Gauteng champs: Lady riding over rider’s bike

Monique13

This photo would best show the setup at the TT. Start on the far left going out and finish on the far left coming in. So the only way to get normal traffic through is in the middle (2 way traffic and the usual Cradle traffic).

BCC8C81E-7D0B-409F-BEBF-5610100127C0.jpeg.66acad897bfa4936ba2c5d483d301f99.jpeg

Given that the lack of awareness of the event happening, why would Joe Public stay away? 

The road event, the next day, was a single lane for all traffic. I thought it was well managed, and could clearly see what the marshals were indicating.

This setup is surely not ideal but we had to deal with it. We did good. But every now and then it got stupidly busy and then it takes only one or two impatient drivers or cyclists to create a bottleneck.

What we need is a wider piece of road surface to accommodate all the traffic or better even = road closure. Which is near impossible. Believe me tried.

Last year @ the Circus we managed to close that section of road but at great expense.

46 minutes ago, Zeffer said:

This setup is surely not ideal but we had to deal with it. We did good. But every now and then it got stupidly busy and then it takes only one or two impatient drivers or cyclists to create a bottleneck.

What we need is a wider piece of road surface to accommodate all the traffic or better even = road closure. Which is near impossible. Believe me tried.

Last year @ the Circus we managed to close that section of road but at great expense.

Honest question here, because I live in the platteland🤡: what is more or less the expence of closing a road, and why is it expensive? 

10 minutes ago, Scary Rider said:

Honest question here, because I live in the platteland🤡: what is more or less the expence of closing a road, and why is it expensive? 

We had a fully closed road outside the Circus for our race last year. Different event to Gauteng Champs, but same stretch of road. The road closure cost was included in the cost of Traffic Officials used on race day. 

Midvaal is about 15-25% of the cost compared to Ekurhuleni.  

2 minutes ago, Scary Rider said:

I will try answer.

We cannot close the road. Only metro police can. So you need their buyin and they need to approve and they need to DO it as well, so you will pay for all their officials which needs to be deployed. The longer the road and the more intersections the more officials @ Sunday fee. 

For the Gauteng champs we paid roughly R20k for 3 officials for 2 days. R3k each per day.

For a 90km urban route, probably 30 intersections, 2 officials per intersection.....

Then there is also the public participation requirements - you need to inform the public/residents/landowners - via some media or you might need to advertise or place a notice in the newspaper.

Then you need marshalls and fencing to close the intersections.

But the main problem is not the cost... its to get the approval

13 hours ago, MORNE1102 said:

From the sound of it it’s just another tale of a entitled Fourways boytjie\cyclist but boytjie first and most in his proverbial cradle promise land. If that was my car this chop kicked, he’d be having “billy the bums” flashbacks without the end of night boerie. 

In this hypothetical situation where you were the driver and you knocked this cyclist over and drove over his bike - you would still get out your car and 'sort him out' ?
I don't like that the cyclist kicked the drivers door, but there is a certain amount of understandable anger in that situation. Badly handled. But understandable...

I was there, so cannot comment on who was being more entitled - the driver or the cyclist for squeezing through a tiny gap. Surely the car should have been sensible and given way ? Perhaps the cyclist should have shown a bit of restraint and done the same?

3 hours ago, splat said:

In this hypothetical situation where you were the driver and you knocked this cyclist over and drove over his bike - you would still get out your car and 'sort him out' ?
I don't like that the cyclist kicked the drivers door, but there is a certain amount of understandable anger in that situation. Badly handled. But understandable...

I was there, so cannot comment on who was being more entitled - the driver or the cyclist for squeezing through a tiny gap. Surely the car should have been sensible and given way ? Perhaps the cyclist should have shown a bit of restraint and done the same?

Here you come and messing this thread up with logic. 

Lets keep it going and see if it really kicks off tomorrow (Moer Mekaar Vrydag)

1 hour ago, swingTOpeddle said:

Here you come and messing this thread up with logic. 

)