Newbie At the Cradle

silkman

I wanted to go out to the Cradle and have heard there are 2 "loops". Firstly, where do I park? And secondly, how do I know where to go for the longer or shorter loop?

TIA

you can park at any of the spots on the loop

avianto, bidons, neck and deck, bru

there are more spots but these are the more popular and where i have parked before

a full loop is about 28.53 kms

if you do a loop plus the segment up to the caves and back that adds about 20 km both directions

There are a couple of places to park, Bidon, Bru Coffee, Colour Country, Rhino & Lion Park etc. There are more than 2 loops depending on how you ride.

The shorter loop is basically the MTB loop which starts and end at Bidon which is about 27km's (you can join at other places to ending at the same place). The longer loops is basically extensions from the short loop where you can add in the cave loop, going past the caves turn off straight to the N14 intersection and back. There is also the section on both the Lanseria roads where you can either just do an out and back or the loop. Depending where you parked you can go towards Muldersdrift and back or through Muldersdrift to the Beyers Naude intersection then heading back to Bidon on Beyers Naude.

You can add in all at once or a combination.

Thanks guys. So if I park at Bidon and just ride following the road, I can get 27km. How do I make sure I don't end up on the longer route- I just want to do the 27km -btw I ride a road bike

Edited by silkman

Depending on the direction you take from Bidon, the instructions / route will differ.

If going down the hill towards Rhino Lion Park, you turn right at the circle at the bottom, then straight on at the "middle" circle, and right again at the "top" circle, then right again back to Bidon by the Satellite Dish, straight back to Bidon

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to join the Cycle Lab Academy group from Neck and Deck.

Every Saturday with marshalled groups. Different speeds and distances.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:39 PM, Spirog said:

Feel free to DM me if you'd like to join the Cycle Lab Academy group from Neck and Deck.

Every Saturday with marshalled groups. Different speeds and distances.

with respect to Spirog

before joining  a cycle lab group do a search here on cycle lab groups and see feedback about these guys

then decide if you want to join them

Cradle loop and a bit of a rant - share the road - Cycling Safety - Bike Hub

Edited by rorydewet

@rorydewetI'm happy to debate the pro's and con's of Cycle Lab with you anytime.... On this thread, I'm just trying to help a newbie navigate their way into the wonderful world of cycling. 

1 hour ago, Spirog said:

@rorydewetI'm happy to debate the pro's and con's of Cycle Lab with you anytime.... On this thread, I'm just trying to help a newbie navigate their way into the wonderful world of cycling. 

cool

no axe to grind here mate

same sentiment as you just trying to help a newbie

and hey i think most groups in cradle are seen in same manner by single riders so to be fair not a cycle lab issue

but hey ill see you in the cradle the weekend

On 11/7/2022 at 11:18 AM, silkman said:

Thanks guys. So if I park at Bidon and just ride following the road, I can get 27km. How do I make sure I don't end up on the longer route- I just want to do the 27km -btw I ride a road bike

where do you stay ?

personally for me, heading out to the cradle to do 27km is a big waste, but then I'm over an hour away by car.

3 minutes ago, silkman said:

about 20 mins from the cradle. Usually I go to Nacrec and do  loops there.

in that case cradle makes perfect sense.

Depending on where exactly you stay I'd just ride to the cradle do a route and ride home.