MTB UCI Season And TV

OVERDRIVE

1 hour ago, nickc said:

Also hoping DSTV will come to the party !!

omnico (along with those other three you all know about) have always been one of the sponsors during cycling streamed on SS.

With Alan Hatherley riding a Cannondale and defending the XCC title, I would think there'd be incentive to broadcast it, (but maybe it doesn't work like that).

2 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

omnico (along with those other three you all know about) have always been one of the sponsors during cycling streamed on SS.

With Alan Hatherley riding a Cannondale and defending the XCC title, I would think there'd be incentive to broadcast it, (but maybe it doesn't work like that).

Hopefully it will work like that :)

Hoping for a word of advice from those of you who are not going the DSTV route  and are going the GCN+ route: If you have a GCN+ subscription that you initiated from South Africa (does that matter?) and you are geo-blocked due to local rights issues, can you use that same GCN+ subsscription plus a VPN to watch the geo-blocked content?

I'm trying to figure out if I should go for GCN+, Discoveryplus, DSTV or something else (not yet defined) but I want to be sure before forking over the hard-earned cash.

Any advice?

I already miss Redbull...

Edited by NotShatterProof

19 minutes ago, NotShatterProof said:

Hoping for a word of advice from those of you who are not going the DSTV route  and are going the GCN+ route: If you have a GCN+ subscription that you initiated from South Africa (does that matter?) and you are geo-blocked due to local rights issues, can you use that same GCN+ subsscription plus a VPN to watch the geo-blocked content?

I'm trying to figure out if I should go for GCN+, Discoveryplus, DSTV or something else (not yet defined) but I want to be sure before forking over the hard-earned cash.

Any advice?

That's how i've been doing it for the past 2 years, so YES

1 hour ago, NotShatterProof said:

Any advice?

Not using GCN+ as yet, but going to get it soon. Last year I would always hear them saying on their preview shows that places were geo-blocked but I now hear them saying that just about everyone can watch, but I think sorting yourself out with a VPN would be benificial if you go the GCN+ route.

I think if you search/google the internet you might find some free streams e.g. Tiz-cycling, which has a mountain bike category.

Not sure they will be live streaming, but I've always found some stream somewhere. It might be with ads at times, but one can mostly work around that

With viable options available at decent annual subscriptions, there’s no need to go the illegal route. Do the right thing and subscribe, even if for a month at a time.

A1B92BF8-4F06-44DD-9B49-70D33E1459E2.jpeg

There is a press release doing the rounds - I saw it on Pink Bike. You will be able to watch U23 XCO live and free  on Youtube as well as the Junior and Semi final Elite DH races but will have to go the GCN route for the Elite final DH and basically all the other XCO racing - elite men and women and XCC. Cedric Gracia is the new DH commentator and Bart is back on XCO.  They have also brought in some commentators from other sports including Kate someone or other. 

Alrighty. Thanks for all the information folks. @Frosty, I did see that on the GCN website (and I did look at the GCN thread on the hub but it seemed somewhat stagnant), but my concern was that if I have registered via SA can I still watch stuff if it gets blocked. It seems I can. 

Mostly I intend to watch the XCO and DH so for my purposes then GCN+ sounds fine. Most likely the annual subscription will end up about the same as 7 months (roughly the length of the XCO/DH season) of monthly subscriptions, which isn't cheap but probably worth it.

The information may be stagnant, but not much has changed in the 3 years I’ve had GCN+, so a lot is still relevant today.

Races that are geo-blocked, eg. Tour de France, De Ronde, Paris-Roubaix, etc., you will need a VPN.

Cyclocross was mostly unblocked, but XCO/DHI is new to GCN+, so things may change. An open event listed on the calendar today might be blocked in the future. It depends what agreement StupidSport arranges.

Speaking of SS, they lost the rights to show the IPL. If it’s an April Fools joke, they’re a day early. Lots of unhappy subscribers.

Watching the cricket live now on Supersport they just announced that an agreement has been reached with the IPL organizers and it will now be shown 👍