MTB Aero Bars

kappiemouton1985

Hi Guys

So, I cycle about 3-4 time a week, MTB only. I like the longer distances (80-120km) on weekends etc. I would like to train a bit more for events like the trans baviaans, Karoo burn etc. So I came across the aero bars (FARR) for mtb. I like to ride with my arms over the handlebars on the long stretches', so was wondering if the aerobars on the mtb is really that great seeing that they go for around R2500.

Does anybody use them, what are the pro's and cons?

Cheers

49 minutes ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Hi Guys

So, I cycle about 3-4 time a week, MTB only. I like the longer distances (80-120km) on weekends etc. I would like to train a bit more for events like the trans baviaans, Karoo burn etc. So I came across the aero bars (FARR) for mtb. I like to ride with my arms over the handlebars on the long stretches', so was wondering if the aerobars on the mtb is really that great seeing that they go for around R2500.

Cheers

I use the Farr bars on my bike (the original carbon ones). They work well on long district roads. and are also great for mounting a light.

I don't race often, but I suspect that you will find that the majority of endurance events allow them. I think 361 may be the exception.

PS one for sale in the classified

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/handlebars/585039/ride-farr-carbon-aero-bar

Edited by Dusty

Thanks Dusty

I guess i will mail them beforehand.
Also, i see you get the aero bar and also a mount on version. I was think of the mount version. Would you rathe go for the integrated one or would the mount work perfectly?

3 minutes ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Thanks Dusty

Also, i see you get the aero bar and also a mount on version. I was think of the mount version. Would you rathe go for the integrated one or would the mount work perfectly?

I have only used the mount on version (like the link to the classified) and not the integrated one. I've used it extensively and been quite happy. Easy to install and take off when needed.

Edited by Dusty

1 hour ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Thanks Dusty

I've considered these, the add-on one seems like a good solution for an additional hand position.

The integrated one has no rise and pretty much no backsweep, so unless you ride very hunched over and in the attack position all the time that just sounds like sore wrists/shoulders to me. 

4 hours ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Hi Guys

Cheers

few options to get a different riding style without too much to add.

https://bermstyle.com/inner-bar-ends-for-mtb-handlebars-three-options-for-alternative-hand-positions/

or you can just make your own with bar ends and some tape.

6 hours ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Hi Guys

Cheers

My friends that do Trans Baviaans and a range of similar longer rides use "Ergo grips", similar to https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product?a=griffe

It allows so many different positions, and allows you continually move your hands.

Very few ultra distance races allow aero bars. The Munga allows it as well as the Munga Grits. The MATSA 100 miler allows the use of Aero Bars. I not sure of others that do. I checked out the Karoo Burn site last week and they clearly state that the use of Aero Bars is prohibited.

Have you considered a Jones Bar? Legal in all races and offers so many options. 

IMO aero bar ftw but when disallowed, I use a Jones Bar. 

1 hour ago, Vetseun said:

Very few ultra distance races allow aero bars. The Munga allows it as well as the Munga Grits. The MATSA 100 miler allows the use of Aero Bars. I not sure of others that do. I checked out the Karoo Burn site last week and they clearly state that the use of Aero Bars is prohibited.

Have you considered a Jones Bar? Legal in all races and offers so many options. 

IMO aero bar ftw but when disallowed, I use a Jones Bar. 

This looks most interesting :thumbup:

Are there local distributors ?

The images on their website seems like the bars sweep back a lot more than normal bars ....  I would be tempted for a "normal layout" plus the bit to the front.

10 hours ago, kappiemouton1985 said:

Hi Guys

Cheers

Get aerobars that have stackable risers so you can raise the pads and extensions. Look at Profile Designs rather than the Farr products. For long distance off road riding you want the aerobars high, wide and as far back towards you as they will go. Think comfort and control not aero.

Get the position right and it will become your most comfortable cycling position. Get it wrong and you won't end up using the aerobars very much at all.