Which data fields do you use

babse

So I just swapped from a Garmin edge 520 to a 130plus .

Obviously with the 130 being significantly smaller it will take some getting used to.

My previous setup was 6 fields which I'm looking at simplifying with the smaller unit.

I'm thinking!?

Training:

Lap timer & power, cadence and HR 

Racing:

Elapsed timer, distance, speed, HR, total ascend (mentally this is important if I do not know the route)

Keen to hear what data fields you use for training and racing?

Mmmh I use mostly the 2 first datascreens and the following 2 are for additionnal info like the prev laps avg power or temperature/np etc

i also have other pages for specific stuff like current speed/avg speed for TTs (once a year 😅😅) or lap speed for XCO (once a decade 🤣)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Jbr

11 minutes ago, babse said:

3s power because more stable than instant power? Should give it a go...

@Jbrall the data will give me a headache on my tiny screen 

You don’t really need all the data, depending on what matters to you, for me the most important part 80% or the time is to try to stay in z2 and track volume while not getting a divorce so timer/time of day/pwr/avg pwr/hr/avg hr. Distance and speed don’t matter so much. I do like to track ascent though, but my garmin tracks it really bad and doesn’t want to recalibrate so it’s pretty useless data on my unit at the moment.

for intervals I guess your timer/power/lap power is all you need, I like to add cadence because I tend to sometimes settle in a cadence that’s not very efficient, but honestly comparing my current power and leg-feel should normally be enough to realise I should probably change cadence 🤣🤣

Edited by Jbr

1 hour ago, 'Dale said:

I swipe here occasionally to monitor the more technical side of training 

CDC9BA75-1C4B-4B69-A94D-6659BC7F3554.jpeg

Which Garmin model is this? I'm currently using my Fenix, but it is just too small for all these kind of "reads". Do you "use" all this data whilst riding?

Page 1
Time of day
Speed
Distance
Elapsed time

The rest of the pages (4) show everything else, but I seldom look at it, unless I'm doing interval training.

Page 2
Lap time
Lap power
Lap HR
Lap Cadence
Power zone

1 hour ago, duringd said:

Which Garmin model is this? I'm currently using my Fenix, but it is just too small for all these kind of "reads". Do you "use" all this data whilst riding?

7 hours ago, 'Dale said:

I swipe here occasionally to monitor the more technical side of training 

CDC9BA75-1C4B-4B69-A94D-6659BC7F3554.jpeg

Yeah some vital fields you have there.

I almost always browse over those data but only post workout. 

Since I don’t have power (meter) I use the following on my main screen on my 130. 

speed

elapsed time

avg speed | distance

% max HR | cadence

With the above 6 field format speed and elapsed time are a bigger font

i then have another screen that show elevation. 

On 10/22/2022 at 4:29 PM, Jbr said:

You don’t really need all the data, depending on what matters to you, for me the most important part 80% or the time is to try to stay in z2 and track volume while not getting a divorce so timer/time of day/pwr/avg pwr/hr/avg hr. Distance and speed don’t matter so much. I do like to track ascent though, but my garmin tracks it really bad and doesn’t want to recalibrate so it’s pretty useless data on my unit at the moment.

for intervals I guess your timer/power/lap power is all you need, I like to add cadence because I tend to sometimes settle in a cadence that’s not very efficient, but honestly comparing my current power and leg-feel should normally be enough to realise I should probably change cadence 🤣🤣

Chooses friends wisely when trying to achieve z2... Lol or even when hitting some efforts (last time I did some 5mins efforts with a mates, he cleaned the floor with me) 🥲

I think simplifying with some extra pages may be best. I've previously never really switched pages during a ride except when checking the time of day. 

the only things i need to know while riding are speed, 3sec power and HR. easy to read. give me everything i need and nothing i don't. I have another page for distance, avg speed, avg HR, temp etc etc, but those things don't really matter when I'm riding.

Edited by lechatnoir

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

surprised to see how important speed seem to be for you guys 😅

well if you know your average speed needs to be x in order to hit your target time for the distance, but its currently x - 2, then its helps to know that your current speed is x + 5 so your average is increasing instead of if it was x -5 and decreasing.

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

well if you know your average speed needs to be x in order to hit your target time for the distance, but its currently x - 2, then its helps to know that your current speed is x + 5 so your average is increasing instead of if it was x -5 and decreasing.

I find looking at speed/avg speed is the best way to fail your recovery/zone2 rides. When you train with a power meter / do polarized training I think speed data screens are your enemy, except for the races when it's interesting to know the pace (avg speed) to help make the right decisions.