Convert 3X to 1X gearing on MTB?

DodgeB

FWIW Shimano make an 11-51 spd cassette (M5100 i think) that will fit on a standard HG freebody. Shimano 10 and 11spd cassettes are all roughly 1000 ront (quick google search) and it doesnt require a new freebody. A derailleur extender may be required and is readily available from Rapide for example. Bike Addict sells unboxed OEM derailleurs and shifters. Doing an upgrade from 3x9 to 1x10 or 1x11 will probably cost around R2000 give or take. Going the route of 12spd with NX becomes more expensive because of the cassette, again BA has OEM unboxed shifters and derailleurs available plus theres always Bikehub Classifieds. 

Personally I have gone to SLX 12spd since i wrote that thread about my conversion. I have had zero issues and this is after about 8000km. Replaced a chain after 4000km and the cassette is not showing any signs of excessive wear. The chain I replaced after 4000km was preventative prior to Munga. The shimano ecosystem works perfectly if you use shimano chains and not an aftermarket chain like KCNC or KMC, plus the shimano chains are affordable (slx chain cost me 500 bucks). 

This is a rabbit hole and yes there are pro’s and cons to going to 12spd. But as far as doing an economical budget friendly upgrade is concerned, 1x10 is the answer as far as im concerned. 

Good luck OP, tell your story when you pull the trigger!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Did you ever try Shimano 12sp.  On my rigid fork hardtail I have manual Shimano 12sp.  No issues what so ever.  Shifting is just as good as the electronic shifting on my full sus bike.

No, never had the opportunity to test the Shimano 12 speed setup.

In terms of upgrading a 3x bike ... the cost a wheel rebuild, new hub, and then the price of the 1x12 components hardly makes sense though ....

If I was in the market for a new bike I certainly would want a decent test ride on a 1x12 Shimano setup.  The frustrating bit is that even the SRAM only starting its nonsense at about 1 000km .... before that it was nice.

It may be obvious to most, but still worth noting that the difference between the smallest 11 tooth on the 1x11 and the 10 tooth on the 1x12 is about 10% on top end !!  When your rides include tar or smooth gravel sections you quickly appreciate this benefit.  For my type of riding the gaps between the gears never bugged me.

17 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

What I'm more curious about is whether some sort of spacer is needed upfront? Seeing as the crank normally has three rings to share the load, would a 1x not be somewhat off-centre?

I have been lucky thus far.  Fitting the new ring to the "mid" position worked perfectly.

With Maritz's Mongoose we played with the crank spacers, but the original setup was aligned perfectly.

2 hours ago, Quagga said:

Could you please expand on how you got to that?

I would love to hear why you say or what experience you had that made you decicde this

11spd worked flawlessly
12spd worked less than flawlessly. (Including a brand new XTR derailleur that grenaded itself) 

Like I said. Personal experience. No need to elaborate further. 

8 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

11spd worked flawlessly
12spd worked less than flawlessly. (Including a brand new XTR derailleur that grenaded itself) 

Like I said. Personal experience. No need to elaborate further. 

Ahh shimano stuff

I have only ever used SRAM on 11 and 12 speed.

When correctly setup I have not had any issues on either 11 or 12 speed.

I have run 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12(both cable and AXS)

1x10 was a hack at best, I was always geared too short or too long.

1x11 - I Had Shimano XT with a sunrace 11-46 cassette which served me well for many years. I did then go to an 11- 51 which was even better. This Shimano derailleur is now working with a cheap 11 speed road cassette on the trainer. Still shifting flawless.

Then I was on Sram GX 1x12 and it was pretty flawless for the 2000km I did on the bike before selling it.

New bike has GX AXS 1 x 12. It is an amazing ride, shifts so well and crisp and is so consistent and the 10-52 gives lovely range.

Bang for buck - Shimano 11 speed with an 11-51 is a good option IMO. Sunrace cassettes made it a lot more affordable as well and fitted my hub that had 2x10 set up.

Budget out the window GX Eagle AXS just gives you a little extra range and a great shifting experience.

I was also initially on 2x10 setup. Few years ago when we could still order from Chain Reaction Cycles there was a good deal on a 11spd XT Shifter and the price on the XT derailleur was also not to bad. Ordered the  derailleur, shifter and a Sunrace 11 - 46 cassette. Chain and NW chainring was sourced locally. When all parts arrived it was just a matter of remove the 10spd parts, fit the 11spd parts with new cable and housing and never had any issues with shifting.

Take the plunge you will not regret it.

Edited by JJDT

6 minutes ago, JJDT said:

I was also initially on 2x10 setup. Few years ago when we could still order from Chain Reaction Cycles there was a good deal on a 11spd XT Shifter and the price on the XT derailleur was also not to bad. Ordered the  derailleur, shifter and a Sunrace 11 - 46 cassette. Chain and NW chainring was sourced locally. When all parts arrived it was just a matter of remove the 10spd parts, fit the 11spd parts with new cable and housing and never had any issues with shifting.

Take the plunge you will regret it.

Take the plunge you will regret it ?   🤪🙈🤣

2 minutes ago, TheoG said:

Take the plunge you will regret it ?   🤪🙈🤣

Thanks Theo for pointing it out...🤫

For silly money you can get Deor 10/11 speed derailleur and 11-46 cassette (10s) All but does away with range issues and replacement costs are so cheap. Just fitted this to my wife's Zula. We did buy it at CRC where the two items cost R1400.  Just pair it with a decent shifter and you're gold. I have a Saint 10s shifter on my HT bike. Hands down the best shifter I've ever used and old stock and or decent second hand XT and up should be available somewhere. 12s is a rip off esp decent SRAM cassettes.