Chain "shaffing" on cassette

AndreJvVZA

Hi Hubbers, 

I changed my 2x to 1x and went for a 34/11-51 setup. Eventhough the shifting is fine, I noticed the chain not bedding onto the cassette properly. There are 118 chain links on the chain. I am lost for an explanation.  Anyone with one? 

0824515266 Andre

16620199787375140634745529631553.jpg

Is it a new cassette? And new chain?
Check the chain wear, might be stretched, and time to replace, cassette looks to be in good shape.
Assuming old chain with new cassette?

11 speed and a 51t on the rear - I think you need a deraileur hanger extender - https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-derailleur-hanger-extender/

Most 11 speed der's can only get to around a 46 size sprocket and you're running a 51. You'll need to replace your cable and probably extend your chain links as well to clear that 51 on the back. If you change the cassette to a 11/46 you should be fine, just check the settings on the 'B' screw nicely (in fact, check it for the 51 set up anyway. You might find the top of the cage catching the 51t sprocket)

Its easy enough to set: 

47 minutes ago, AkwA said:

Is it a new cassette? And new chain?
Check the chain wear, might be stretched, and time to replace, cassette looks to be in good shape.
Assuming old chain with new cassette?

Brand new drive train. 

4 minutes ago, 117 said:

11 speed and a 51t on the rear - I think you need a deraileur hanger extender - https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-derailleur-hanger-extender/

Most 11 speed der's can only get to around a 46 size sprocket and you're running a 51. You'll need to replace your cable and probably extend your chain links as well to clear that 51 on the back. If you change the cassette to a 11/46 you should be fine, just check the settings on the 'B' screw nicely (in fact, check it for the 51 set up anyway. You might find the top of the cage catching the 51t sprocket)

Its easy enough to set: 

I actually have one of them. I will give that a try. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, AndreJvVZA said:

I actually have one of them. I will give that a try. Thanks. 

An extender? 

Dont forget to make your cable and chain longer too

It is a totally typical case of a very common phenomenon called "I just changed one teeny tiny little thing and got struck by lightning"! An alternative name for it is "I meant to spend a hundred and it ended up costing me a thousand" !t is most often found in bicycles (I have some experience), old cars (I have a bit of experience) as well as old houses (I have lots of experience). 😜

Does this happen on all gears, or just the top gear? Could be derailleur alignment, check the limit screws and the B-tension screw.

34 minutes ago, DJR said:

It is a totally typical case of a very common phenomenon called "I just changed one teeny tiny little thing and got struck by lightning"! An alternative name for it is "I meant to spend a hundred and it ended up costing me a thousand" !t is most often found in bicycles (I have some experience), old cars (I have a bit of experience) as well as old houses (I have lots of experience). 😜

100% can confirm.

image.gif.19ee1460bec3efc4dc590a01baa5d5ca.gif

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, AndreJvVZA said:

Hi Hubbers, 

I changed my 2x to 1x and went for a 34/11-51 setup. Eventhough the shifting is fine, I noticed the chain not bedding onto the cassette properly. There are 118 chain links on the chain. I am lost for an explanation.  Anyone with one? 

0824515266 Andre

16620199787375140634745529631553.jpg

Looks Fine to Me

How does it Run ? Smooth or Rough ?

I am also slightly confused, so bear with me real quick, I tend to dumb things down quite a bit to get onto the same page, the word shaffing is tripping me up. I am struggling to grasp what you mean with the picture. So I took yours and added my scribbles 😁

Point 1: This I can see the chain does not sit properly

Point 2: Is this what you mean by Shaffing? So if I understand this word correctly the chain rubs onto the cog higher than the one it currently runs on? 

Point 3: Does the pulley wheel rub or catch onto the cassette when going up to the 51T? 

So that's my questions based on your picture. My next questions based on my vast knowledge and yoda status (:oops:🤮🙈 - I am only joking - where's the Italic font)

What does the guide arm of the rear mech look like when in the highest gear? 

If shaffing is what I understand it to be then your indexing is incorrect. 

Solution to your issue: 

Remove 2 links from the chain and adjust your B screw inwards -probably 1/2 a turn will be good (the one sitting at the top of the rear mech facing towards the hanger). The result will be that the rear mech will run closer to the cassette resulting in the chain engaging more teeth on the cassette. But a word of caution: This is not what the rear mech should look like:

image.png.a105469ba5807a104edf7961fbfc840c.png

16620199787375140634745529631553.jpg.8e1b100ab10181a9f482464b1f0f9e70.jpg

Edited by RobertWhitehead

🤣🤣🤣 thanks a mil for you humor. Yes, you are spot on with your assumptions of my meaning of shaffing in this instance. Will try your advice tomorrow. Cheers. 

Edited by AndreJvVZA