How to: first stage race.

Theunissa

19 hours ago, Theunissa said:

Hi. I would to get some advice from those who have done stage races before. On what to do how to ride etc. Nutrition. Clothing. Etc. I'm doing the small amohela as my first. Maybe the berg and bush after if I money tree allows it. I have a coach Jaco ferreira, training me for the ride.( feels more like he wants to work me to death some days.) but the rest I'm out lost. I've been eating future life smart food before rides and races then.1. 5 to 2  hours into it a banana. I have alot of water. 2l in back pack and my bottle. And seems I need more. I take half my toolbox with. I ride with safety boots that weigh a ton etc. 

Lots of nutrition options but what works for one doesn't work for another. For me, depending upon ride and distance: bananas, potatoes, sandwiches, pancakes or USN Muscle Fuel in the water bottle. I like the USN a lot but don't use it really unless I'm riding hard and long.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Theunissa said:

Did you find an answer yet on shorts. And I agree on the burn your matches, it's difficult to not want to race. 

I do believe @NotSoBigBen hit the nail on the head in the other thread ..... sadly so.   I simply am not saddle fit, not enough so ....

Good pants/bibs helps up to a point.  But longer races require longer exercise rides.

My weekend saddle time certainly is not enough.  I am trying to get more saddle time by spending time on the indoor trainer .... (hold on while I start up the trainer ,,,, :ph34r: )

As for which brand and model ....

First Accent BLUE - Pro Elite chamois, is a decent product

Ciovita Corsa costs significantly more, and in my experience is no better.

Assos is very nice, but at a premium price point

I have only done 1 off 133km ride with the Rapid Sports cycling pants.  Seems on par with the First Accent.  Would need more time and more rides really punt it, but certainly positive about it at this stage. .... but as I am working on getting my behind saddle fit the results may be skewed .... :P

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I do believe @NotSoBigBen hit the nail on the head in the other thread ..... sadly so.   I simply am not saddle fit, not enough so ....

Good pants/bibs helps up to a point.  But longer races require longer exercise rides.

My weekend saddle time certainly is not enough.  I am trying to get more saddle time by spending time on the indoor trainer .... (hold on while I start up the trainer ,,,, :ph34r: )

As for which brand and model ....

First Accent BLUE - Pro Elite chamois, is a decent product

Ciovita Corsa costs significantly more, and in my experience is no better.

Assos is very nice, but at a premium price point

I have only done 1 off 133km ride with the Rapid Sports cycling pants.  Seems on par with the First Accent.  Would need more time and more rides really punt it, but certainly positive about it at this stage. .... but as I am working on getting my behind saddle fit the results may be skewed .... :P

My dad told me yesterday to look at the first ascent blue. I shall think about it. For now due to budget constraints I stick with my fixed old red amd my one new red one from first ascent. Use what you got. 

What parts do you take with normally. I do understand anything can happen. But can you take a thick needle and strong thread to fix a ture till you get to the end. Instead of a Tyre. 

33 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

What parts do you take with normally. I do understand anything can happen. But can you take a thick needle and strong thread to fix a ture till you get to the end. Instead of a Tyre. 

ON THE BIKE:

Samurai sword for plugging the tyre.

Gas bombs.  Though 98% of the time I use the small pump.

Woolftooth quick link breaker (Evobikes)

Multitool with a chain breaker

spare quick links

Spare valve

Spare tube

NEED TO ADD -

- Cable ties

- bit of gorilla tape

IN THE CAR ....

The garage and the kitchen zink .... :ph34r: 

Got tired of messing up my tool trays, so made a travel toolbox which stays in the car.  Only need to add 3 or 4 tools ....

Also a set of worn cassette, chain, etc.  New brake disc, pads, shifter cable, etc ....  Spare tyres.

As I told my wife, if I never have to open this toolbox I would be happy.  BUT, I will rather carry the spares in the car and not need it, than to retire early due some mechanical.

Reality is that you can buy most common parts at the workshop/mechanics at these events.  It is the special stuff like the derailleur hanger that you really should have a spare off.

Edited by ChrisF

I read about "people eating stuff they don't need", it's very hard to eat stuff you don't need on a stage race, you burn more than you can process, so as long as you don't eat more than what you can process (about 1g per kilo per hour if you haven't trained on more yet) you're good. I would not advise against gels or liquid carbs, although I would definitely recommend mixing it up between whatever you can get : potatoes, bananas, rice cake, banana bread... all of this is not so convenient to carry and consume on the bike, I keep that kind of stuff for races where there are mandotatory stops (like DC), or marathon MTB races where you can stop 10 secs to stuff your face at the waterpoint. The rest for me will all be carbs water, gels and fast bars. And as soon as the race is over stuff my face with real food. 

After 4 days I must say I can't wait to stop consuming sports nutrition, but this works for me ;)

Edited by Jbr

42 minutes ago, Jbr said:

I read about "people eating stuff they don't need", it's very hard to eat stuff you don't need on a stage race, you burn more than you can process, so as long as you don't eat more than what you can process (about 1g per kilo per hour if you haven't trained on more yet) you're good. I would not advise against gels or liquid carbs, although I would definitely recommend mixing it up between whatever you can get : potatoes, bananas, rice cake, banana bread... all of this is not so convenient to carry and consume on the bike, I keep that kind of stuff for races where there are mandotatory stops (like DC), or marathon MTB races where you can stop 10 secs to stuff your face at the waterpoint. The rest for me will all be carbs water, gels and fast bars. And as soon as the race is over stuff my face with real food. 

After 4 days I must say I can't wait to stop consuming sports nutrition, but this works for me ;)

Most of the actual science is supported by this statement. It’s all about gut training. And it’s not unreasonable or too to get to 100g-120g of carbs an hour. 

Some interesting listening in general but this was a goody: https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/science-of-getting-faster-podcast-presented-by/id1552970725?i=1000577136102 

6 minutes ago, swingTOpeddle said:

Most of the actual science is supported by this statement. It’s all about gut training. And it’s not unreasonable or too to get to 100g-120g of carbs an hour. 

Some interesting listening in general but this was a goody: https://podcasts.apple.com/za/podcast/science-of-getting-faster-podcast-presented-by/id1552970725?i=1000577136102 

A 50kg lady will have a rough time getting 120g of carbs per hour while racing in the red tho 😅 I can barely tolerate 100g myself. I actually have to think it through and keep track during races to make sure I eat enough!

Edited by Jbr

Eat a good breakfast.

Stay well hydrated and  lay off any sugary  drinks.

Find food straight after the stages, you would want to eat within the first 30 minutes.

Don’t go bonkers on carbs.

Hydrate and stay off your legs.

After the  stage get your pants off as soon as you can and get to a shower.

You don’t want any bacteria to enter the skin.

Keep hydrating, and have a small snack before bedtime.

Get up in the morning, stretch and get food. 
Ride within your comfort zone and don’t exert yourself wanting to impress anyone.

Have loads of fun.

15 minutes ago, Jbr said:

A 50kg lady will have a rough time getting 120g of carbs per hour while racing in the red tho 😅 I can barely tolerate 100g myself. I actually have to think it through and keep track during races to make sure I eat enough!

For a 55kg female at 100 watts she will burn roughly 300 calories. This is already 75g carbs per hour. Imagine the load goes up. Now imagine a male doing easily double that per hour. 100g carbs is only 400 calories. By most accounts in this thread the expenditure is much higher. 

The point being. Fueling properly is in my very very short time enjoying this lovely sport probably one of the lowest hanging fruits to be picked. Why not exploit it? 

Get some maltodextrin and fructose mix at no more than 1:1 starting at 60g per hour and enjoy. 

47 minutes ago, swingTOpeddle said:

For a 55kg female at 100 watts she will burn roughly 300 calories. This is already 75g carbs per hour. Imagine the load goes up. Now imagine a male doing easily double that per hour. 100g carbs is only 400 calories. By most accounts in this thread the expenditure is much higher. 

That’s why I said you’ll always burn more than you can restore, that’s why you must start eating as soon as you’re off the bike, so that you can restore most of the deficit. !

2 hours ago, swingTOpeddle said:

The point being. Fueling properly is in my very very short time enjoying this lovely sport probably one of the lowest hanging fruits to be picked. Why not exploit it? 

Get some maltodextrin and fructose mix at no more than 1:1 starting at 60g per hour and enjoy. 

fuel burned/hr does not = fuel to put in/hr.

yor body simply cannot absorb that much fuel without taking energy away from your legs to digest it.

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

fuel burned/hr does not = fuel to put in/hr.

yor body simply cannot absorb that much fuel without taking energy away from your legs to digest it.

I was merely making an example. I did mention expenditure will probably much higher. It’s similar to it not being possible to replace all fluids loss. But it’s important for optimal performance to fuel for it. 

Years ago we used to have “moer mekaar” Hub days.

So I’m just gonna throw a blanket system out there “most of us have enough fuel reserves from our fattening bodies than what we can really burn up.

So all we need to do is cow to sustain our sugar levels to so that we don’t bonk (bonking can be very good, but not whilst riding)

Drink enough during the ride, watch your heart rate and don’t be a hero for that 96 th position nobody really cares about.

One will quickly learn that we have more than enough reserves to carry us.

• 1 month later...

Ok somethings I've learnt I've the past month. Jou gat is eina pyn die 2de dag. After reading the stuff about food etc at the epic it's maybe best for me to take my own farm water and food. Since I'm used to that. Then a health person also said most people train for the stage races and eat for it but forget about their general health. A stage race takes alot out of you and also really knocks your immune system. So you should take stuff to boost your immune system aswell. And rest and sleep is also important.