• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, FondTF2 said:

Black Friday Special??

What is the duration of the promotion?

The duration of the promotion is from 15/11/2022 at 10:00 am and will end on 27/12/2022 at 23:59 pm Central African Time. The promotion is subject to stock availability. The promotion cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.

3 hours ago, HdB said:

The Magene uses the standard ANT+ protocol for this, so should work the same as the Garmin in terms of allowing the head unit (Garmin, Wahoo, any that support the specification) to beep.

If I remember correctly from GPLama's video, the only thing that was odd with the Magene was that it would not flash again if another car entered the radar's range if the previous one had not left it yet. I'm not sure what my Garmin one does, to be honest. Plus this is something that can be changed with a software update.

At the same price, I'd go with the Garmin. Whichever you choose, it really is an awesome tool.

Garmin rear light will flash according to the profile you set it at, but as soon as a car is detected, it will pulse brightly and rapidly for a few cycles then revert back to the set profile. (steady ON (HIGH Intensity, NONE Flash), NIGHT flash (HIGH, SLOW), DAY flash (MAX, OCCASIONAL), PELETON Flash (MODERATE, NONE))

One request that has not been addressed from the Garmin Beta community is the BRAKING function...ie irrespective of mode, the light will go HIGH MAX SOLID when breaking...not sure the unit has an accelerometer built in tho'......

2 minutes ago, capediver said:

One request that has not been addressed from the Garmin Beta community is the BRAKING function...ie irrespective of mode, the light will go HIGH MAX SOLID when breaking...not sure the unit has an accelerometer built in tho'......

The new one with the camera probably has one, for the incident detection/save video feature, but the older ones probably not.

4 minutes ago, HdB said:

The new one with the camera probably has one, for the incident detection/save video feature, but the older ones probably not.

I have the new one...RCT 715, it does not have this "braking" feature...pity, it was a bit of a missed opportunity

4 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

I just read the Magene spec and one feature  i cant see if it gives an audible warning with the car approaching - which is a feature of the Garmin. As the post above says you start to listen for that warning when you are out on the road and look to see whats coming and if necessary to move closer to the shoulder or off the shoulder.

There is an audible warning and it does integrate into my head unit 100%. Like I mentioned go for the cheaper of the two. There is no discernible difference from a feature point of view. I bought the Magene because it was nearly R1500 cheaper at the time. 

5 hours ago, capediver said:

Garmin rear light will flash according to the profile you set it at, but as soon as a car is detected, it will pulse brightly and rapidly for a few cycles then revert back to the set profile. (steady ON (HIGH Intensity, NONE Flash), NIGHT flash (HIGH, SLOW), DAY flash (MAX, OCCASIONAL), PELETON Flash (MODERATE, NONE))

I would think that could be handled by the head unit, the edge and some watches already have it for incident detection, flow and grit measures etc. 

Thanks for all the feedback everybody! It is very insightful.

Another question - is there a way to attach a tether to the Varia?

35 minutes ago, DieMelkman said:

Thanks for all the feedback everybody! It is very insightful.

Another question - is there a way to attach a tether to the Varia?

Yes. you can thread some nylon thread thru the "ears" of the GoPro style mount.... I use a wrist tether looped over the mount.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-22 at 09.59.30.jpeg

Edited by capediver

15 minutes ago, capediver said:

Yes. you can thread some nylon thread thru the "ears" of the GoPro style mount.... I use a wrist tether looped over the mount.

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-22 at 09.59.30.jpeg

Thanks @capediver, but was referring to the Varia radar, not front light.

If its the old one, I used a GoPro surfboard mount with tether...trimmed it to fit and stuck it to back of unit, with the loop of the tether connected to a tiny carabiner hanging from seat rails ...the new one uses the same fitting as the Garmin VIRB ULTRA 30 camera, it is very secure!!!...you can cable tie the seatpost mount to the seatpost if you want, cable ties included in package

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 10.20.27.png

Screenshot 2022-11-22 at 10.23.10.png

Edited by capediver

Very slightly off-topic, but can you mount the Varia to an aero seat post? I appreciate that there are various profiles, but just wondering. Thanks.