Road bike rim brake wheel upgrade

Dan4

Hi all

I would like to get some suggestions, I would like to upgrade my roadbike wheels, I were riding on a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbon SLR's 50mm with aluminum braking surface. Unfortunately they cracked inside the wheel on the aluminum surface between the spoke holes, this was only visible when the rim tape was taken off. They are no longer under warranty. It seems like getting wheels that are deep section  with aluminum braking surface is very difficult. Any suggestions?  

Zipp 404 Firecrest.  
If you can find the 303, also good.

The riffles in the break surface makes it good under breaking for a carbon surface.  Wheels are fairly lite for the 58mm deep section and the roll quite smooth.

That's what I would choose

15 minutes ago, Dan4 said:

It seems like getting wheels that are deep section  with aluminum braking surface is very difficult.

Once popular with options from Mavic, Zipp, Bontrager, American Classic, HED etc, the design has become somewhat dated with most moving in favour of a full carbon wheel.

Edited by Thomo

14 hours ago, Furbz said:

also look at Hunt. excellent wheels direct from Hunt. and their warranty is great and works fast if needed.

I forgot about Hunt.  
Read good things about them.

21 minutes ago, Andreas_187 said:

There are plenty of generic ‘Chinese’ wheels for sale. I would take them any day over the big name brands. 

I've raced and trained on both.....
And I would NOT take the genric wheels.  

Wrote two sets off........
Not worth it if you are going to ride them lots.

23 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

I've raced and trained on both.....
And I would NOT take the genric wheels.  

Wrote two sets off........
Not worth it if you are going to ride them lots.

What does that mean, how did you write them off?