Thule Euroway platform bikerack issue

MORNE

So i discovered an issue with my thule euroway bikerack yesterday. My flippen stupid long cotic rocket (-1350mm wheelbase) is impossible to mount to it securely. It fits on the rack at the wheels when it’s stretched to its max, but the design flaw in the rack is the fixed points for the wheel straps, so where they end up and where they need to be to fix the wheels in place are worlds apart. A strap about 2x the length of the stock one should solve the issue i guess.
The only way i could get it mounted was to invert the fork at the front to effectively shorten the wheelbase by enough to get the straps to reach…but even then I can only manage to get them to go one notch/click in by compressing the tyres.

Has anyone else with longer geo trail/mtbs figured out how to mcgyver this? Its such a dumb issue, how they could not foresee this issue in the age of longer slacker bikes is beyond me. 

edit: i guess this is the solution:

https://www.thule.com/en-za/bike-rack/towbar-bike-rack-accessories/thule-xxl-fatbike-wheel-straps-_-985000

Edited by MORNE

Such a stupid issue in my opinion. Inherent design flaws like this get my panties in such a bunch. They should give those R400 longer straps with the thing when you consider their dumb R8000 rack is basically only good enough for road and kid sized bikes in this day and age. Not everyone buys a ford ranger and a tailgate pad to hang their trail bike off lol

Edited by MORNE

There's an allen key bolt at the bottom that can move the straps no? I think that's what i did on mine

Flip the rack upside down and you should locate them

Yep, same problem with mine. Longer straps do work but still effective for me. I even contacted Thule about an extension, but nothing available.

I am now looking at adding either a longer platform or getting an ezrack

20 minutes ago, Eddy Gordo said:

Yep, same problem with mine. Longer straps do work but still effective for me. I even contacted Thule about an extension, but nothing available.

I am now looking at adding either a longer platform or getting an ezrack

So i went to go get the straps now, and apparently the euroway is now poverty level because the substantially more expensive velospace and XT folding versions have a sliding strap setup that solves this ‘issue’

Man such a small thing but it makes life so difficult,

Maybe if enough people complain and let them know what the problem is they will fix it on the next euroway  

Could they not mount the whole strap thing to the wheel things.

It makes more sense that way 

2 hours ago, Meezo said:

Here's mine and it is about half way my bike is 1200m

IMG_20220917_132820.jpg

My gravel bike is 1.2m but tyat fits fine. 😅

👍

he did mention that people do this at the store though, but according to him, whether true or not🤷‍♂️, the fact that the hooked in position means the bike gets pulled/ braced down at an angle like /   And   \  ( if that mak s sense) means it is better secured. I get that but techically you can achieve yhr same with your method, although not AS secure being unhooked.

Edited by MORNE

13 minutes ago, MORNE said:

My gravel bike is 1.2m but tyat fits fine. 😅

👍

he did mention that people do this at the store though, but according to him, whether true or not🤷‍♂️, the fact that the hooked in position means the bike gets pulled/ braced down at an angle like /   And   \  ( if that mak s sense) means it is better secured. I get that but techically you can achieve yhr same with your method, although not AS secure being unhooked.

He talk kuk! I get it hooks to the end but still feels as stiff as it should. 

1200 is wheelbase but it's a medium. 

3 minutes ago, Meezo said:

He talk kuk! I get it hooks to the end but still feels as stiff as it should. 

1200 is wheelbase but it's a medium. 

I know right. Those guys generally dont know anything of real value. Even asked me if i would be able to fit the straps on my own haha.
I got the longer straps anyway but will check this out too. Id did think along those lines yesterday when checking the thing out when i discovered the issue, but just wanted to go ride so left it at that.

Thanks!

On 9/17/2022 at 1:33 PM, MORNE said:

Exactly. Not everyone has only OTB inducing bicycles…

Shame

Edited by dasilvarsa