is up. Where it falls when it's down doesn't matter too much. Anything more than a couple of centimeters from the lowest setting, I doubt it is possible that the battery touches the tyre, but maybe, I've had before saddle bags that touched the tyre on hard compressions so I might be wrong ;)

You need to investigate 'Merican forums more. Those okes are special. Anything that allows post to be above the collar is a waste an is poor design. The steepest seat tube angle is the best bike. The slackest head angle is the bet bike. the lowest bb is the best bike. Basically they're just really stupid

23 hours ago, Jbr said:

You are applying XC and Marathon thinking to a trail bike. 

Basically the reverse of your thinking. 

23 hours ago, Jbr said:

Maybe watch the video - it explains all. He's short, as many riders are and even with his hack, the battery connector was knocked off on a hard hit.  

16 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

You need to investigate 'Merican forums more. Those okes are special. Anything that allows post to be above the collar is a waste an is poor design. The steepest seat tube angle is the best bike. The slackest head angle is the bet bike. the lowest bb is the best bike. Basically they're just really stupid

That's actually not the reason for the hack.

I did watch the video, doesn't change the fact that I have never seen a dropper post set up all the way down like he uses it, either by pure coincidence he's the right size for it to be exactly the right height once the saddle is up, or he just never actually uses his bike to pedal, only to go downhill.

I just doubt people who just go downhill will put 800 bucks in a wireless dropper, they will probably just use a fixed seatpost at the lowest setting or the cheapest dropper they can find.

My opinion is that AXS is targeted for hardcore XC/Enduro guys, and even for enduro guys, pedalling efficiency matters,  so 99% of them won't have their seatpost all the way down like that, so they shouldn't have that problem that Seth has. He even says it in the video "for the 6 of us that have that problem".

Do you know anyone who has had this issue ?

Edited by Jbr

8 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I did watch the video, doesn't change the fact that I have never seen a dropper post set up all the way down like he uses it, either by pure coincidence he's the right size for it to be exactly the right height once the saddle is up, or he just never actually uses his bike to pedal, only to go downhill.

I just doubt people who just go downhill will put 800 bucks in a wireless dropper, they will probably just use a fixed seatpost at the lowest setting or the cheapest dropper they can find.

My opinion is that AXS is only for hardcore XC/Enduro guys, and even for enduro guys, pedalling efficiency matters,  so 99% of them won't have their seatpost all the way down like that, so they shouldn't have that problem that Seth has. He even says it in the video "for the 6 of us that have that problem".

I try my best to make sure my dropper collar is as close to the frame as possible - by buying the longest possible drop my frame can fit at my saddle height. On my last bike (Large) I got it 0.5cm from slammed to my frame with a 200mm dropper. I ride Enduro bikes, I ride marathon bikes, I apply that same logic to all my bikes, and I would buy a Reverb AXS in a heartbeat if I wasn't all about the matchy matchy (my seatpost needs to be Kashima like my suspension - first world problems). So I would say the video addresses a very real problem....

7 minutes ago, Grease_Monkey said:

I try my best to make sure my dropper collar is as close to the frame as possible - by buying the longest possible drop my frame can fit at my saddle height. On my last bike (Large) I got it 0.5cm from slammed to my frame with a 200mm dropper. I ride Enduro bikes, I ride marathon bikes, I apply that same logic to all my bikes, and I would buy a Reverb AXS in a heartbeat if I wasn't all about the matchy matchy (my seatpost needs to be Kashima like my suspension - first world problems). So I would say the video addresses a very real problem....

ok. for me the whole idea of electronic wireless dropper post is silly, and I've had AXS gears on my prev roadbike and on my MTB. so I'm having a hard time picturing gravity riders willing to spend that kind of money on a dropper, but why not !

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

ok. for me the whole idea of electronic wireless dropper post is silly, and I've had AXS gears on my prev roadbike and on my MTB. so I'm having a hard time picturing gravity riders willing to spend that kind of money on a dropper, but why not !

I'm on the side of pretty much paying anything to have a clean cockpit - so AXS is a no brainer for me. But I like gadgety stuff. And now that I am back on cable after riding AXS for a while I am missing it. I have to admit I've never had a wireless dropper though - but I like the idea. 

30 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That's actually not the reason for the hack.

Yes I did watch the video. The scenario he painted isn’t an issue so I think he did it just because he could 

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Yes I did watch the video. The scenario he painted isn’t an issue so I think he did it just because he could 

So he lied and the battery doesn't hit the tyre when the shock bottoms out?