Which mtb pedals?

Mtbiker404

I am looking to buy new mtb pedals. I have used Shimano XT and XTR, as well as Look S-Track. Here are the problems that I have encountered with these pedals:

Shimano:

- vertical play and just way too much of a detached loose feel (try to properly pedal in circles, very annoying with Shimano pedals)

- regular maintenance

Look S-Tracks:

- play at the axle out of the box, becomes worse with time

- regular maintenance

I prefer the Looks since the play at the axle is less worse as the detached vertical float of Shimano pedals. I also like the fact that the Looks are lighter, but now I need new pedals.

Does all spd pedals suffer from the same flaw of not having a secure connection to the pedal? (KCNC and Ritchey, new Look).

What mtb pedal would you recommend that has no play in axle and has a secure connection, is light, and is not too bad to maintain? The most important thing for me though is to have a solid connection.

Im surprised at the vertical play comment , have you tried tightening the release? 

I run my xt's at near full tension and have never experienced what you describeing, this might be down to shoes ...my hellcats had some play but my kestrel's have been flaw less along with the pedals that are near 8 years old.

Time pedals might be something worth looking at for you , local backup is there 

Over the years I have tried virtually all platforms, and always go back to Shimano XT. I do replace the cleats every now and then to prevent play and also run them quite tight and the rubber treads on my shoes are also generally good to make sure there is nice engagement. XTR the seals keep on backing out, so not a fan. So not sure why you would be having such a different experience as my XT’s are great! By far better than the other options I’ve tried and bomb proof as well.

4 minutes ago, Murrob said:

Over the years I have tried virtually all platforms, and always go back to Shimano XT. I do replace the cleats every now and then to prevent play and also run them quite tight and the rubber treads on my shoes are also generally good to make sure there is nice engagement. XTR the seals keep on backing out, so not a fan. So not sure why you would be having such a different experience as my XT’s are great! By far better than the other options I’ve tried and bomb proof as well.

The problem with XTs is the vertical play, not having a connection to the bike that feels solid. I am not able to pedal in circles without being annoyed by the play. I do not think this is a worn cleat issue, more like a design flaw that is present out of the box. I will try again with new cleats, but I have little hope that this will resolve the vertical play problem.

Edited by Mtbiker404

1 hour ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I am looking to buy new mtb pedals. I have used Shimano XT and XTR, as well as Look S-Track. Here are the problems that I have encountered with these pedals:

Shimano:

- vertical play and just way too much of a detached loose feel (try to properly pedal in circles, very annoying with Shimano pedals)

- regular maintenance

Look S-Tracks:

- regular maintenance

I prefer the Looks since the play at the axle is less worse as the detached vertical float of Shimano pedals. I also like the fact that the Looks are lighter, but now I need new pedals.

Does all spd pedals suffer from the same flaw of not having a secure connection to the pedal? (KCNC and Ritchey, new Look).

What mtb pedal would you recommend that has no play in axle and has a secure connection, is light, and is not too bad to maintain? The most important thing for me though is to have a solid connection.

SPD pedal cleat are thick and are prone to get polished and worn at the pedal interface tabs, hence the verrtical play. the only way to solve it is new cleats and new shoes. Once the shoe lugs wear the vertical play comes back.

Time and Eggbeater pedals will suffer the same fate eventually as this problem is really just down to system wear i.e Shoes lugs, cleats pedal body

When it comes to MTB pedals - Shitmano are bullet proof, and that be a real big statement coming from me. I used them for years and never had an issue

I now run LOOK X-Trails, also very happy with them.

Vertical play ? never experienced that, i'm sure something else is not lekka - I would mount the shoe in the pedal and try see why there is play is, something must be worn and needs adjustment.

Axle play - I would have taken them back - there should never be any axle play - It means there is a worn bush or bearing

Yea shimano spd pedals are the bar everything clipless gets measured against for good reason i think. Those things are just bullet proof. The Cockroaches will use them on our bikes long  after the apocalypse lol.

edit: i have shimano’s, looks and recently some VP VX-7000 (fraction of the cost of xt). All basically the same thing and work flawlessly…but i expect the shimanos to outlast all of them.

31CFAD4F-C20E-4237-9314-80889C424A33.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

I've run Shimano pedals since 1999 and never experienced play as you have described.

Recently sold my XT pedals that I had for 4 years. Not a single mishap from them.

Currently on XT trail pedals and they are the best I've had yet.

I use only Shimano XT pedals on 3 different bikes . All sets were bought as used from Bike Hub members . When i got them i immediately serviced them by loosening all the tension screw /allen key bolts and washing all the dirt out  . I then cleaned the shafts and replaced  new water proof grease . Today 60,000 km later i have not had a days trouble . I have replaced cleats on the same pair of Capestorm shoes only 3 times because the left foot which i  unclip when approaching mud , water , rough uneven terrain and stop and traffic lights wears out more and gets a slight squeak and more sideways movement on it . I find the Marvel  cleats are more durable than the Shimano . Upper movement on the pedals or cleats is NIL .  

Shimano mM520 etc are an excellent budget choice....never had any hassle with pedals like this over the last 20 years or so....flawless so far 

I'm really quite surprised that so few have experienced some vertical slack in their SPD to cleat interface. How tight are you making the bindings? Wear is a normal thing and I've found this happens to all model of SPD, ATAC or other binding mechanism. The same happens with road pedals whether SPD-R, iClic, Look or Speedplay.

Or are you using those trail sneakers like look takkies with firm rubber soles that can compress quite a bit? I'm genuinely interested to understand how you're avoiding this vertical play

26 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I'm really quite surprised that so few have experienced some vertical slack in their SPD to cleat interface. How tight are you making the bindings? Wear is a normal thing and I've found this happens to all model of SPD, ATAC or other binding mechanism. The same happens with road pedals whether SPD-R, iClic, Look or Speedplay.

Or are you using those trail sneakers like look takkies with firm rubber soles that can compress quite a bit? I'm genuinely interested to understand how you're avoiding this vertical play

on my 2Fo as well as my spez xc shoes the cleat channel is deep enough that they dont catch on the floor when walking in them. obviously thats a different story when you are hiking a bike offroad though. I run my cleats as loose as possible too - and then some haha. The look cleats on my xc shoes look proper secondhand by now, and the 2Fo's have some new ryder cleats on them. they feel exactly the same to me across the pedals on my bikes...although i like that the Look's can be set even looser than my shimano's and my latest VP ones. It's weird....i want that crisp click of a spd, but also want it to go in/come out very easy. on the contrary, I dont like how Crankbrothers interface 'feels'. It's almost 'mushy'. none of that reassuring tactile 'click' going on. 

Maybe im dumb and dont feel vertical play, or maybe it is becasue i prefer all that 'float' anyway - doesnt bother me...cant feel it. 

56 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

What should this feel like?

14 minutes ago, M L said:

What should this feel like?

theres usually just a bit of vertical play between cleat and clamps due to tolerances. So unless the shoe lugs are taking up the slack its almost always there

On 10/14/2022 at 12:55 PM, Mtbiker404 said:

Shimano:

- regular maintenance

Look S-Tracks:

- regular maintenance

I have at least ten sets of shimano XT pedals .I don,t know about play ,unless your cleat is worn 

Edited by eala