2 minutes ago, Thornman said:

If you want to ride it enter the SwartbergXtreme race later this year. It will be the 3rd year they running this race.

You start 10km outside of Oudtshoorn, go over Swartberg pass down to the hell, turn around and go left at the T-junction to Prince Albert. Make another u-turn just before the tar road and head back to Oudtshoorn over Swartberg pass from Prince Albert's side.

Fun event and the organizer, Pienaar, really put in a lot of effort.

That is some serious climbing !!

8 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Nice videos and topic.

As a resident of Prince Albert and operating a small bike shop I have had many difficult moments , something like this . Guy(s) walk into the shop.

Hi what is the road like to Die Hel ?
Me : Bad , why ?
We are going to cycle there and back.

Me : In one day ?
Yes , only 120 km there and back and it’s downhill into Die Hel. I’ve done 120 plenty times . 
So now I try and look him up and down and make a judgement call , will he be able to do it ?
And we all know how dangerous it is to judge someone on appearance.

Me: You have backup ?
If the answer is yes I say go for it who am I to talk someone out of his dreams .

If no backup I give my nr and say phone me when back in town if I don’t hear from you by 8 pm tonight I will come looking for you .  That has caused some worried looks .

That valley is so remote ideal is to cycle in and spend at least one day at Boplaas before riding back.

I kid you not I'll be this guy 🤣🤦‍♂️

8 minutes ago, nathrix said:

That’s insane! Thanks but No thanks 🤮 Perhaps on an e-bike one day 😎

My MTB highlight was cycling up Swartbergpas from Prince Albert, on my normal bike ... cant recall how many times I stopped, but never walked.  Brutal, but my highlight.

I have since done the pass many times on an ebike, including 112km with 2229m elevation. 

The scenery is brilliant.  The ride memorable.

And still not that feeling of accomplishment ....

In the late 1990's one could take your vehicle down to The Hell during the race. I was support driver once and subsequently did the race a couple of times. It was the time when front suspension was still a novelty and many riders did the trip on rigid bikes. My one buddy just came back from the USA with a Cannondale lefty and the bike caused a sensation.

One year I did not enter and also did no training, but the Friday morning my phone rang and I was invited to take the spot of a cyclist who withdrew. It was two very tough days. 

10 hours ago, Thornman said:

If you want to ride it enter the SwartbergXtreme race later this year. It will be the 3rd year they running this race.

You start 10km outside of Oudtshoorn, go over Swartberg pass down to the hell, turn around and go left at the T-junction to Prince Albert. Make another u-turn just before the tar road and head back to Oudtshoorn over Swartberg pass from Prince Albert's side.

Lets just say that your definition of fun might differ from other people...

On 1/11/2023 at 1:55 PM, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Nice videos and topic.

As a resident of Prince Albert and operating a small bike shop I have had many difficult moments , something like this . Guy(s) walk into the shop.

Hi what is the road like to Die Hel ?
Me : Bad , why ?
We are going to cycle there and back.

Me : In one day ?
Yes , only 120 km there and back and it’s downhill into Die Hel. I’ve done 120 plenty times . 
So now I try and look him up and down and make a judgement call , will he be able to do it ?
And we all know how dangerous it is to judge someone on appearance.

Me: You have backup ?
If the answer is yes I say go for it who am I to talk someone out of his dreams .

If no backup I give my nr and say phone me when back in town if I don’t hear from you by 8 pm tonight I will come looking for you .  That has caused some worried looks .

That valley is so remote ideal is to cycle in and spend at least one day at Boplaas before riding back.

Classic. I guess the real zinger is that if you realise you are in over your head you can just swing around and ride back into town. it's the stubborn guys who are half capable who summit the pass and then go to die hel with no matches left that are the problem!

15 hours ago, Thornman said:

https://www.dust4glory.co.za/swartberg-xtreme-mtb-challenge/

hjell. 171km and 4870m of vert.

As mtbers you've all heard of Hell and Back, the oldest stage race in the country (if 2 days counts).

but how many can remember the midnight Hell run? Memory is hazy but I think it finally got canned once ASA started claiming jursi bloody diction of a no fuss trail event in the bundus. 

image.png.9981d9c6375af877485795f9ef6d476c.png