[Event] Winelands Cycle Race

Paarl Rotary

On 1/20/2023 at 9:20 AM, Jbr said:

at first I thought "maybe inaugural doesn't mean what I think it does"

Jbr,

To those old enough this is the exact Engen Dynamic race route of the early 2000's. The race ran from Nelson's Creek estate between Windmeul and the 4-way stop to Wellington along the same route as this one.

Hope y'all had a good one yesterday. The wind was a nuisance. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Mook said:

The wind only picked up later in the morning. We had a taste of some cross winds, and then turned into the headwind before the tailwind finale. Those that started later likely battled all the way from Malmesbury...

48 minutes ago, Mook said:

Jbr,

To those old enough this is the exact Engen Dynamic race route of the early 2000's. The race ran from Nelson's Creek estate between Windmeul and the 4-way stop to Wellington along the same route as this one.

Hahaha

Engin dynamic 47km was my first ever road race.

Ironically yesterday's winner was the exact same winner of the long route back then MTN's Jaco Venter 😅

5 hours ago, PappaWatTrap said:

That’s me in the light blue shirt at the back. I saw you taking the selfie and probably a km afterwards I was dropped like a rock. Bonked so hard I thought of taking a nap on the shoulder of the guy next to me. 

I think you and I chatted a bit, I was in the NASA top with blue helmet. Also hit the wall like I was angry with it. Slow suffer to the finish. 

In terms of the event, I was also a late entry, decided on Friday to participate, super impressed with the organisation and marshalling of the event. And being an ex Gautie, was very happy with the roads, and the views! Just super! Wind was not much of a factor, just a bit of a head wind for about 10-15km worth with a light cross elsewhere, but if you started a bit later you might have had a tougher time.

Guys in F (which I thought would be a chilled ride) went out proper hard in the beginning, the group got split right after the neutral, tried to play a bit of catch with the split and ultimately paid for it. All those Christmas fruit mince pies and only mtb riding…

4 minutes ago, Murrob said:

I think you and I chatted a bit, I was in the NASA top with blue helmet. Also hit the wall like I was angry with it. Slow suffer to the finish. 

In terms of the event, I was also a late entry, decided on Friday to participate, super impressed with the organisation and marshalling of the event. And being an ex Gautie, was very happy with the roads, and the views! Just super! Wind was not much of a factor, just a bit of a head wind for about 10-15km worth with a light cross elsewhere, but if you started a bit later you might have had a tougher time.

Guys in F (which I thought would be a chilled ride) went out proper hard in the beginning, the group got split right after the neutral, tried to play a bit of catch with the split and ultimately paid for it. All those Christmas fruit mince pies and only mtb riding…

Yeah I was in said F group as well, I managed to hold on until Bothmanskloof climb. At the foot of the climb I immediately realized I burned most of my matches and was dropped by the first of many groups yesterday. Humbling moment seeing that I wanted to move a group up😅

7 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

The wind only picked up later in the morning. We had a taste of some cross winds, and then turned into the headwind before the tailwind finale. Those that started later likely battled all the way from Malmesbury...

Was my first road race in 30 years, ignoring last year's Argus swimathon.

The e-bikes started at 6:33.  Heading out of Wellington I saw a lot of H bunch riders.  On the ups the ebike kept up nicely.  On the steep downs the lead sled and gravity worked nicely .... Slight downhills and levels they would pull a gap .... but then the next hill allowed me to catch up again ....

Was fun trying to hang in there with the roadies until Malanshoogte.

Once we turned there was a good breeze from the front - this was just before 8:00.

By 9:00 the wind was picking up, and more and more roadies were taking a breather behind me ....

Me working my butt off to maintain my pace ... and I am hearing the freehubs idling along nicely as the roadies recover .... :P

After 10:00 the wind and the temperature must have picked up .... 

GLAD I regularly do the Philladelphia ride .... getting used to the wind on the return run .... :thumbup:

9 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Has anyone seen photo's posted somewhere?

Saw a couple of official looking photographers .... I know the one lined up and got a few picks of me ....

Would love to see those picks .....

13 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I have asked what the costs are for high res photos .... 

I'm a blurry blob right at the back of the sprint finish. Not sure higher resolution will be of much help to me...

49 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

I'm a blurry blob right at the back of the sprint finish. Not sure higher resolution will be of much help to me...

at least you could still identify yourself in that finish shot... 

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

I sent a screen grab of a pic of me to Sieb.

He searched his records and turns out he has 10 photos of me.

A package of 5 high res photos for a very reasonable price.

Looking forward to seeing what else he got of me ..... :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mrdaynes said:

Any idea when one might expect RaceTec to finalise the seeding for the Winelands Race this year?

These days (last couple of years) they don't process seeding after events, but rather just before it's needed for the next event so probably about 2 weeks from now.

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

These days (last couple of years) they don't process seeding after events, but rather just before it's needed for the next event so probably about 2 weeks from now.

VERY interested to see what they do with the e-bike times in terms of seeding.

At the 2022 CTCT there were maybe 5 or 6 ebikes in the last group .... and about 300 e-bike entrants.

• 1 year later...

Is there a 2024 page?  if not.  Really enjoyed the ride/race today.  Always a winner when there is potatoes at the water points. ;-)

And lucky that the weather played along