Gear glitch

TSema

12 hours ago, Barry said:

What brand do you use? Will give it a bash. I find Spanjaards make some cool products. Quick easy cleaning of headset, freehubs and anything you need squeaky clean😂

I use wurth pretty much everything and really can't complain at all. I have used spanjaard stuff before and had great success with it and they really do make just about everything haha

I would recommend as above, flush it with brake cleaner and then hit it with spray lube. But first check your cables are all fine and replace them if necessary

If a flush and lube doesn't work, then (if you feel comfortable) you can rebuild the shifter or alternately, take it to someone who can. Once you have done it before, rebuilding a shifter is pretty straightforward and oddly satisfying

15 hours ago, droo said:

11 speed?

If it is, change your cables ASAP, or prepare for your cable to snap mid-ride and be an absolute hack to replace.

There's a sharp bend in the lever that causes the cable to fray and eventually snap inside the lever, and what you're experiencing may be the start of that.

If that doesn't solve your problem, then proceed to the spritzing solutions.

Yip my 10S Ultegra was badly frayed in the same place....

11 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

I use wurth pretty much everything and really can't complain at all. I have used spanjaard stuff before and had great success with it and they really do make just about everything haha

I would recommend as above, flush it with brake cleaner and then hit it with spray lube. But first check your cables are all fine and replace them if necessary

If a flush and lube doesn't work, then (if you feel comfortable) you can rebuild the shifter or alternately, take it to someone who can. Once you have done it before, rebuilding a shifter is pretty straightforward and oddly satisfying

My brother once opened a 9S Shimano shifter and it was waaaay complicated. Had to buy a new shifter... 😃 

2 hours ago, love2fly said:

My brother once opened a 9S Shimano shifter and it was waaaay complicated. Had to buy a new shifter... 😃 

With the right knowlege, pretty much any shifter can be rebuilt. I have done a fair amount in my time and have had great success with all.

But yeah, geberally shitmano is more finicky than SRAM

2 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

With the right knowlege, pretty much any shifter can be rebuilt. I have done a fair amount in my time and have had great success with all.

But yeah, geberally shitmano is more finicky than SRAM

Pull an 11sp Shimano roadie shifter apart, and reassemble it.

For science.

5 hours ago, droo said:

Pull an 11sp Shimano roadie shifter apart, and reassemble it.

For science.

I rarely ever work on road stuff, so I can't speak for that. I have rebuilt a few shimano trigger shifters and a fair amount of SRAM. I can confirm I much prefer the latter haha