Best bike parks in and around Cape Town?

Eldron

1 hour ago, Eldron said:

Mmmmmm GRTP. Best park I have ever ridden! Always nice to tip your helmet to Matt's loop of doom (is it still there?).

WOAH WOAH WOAH hold the fkin fone there batman. You live in Europe and GRTP is the best bike park you've ridden?

7 hours ago, Eldron said:

A customer of mine and I have decided to skip the cold weather here in Denmark and ride bike parks in and around Cape Town in Jan 2023.

I did a similar thing around 6 years and rode trails all the way from Cape Town to PE and back. Garden Route Trail Park was by far my favourite route - is it still in good nick? Worth the drive? Sedgefield and Knysna are close by too....

We'll probably set up two hubs - 1 week in Cape Town and 1 week in Knysna.

The contenders are: 

Cape Town: Hillcrest, Tokai, Bloemendal, Jonkershoek, Meerendal, Hoogekraal, Hemel en Aarde

Knysna: Garden Route, Harkerville, 

I'm sure there are new ones and I have forgotten/missed many. Please educate me!

Greyton!!!

Edited by guidodg

7 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Banhoek , Boschendal, Plaisir all link up and you can have some excellent fun that side in a fantastic setting. Also, you can ride all that on one R60 day-pass (at current tariffs)

I don't think you can have a better day than this in the Cape.

5 hours ago, Eldron said:

I am open to anything that is fun. I'm keen to show my customer some Cape beauty.

We'll probably avoid the big rock garden/proper gap jump kinda stuff  (holidays that end in broken collar bones aren't fun). 

Bike parks appeal because you don't need to do much navigating but please offer away - I'm happy for any and all info.

my suggestion would be split the Cape into 4 or 5 days

Day 1: Do Tokai and Silvermine (Noordhoek peaks - proper epic views) and then come down the single tracks like Donkey and the Snakes. If that is too easy then Mast is a sufferfest  but the beautiful scenery its worth it. You can then take Bridal path and finish off with Vasbyt on your way down.

Day 2: Around Table Mountain, string together Constantia nek to Newlands, Table Mountain, Camps Bay, 12 apostles trail and then into Hout Bay and come back up to the Nek. you can chuck in a few single track sections on Table Mountain, Lions Head and The Glen if you feeling for something more spicey. Once again this will really show off our City's beauty.

Day 3: Jonkershoek - just that. Ride everything you can and bring your climbing legs  

Day 4: String together Plasir, Boschendal and Banhoek Conservancy. Among the best trails we have.

Day 5: Here i would decide either Helderberg, Wellington (Wild Boar trails), or Paarl trails. Alternatively if you can ride Elgin Grabouw that would be a win too.

Hope you guys have a blast whatever you decide

Edited by Yyyy

12 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

WOAH WOAH WOAH hold the fkin fone there batman. You live in Europe and GRTP is the best bike park you've ridden?

Guilty as charged your honour!

2 hours ago, Eldron said:

Guilty as charged your honour!

You need to get a little active down south when your summer rolls around next year

When in the Garden Route, spend a day in Witfontein. It'll be easier with a guide, but there are a few in the area that I can put you in touch with if you'd like.

Otherwise Trailforks and a GPS will get you most of the places you should be.

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

You need to get a little active down south when your summer rolls around next year

Between getting the business up and running, racing duathlon/xterra/gravel and having to visit family in 2 countries (expat tax!) time is a little short....it is definitely on the to do list though.

I will certainly ask for your advice when I do. Some of your pics have had me drooling on my keyboard....

23 minutes ago, Eldron said:

Between getting the business up and running, racing duathlon/xterra/gravel and having to visit family in 2 countries (expat tax!) time is a little short....it is definitely on the to do list though.

I will certainly ask for your advice when I do. Some of your pics have had me drooling on my keyboard....

I NEEEEED TO GO BACK THERE