[Event] FNB Wines2Whales

lukelockie

Event Name: FNB Wines2Whales
When: 20/10/2023 - 29/10/2023
Where: Curro Hermanus high school, , Sandbaai, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

The Race with GEES!

The FNB Wines2Whales was born out of the desire to create a world-class 3-day stage race in the Western Cape of South Africa. Since inception in 2009, the three events, aptly named after the wines of the area, have become a must-do event on the mountain bike calendar with riders from the farthest reaches of the country and the world. 

The spirit of the FNB Wines2Whales is “gees” – truly South African phrase that is only understood once experienced.

The race's biggest drawcard is undoubtedly the route, which has been perfected over the past 13 years. In 2022, the race followed the traditional route and took teams from the wines of Lourensford to the whales of Hermanus. It was only traditional in direction as Cape Trails, Agrimark, and many landowners poured countless hours into uplifting the route and building new features, thus ensuring it was #SeriousGEES throughout. 

In 2023, we're switching things up as we host the FNB W2W Switchback that will take teams from Curro, Hermanus to Oak Valley Estate to Lourensford Wine Estate. And, you guessed it, the route will be new, it will be improved, and it will deliver Serious GEES at every possible opportunity!

Entries to the 2023 FNB Wines2Whales open on 14 February 2023! Be the first in line or you will miss out!

Go to Event Page.

• 8 months later...

Depending on your technical knowledge, and the weather, not really, last year, we had 2 dry days and half a wet day on the last day and bikes were more than fine, all we did was take to the wash stations and lube chains and forks, and all good, fortunately no mechanicals though, we were fine to fix pretty much everything, but if you arent, there were a few mechanics from shops next to the race village, no idea on pricing for them though.

• 1 month later...

anyone know if the indicated distances will be accurate this year?

2 years ago stage one was i think 7km (maybe more) than indicated.

With all the recent rain damage the distances will almost certainly be different than originally planned/published. I suspect it will mostly be shorter though as certain sections will be unrideable.

Hey all. Shot in the dark here.

I managed to get a late spot entry into Pinotage today, due to my dad's partner pulling out last minute due to injury.

Last year I rented a range extender for my Levo SL for W2W, but because the event is next week, Specialized Experience Center Stellenbosch has all their equipment already booked out.

Is there anybody out there that would be open to renting out their Levo range extender battery to me for the event? Obviously I'm willing to pay for the rental, and open to negotiating a fair price. Thanks 🙏

UPDATE: I've since been sorted out thanks to Stirling at Revolution Cycles! 🙌

Edited by Mitch21
spelling

Is the Hemel and Aarde road still closed ?

This may impact emergency services access .... and thus event approval ....

2 hours ago, BMCfan said:

start and finish in lourensford 🤓

Source?

Sounds like a blessing more than anything... Wines2Wines 

Stage1 of the normal route.

Stage2 of the normal route.

Stage3 of the switch back route?