The Work Commute - ebike suggestions?

vir0za

Hi all,

I live in cape town's southern suburbs.  I live approximately 7 to 9 km from work.

I sold my car when we went remote, but recently we have been asked to go back to the office 3 times a week. 

I don't want to buy a car again, so I was thinking of getting an ebike.

My two options are:

1) Upgrade my current bicycle, but that costs 28k (250w) to 31k (500w).  It just does not seem worth it

2) Buy something like this: https://pedego.co.za/products/smart-e-maestro-ii

I am also open to suggestions in that 40k budget range.  I really want a bike with both a throttle and pedal assist though. 

Any thoughts?  

Thanks.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went through the same two years ago .....

Chilled Squirrel does a decent upgrade.  They seem to have spares.  All round nice crowd.

I ended up getting a "Euro-commuter" ebike from Darrvin for a very good price.  Clock just passed 6 000km.  VERY happy with the bike !!

The founder member of Darrvin has sold this entity to "GoElectric".  Sounds like they will be re-branding the bikes going forward.  They are just off the M3.  Give them a call on 073 378 6840.

Titan Racing is now also in this market segment, and well worth a look.

From my "homework" (not personal experience), the mid drive system is superior to the hub drive systems.  Hub drive coming in significantly cheaper ....

There have been many similar threads, and a few other brands are often punted.  MANY options, many more than two years ago.

ENJOY !!

Just now, IceCreamMan said:

7 to 9 kms. Why not just cycle?

save 40 grand and have a little work out. 

I sweat profusely with any kind of exercise.  I want to get to work and not need to shower.  Hence the throttle.

Just now, IceCreamMan said:

7 to 9 kms. Why not just cycle?

save 40 grand and have a little work out. 

With shower facilities at work this IS the answer.

Without shower facilities I really enjoy using more boost to work.  In the afternoon the motor is turned down and I often ride an extra 20 or 30km.

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

Went through the same two years ago .....

Chilled Squirrel does a decent upgrade.  They seem to have spares.  All round nice crowd.

I ended up getting a "Euro-commuter" ebike from Darrvin for a very good price.  Clock just passed 6 000km.  VERY happy with the bike !!

The founder member of Darrvin has sold this entity to "GoElectric".  Sounds like they will be re-branding the bikes going forward.  They are just off the M3.  Give them a call on 073 378 6840.

Titan Racing is now also in this market segment, and well worth a look.

From my "homework" (not personal experience), the mid drive system is superior to the hub drive systems.  Hub drive coming in significantly cheaper ....

There have been many similar threads, and a few other brands are often punted.  MANY options, many more than two years ago.

ENJOY !!

Chilled Squirrel is where I got that quote from.  Great crowd indeed.  Just can't justify that price.  A lot of the options seem to only be pedal assist, but I do agree that there are so many options out there.  Quite overwhelming. 

2 minutes ago, vir0za said:

I sweat profusely with any kind of exercise.  I want to get to work and not need to shower.  Hence the throttle.

Uhmmm .... "e-bikes" do NOT have a "throttle".

e-bikes are what we used to call "help-my-trap".  NO motor assist if you dont pedal.

Electric motorcycles have "throttles".  These are technically illegal in SA, and thus very limited distribution.

Using "high boost" on an ebike you can get to work without sweating.  I find the biggest challenge that I start sweating before I put a backpack on .... I use a Euro-commuter carrier, and put my stuff on the carrier.  This really helps a LOT to stay dry to work.

5 minutes ago, vir0za said:

Chilled Squirrel is where I got that quote from.  Great crowd indeed.  Just can't justify that price.  A lot of the options seem to only be pedal assist, but I do agree that there are so many options out there.  Quite overwhelming. 

As a commuter only ... THIS is what I would buy now -

https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.co.za/product/titan-charge-e-one-29er-mountain-bike/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8Mrrpvnd_QIVZpBoCR2ubQ40EAQYASABEgKTbvD_BwE

@Titan Racing Bikes please come in and advise as to your latest offerings in this market segment.  And hub-drives ?

Edited by ChrisF

Can you direct me to something that says throttle assists that are limited to 22km or whatever it may be are illegal in SA?  First I hear of that.  And I have been asking.  Even asked chilled squirrel and they said it is legal.

5 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Uhmmm .... "e-bikes" do NOT have a "throttle".

e-bikes are what we used to call "help-my-trap".  NO motor assist if you dont pedal.

Electric motorcycles have "throttles".  These are technically illegal in SA, and thus very limited distribution.

Using "high boost" on an ebike you can get to work without sweating.  I find the biggest challenge that I start sweating before I put a backpack on .... I use a Euro-commuter carrier, and put my stuff on the carrier.  This really helps a LOT to stay dry to work.

Can you direct me to something that says throttle assists that are limited to 22km or whatever it may be are illegal in SA?  First I hear of that.  And I have been asking.  Even asked chilled squirrel and they said it is legal.

I have been using a Titan eTransporter Amsterdam since June last year, for a 10-12km commute, and it has been absolutely perfect for that application. Cruises at 28km/h (I weigh 92kg and the motor is 350W) and feels equivalent to a leisurely stroll. Here's my review:

Edited by JayLow
fixed the speed unit

Honestly wish I could just try one of these bikes out for a week or two.  Then I would know if pedal assists alone would be fine.  My route does have hills though.

Just now, Darkhorse Bikes and Wheels said:

Pop into our factory in Paarden Island and I am sure they will let you try one

Trying one for a quick ride, and being able to use one for a week or two for the actual route are two very different things. Not that I am expecting that.  Just saying it would be nice.