Bainskloof crash

Abel Du Plessis

Last week my son & his friend saw someone receiving medical attention on Bainskloof - looked like someone went into the ditch on the left of the road on the descent towards Wellington.
Does anyone have more detail on what happened, and if the cyclist is doing ok?
It is easy to get carried away on that descent!  I have heard motorbikers complain that the surface is too smooth - I guess they mean they would like to go faster, but they can't - which is not a bad thing.  I have been tempted myself to go down faster than what is safe for my bike handling skills.

I think it's the paint on the new surface. The lines are super slippery particularly when wet, even more so than usually is the case. Dangerous.

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I think it's the paint on the new surface. The lines are super slippery particularly when wet, even more so than usually is the case. Dangerous.

I agree, but that's a known issue. I try to avoid going on the lines even when it's dry.

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

Was it wet though on this particular day?

Ive been down Bains twice in the last 2 months and the road surface is absolutely immaculate. One of the best descending experiences for me especially on the Worcester side as there is hardly any traffic. I absolutely flew down there with the biggest grin on my face all the way. 

The accident victim is a friend of a friend.

I think he spent a couple of days in ICU but is now on the long road to recovery.

My understanding is that he suffered a punctured lung, broke multiple ribs (think 8), collarbone and scapula.

Edited by NC_lurker
Clarity

I stay in Wellington so Bainskloof is a regular ride. I also went into the ditch on Womens day last year (Mrs was not impressed).

What happened was, I was on my roadbike decending on W/ton side, a bakkie aproached from behind and would not overtake even when I slowed down and indicated for him to pass.

I continued my descent. On a straight section the bakkie was very close to me (maybe 5m)  so I moved to the last 20cm of the road next to the gutter making space for him to pass as a car aproached from the front. 

The space was to tight for 2 vehicles and a bike and I got showed into the ditch. I still managed to ride in the ditch, but there was a drain ahead so I tried to ride outof the ditch again when my rear wheel slipped on the +-45' angle. All of this happening at descending speed, may 35km/h by then. 

I fell hard in the road. Fortunately, the bakkie braked and did not pass once he saw I went into the ditch otherwise he would have driven over me. 

I asked the bakkie driver WTF, why did he not pass me way back when I indicated for him to do so. His comment "It looked lekka to see you descending so I just wanted to watch". 

Both bike and I had suffered some damage. The moral of the story is, the road surface on Bains is lovely and fast, its the traffic on the descent thats the danger.

2 hours ago, B20 said:

I stay in Wellington so Bainskloof is a regular ride. I also went into the ditch on Womens day last year (Mrs was not impressed).

What happened was, I was on my roadbike decending on W/ton side, a bakkie aproached from behind and would not overtake even when I slowed down and indicated for him to pass.

I continued my descent. On a straight section the bakkie was very close to me (maybe 5m)  so I moved to the last 20cm of the road next to the gutter making space for him to pass as a car aproached from the front. 

The space was to tight for 2 vehicles and a bike and I got showed into the ditch. I still managed to ride in the ditch, but there was a drain ahead so I tried to ride outof the ditch again when my rear wheel slipped on the +-45' angle. All of this happening at descending speed, may 35km/h by then. 

I fell hard in the road. Fortunately, the bakkie braked and did not pass once he saw I went into the ditch otherwise he would have driven over me. 

I asked the bakkie driver WTF, why did he not pass me way back when I indicated for him to do so. His comment "It looked lekka to see you descending so I just wanted to watch". 

Both bike and I had suffered some damage. The moral of the story is, the road surface on Bains is lovely and fast, its the traffic on the descent thats the danger.

Thanks for sharing, and sorry to hear about the damage.  Mostly the drivers I have encountered on Bainskloof are quite considerate, but it only takes one mistake like this bakkie driver - serious consequences for the cyclist!

9 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

The accident victim is a friend of a friend.

I think he spent a couple of days in ICU but is now on the long road to recovery.

My understanding is that he suffered a punctured lung, broke multiple ribs (think 8), collarbone and scapula.

Thanks for the info. I am sorry to hear about the serious injuries - it's a warning to all of us!
Do you have (or can you share) any detail of what caused the accident?  

2 hours ago, B20 said:

Sorry about your crash.

I think you learned the wrong lesson though with your "moral of the story".
Offer the safe overtake. If not taken then take the lane for the rest of the descend. Assertive riding with your intentions clear to motorists is the safest way to go.

34 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Offer the safe overtake. If not taken then take the lane for the rest of the descend. Assertive riding with your intentions clear to motorists is the safest way to go.

yes yes yes 100%

1 hour ago, bleedToWin said:

Sorry about your crash.

I think you learned the wrong lesson though with your "moral of the story".

During the holidays we drove the pass a number of times.

I always hang back and give the cyclists ample space.  I will wait until it is clear to pass over to the other side a clear and safe overtake.

On one of our return trips, on the climb from Ceres side, we caught up to a group of three MTB riders.  They were super alert of cars, hugged the edge (cliff side) to let the car ahead pass.  I hung way back, about 3 car lengths ....  The riders were super nervous, constantly checking to the back.  Even falling further back, one could see they were uneasy ....  This was in one of the twisty sections, so no real way to quickly and safely pass them over the white line, so I just fell further back until we got to one of the straigther sections.

Most often though, once the rider sees you keep your distance, they do move back and own the lane.  I FULLY AGREE that this is the safe option for this pass.

3 hours ago, Abel Du Plessis said:

Thanks for the info. I am sorry to hear about the serious injuries - it's a warning to all of us!
Do you have (or can you share) any detail of what caused the accident?  

No vehicles involved or equipment failure as I understand it, just a riding incident, but I don't know the full details.