MORNE

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, BikeGenie said:

WHAUT????!!!! Again? without me?

Stik uit, I've been informed some of the tea ladies gonna be there... Weather looking prime , cold mild with a chance of rock snot

50 minutes ago, Meezo said:

Stik uit, I've been informed some of the tea ladies gonna be there... Weather looking prime , cold mild with a chance of rock snot

You have me at rock snot. But alas, travel plans to the Witfontein treasures are out of the question for now. 

Last week of May has over the last 5 years consistently resembled the same weather patterns we had over the previous weekend. The reason I know this is because my daughter has her birthday then. And since her debut in 2018, every year is a roll of the dice to arrange her party. We've learnt to go the indoor route. I suspect this year will be no different.

Let's see what this time brings. 

7 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Last week of May has over the last 5 years consistently resembled the same weather patterns we had over the previous weekend. The reason I know this is because my daughter has her birthday then. And since her debut in 2018, every year is a roll of the dice to arrange her party. We've learnt to go the indoor route. I suspect this year will be no different.

Let's see what this time brings. 

it doesn't have to be dry, just not a monsoon.

finally maybe a reason to invest in a set of mud specific black things 😄

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

it doesn't have to be dry, just not a monsoon.

finally maybe a reason to invest in a set of mud specific black things 😄

So last week I go to the LBS to get some premium rubber. I am so excited to finally be getting myself a pair of Assegai and Minion DHR II and grab, pay, and rush home to fit them.

Sitting at my desk later in the day admiring the rubber that will be shod on the bike the morning before race day, I realise that in my haste I grabbed a mullet pair, with the Minion being 27.5 and the Assegai being 29. My bike isn't a mullet.

No worries, me thinks. I call the LBS only to hear "No stock of 29 Minion DHR . . ."

I ended up chucking a near-bald Spez Butcher that was on the front to the back and fitted the Assegai. And then the heavens opened. So the rubber is as yet unused.

59 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

So last week I go to the LBS to get some premium rubber. I am so excited to finally be getting myself a pair of Assegai and Minion DHR II and grab, pay, and rush home to fit them.

Sitting at my desk later in the day admiring the rubber that will be shod on the bike the morning before race day, I realise that in my haste I grabbed a mullet pair, with the Minion being 27.5 and the Assegai being 29. My bike isn't a mullet.

No worries, me thinks. I call the LBS only to hear "No stock of 29 Minion DHR . . ."

I ended up chucking a near-bald Spez Butcher that was on the front to the back and fitted the Assegai. And then the heavens opened. So the rubber is as yet unused.

I recently fitted an Assegai MaxGrip. It is insanely grippy, almost mind-boggling. It really slows the bike down and your friends roll away from you on open trails. I actually think it is overkill most of the time, but I am really enjoying it.

On 4/20/2023 at 6:59 PM, PhilipV said:

Same amount of laps, same amount of wear, same amount of risk.

I have a core memory of raking a friend for his first run down Status Quo while it was pissing with rain. 

Sunday has all the potential for a lekker day out with the right mindset. 

Getting hypothermic waiting in a long Q is not part of a fun ride with your mates but it is at a race like this.

1 hour ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

I recently fitted an Assegai MaxGrip. It is insanely grippy, almost mind-boggling. It really slows the bike down and your friends roll away from you on open trails. I actually think it is overkill most of the time, but I am really enjoying it.

I am not too fussed with peeps rolling away from me on the flats, as much as I am that my front wheel tracks true when I am riding on some jank that requires grip, focus and a certain level of insanity to be ridden.

2 hours ago, RiverInTheRoad said:

It is a boat anker for sure. But I also enjoy the illusion of security it provides haha. Predictable through a range of movement for an avarage plonker like me. Doesn't have that 2.5 DHF death gap once you hit a certain lean angle. I know the sendy guys can basically ride on the side knobs with their bikes virtually horizontal to the floor….but i cant. When im horizontal to the floor on a bike….it usually coincides with pain, blood and wincing.

Edited by MORNE

25 minutes ago, MORNE said:

When im horizontal to the floor on a bike….it usually coincides with pain, blood and wincing.

This !

28 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I know the sendy guys can basically ride on the side knobs with their bikes virtually horizontal to the floor

I watched Matt Lombardi descend Monkey 5 a few weeks ago and realised how much of a tool I actually am on a bike. The "me" in my head is clearly not what I am in reality.

Edited the topic with new info for you lot. Also, there is a webpage now, or has been for a while….who knows, atleast we found it🤷🏻‍♂️

(Thank you to the organisers for doing a good job with events thus far, but you can 100% work on getting the word out a bit more, that will aid the goal of growing the class too imo) For now, we’ll help.😅

https://wcenduro.co.za/#enduroevents

Edited by MORNE

• 3 weeks later...