How to: first stage race.

Theunissa

Hi. I would to get some advice from those who have done stage races before. On what to do how to ride etc. Nutrition. Clothing. Etc. I'm doing the small amohela as my first. Maybe the berg and bush after if I money tree allows it. I have a coach Jaco ferreira, training me for the ride.( feels more like he wants to work me to death some days.) but the rest I'm out lost. I've been eating future life smart food before rides and races then.1. 5 to 2  hours into it a banana. I have alot of water. 2l in back pack and my bottle. And seems I need more. I take half my toolbox with. I ride with safety boots that weigh a ton etc. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Subscribed ....

prepping for my first three day stage race in June, Trans Augrabies.  (Did days 1 and 3 last year)

Theunissa 

Its a little tricky to offer advice to someone we know nothing about.

thing like current weight target weight, target W/Kg for the event require more insight into your journey to the start line.

The mechanical stuff is easy:

Make sure you start the stage race with parts that have some mileage on them and have lots of life left. Brand new parts requiring settling in will become a source of frustration. If fitting news bits , fit them a month before the event.

Learn some Bush repair skills. Things like plugging a tyre, making sure your multitool has the necessary bits for your bike is important and know how to use the tool.

Clothing should be stretched and comfortable not something brand new straight out of the wrapper. Comfort is everything

Get your nutrition dialled months before the event. the event is not the time to experiment

9 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Theunissa 

Its a little tricky to offer advice to someone we know nothing about.

thing like current weight target weight, target W/Kg for the event require more insight into your journey to the start line.

The mechanical stuff is easy:

Make sure you start the stage race with parts that have some mileage on them and have lots of life left. Brand new parts requiring settling in will become a source of frustration. If fitting news bits , fit them a month before the event.

Learn some Bush repair skills. Things like plugging a tyre, making sure your multitool has the necessary bits for your bike is important and know how to use the tool.

Clothing should be stretched and comfortable not something brand new straight out of the wrapper. Comfort is everything

Get your nutrition dialled months before the event. the event is not the time to experiment

So current weight is 75. Target is 70. But we'll see. I have a very limited budget. So most stuff is cheap. Regarding clothing. I'm seeing some in 2 weeks to get my eating right and also to die blood work on what works with y body. And what not. I will remember about using older parts. Not planning on getting new clothes soon. I have decent bush mech skills. Can fix most things with draad( grew up on a farm) I got Tyre repair stuff spare tube. Will look at taking spare Tyre. Have a piece of chain, muti tool. Bomb and hand pump. 

OP it might just be me misreading or something, but your various posts confuse me.

One moment you come across as a complete newbie into the sport, and then in another thread you are dishing our advise like you've been doing this sport for many years.

Sorry, this is off topic and it aimed more at me trying to understand you 

Jaco 

13 hours ago, Theunissa said:

I have a coach Jaco ferreira, training me for the ride.( feels more like he wants to work me to death some days.) but the rest I'm out lost.

Jaco is extremely competent, and has a good track record; I’m surprised you aren’t discussing all of this with him. 

If you think he’s working you to death, you should be talking to him. 

3 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Jaco 

Jaco is extremely competent, and has a good track record; I’m surprised you aren’t discussing all of this with him. 

If you think he’s working you to death, you should be talking to him. 

I don't mind. The work. It's needed. I like a challenge. I don't want to bother him with stuff he's not payd to do 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

OP it might just be me misreading or something, but your various posts confuse me.

One moment you come across as a complete newbie into the sport, and then in another thread you are dishing our advise like you've been doing this sport for many years.

Sorry, this is off topic and it aimed more at me trying to understand you 

I'm lost. Can you elaborate on your comment. New to stage races yes. Not new to cycling 

One of the best things that helped me was this:

Figure out what you need every day.
Set kit, Socks.  Go-go juice for your bottle.  Drugs.  recovery drink.  Sweets/bar/gel.

Take all that and pack each day in his own bag.  
3 Day stage race = 3 bags.

Keeps the suitcase organised and you know you have everything for the next day when you pitch your tent without having to think.

Amohela hey... 

For day 1 put on a 30T chain ring. For day 2, put on a 34T or what ever your normal day to day chain ring is. 

After day 1, stay away from the hype in town and the local craft brewery. Rather go chill out at your guest house and relax, have a braai or whatever. Keep off the beers until after day 2. 

Do some HIIT intervals before you go to Amohela, get some good short steep up and down training in - some punchy up and down stuff will work, like Cradle moon or even Thaba or if you're close to the south, then come ride the trails at the eye with us (also, these are good for higher altitude rides as Amohela is all in the thin air stuff above sea level). 

Day 1 has lots of ups and downs with little places for recovery hence the HIIT training. Day 2 is more relaxed and out on the district roads. 

If you're entering to win, approach it in a very strategic way. If not, go and have a jol

The end

Edited by 117

37 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

I'm lost. Can you elaborate on your comment. New to stage races yes. Not new to cycling 

Not the one who asked, but this makes it look like you started cycling this year:

> 1.5 to 2  hours into it a banana. I have alot of water. 2l in back pack and my bottle. And seems I need more.

A banana has enough carbs for 15 minutes of fuel.
Maybe you've been cycling for a while, but never hard enough or long enough to have bonked, and since you haven't done multi day events you haven't noticed how seriously you are under-fueling. 

41 minutes ago, Theunissa said:

Maybe its just me. But there have been a few threads where, to me, you've come across as being new to the sport.

But like I said, probably just me. I'm not on any witch hunts so wont be going to find those posts. I'll make peace with the fact that I'm getting old and cranky. :) 

2 hours ago, Theunissa said:

So current weight is 75. Target is 70. But we'll see. I have a very limited budget. So most stuff is cheap. Regarding clothing. I'm seeing some in 2 weeks to get my eating right and also to die blood work on what works with y body. And what not. I will remember about using older parts. Not planning on getting new clothes soon. I have decent bush mech skills. Can fix most things with draad( grew up on a farm) I got Tyre repair stuff spare tube. Will look at taking spare Tyre. Have a piece of chain, muti tool. Bomb and hand pump. 

Work with your coach.

This goes way beyond jus doing the "routine" he prescribes.

A good coach can follow your Strava and check on your progress.  A "routine" is only going to work when tailored to YOU.

That said, there is a minimum level that he needs to set to properly prepare you to finish, a whole new level if you want to move up the ranks.

I have been working more than a year to prepare for my first three day event.  My school fees to date:

1. My bumm needs more multi day training ....

2. My on the bike feeding and post ride recovery meal is now 99% sorted  

3. Doing a long ride is one thing .... training your body to recover for day 2 and day 3 .... long slow road for me

4. PACE YOUR RIDE !!!  Refer to point 3 ..... I still tend to burn too many matches during an event .... I struggle with the concept of dialing it back just that bit, getting a decent time, without burning all the matches.  Giving myself a proper test of this on 11 and 12 March !!

Following this thread with interest, learning from the many multi-day riders on the Hub :thumbup:

As ChrisF states above.
Recovery BETWEEN stages is critical.  If you take your event "serious", alcohol will make it more challenging....so try stay away.