Question from ITALY: Cape Town to Cape Point, back by public transports

Luca V

On 4/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, Luca V said:

Hi everybody, we are a group of 2 friends traveling to Cape Town next week to take part in Eroica South Africa on Saturday 22nd in Montagu.

We’ll stay in Cape Town for some days after the event and we’d like to get to Cape Point along the west route (Chapman’s Peak etc etc): considering that strong winds are very common in the southern section and fatigue from Saturday, we think of coming back to CPT with some kind of public transport. Any advice?

Thank you!

Luca

Ciao Luca!

I was riding in cape point over the weekend. The wind is extreme there, but normally more of an issue in peak summer when the SE blows, it blows there harder. so it would be mainly a tailwind for you from there. if you have a few days to play with then work out the best weather options. if you're doing the "classic Eroica route" then you shouldn't be too tired - the Nova and Hero are indeed tough though!

They will charge you R270 as a foreigner to ride a bike there (each). it is a lot!

I think your best bet is to get hold of a bike/ride operator, as many do have day trips into the park. you might find a lift back for you and your bikes onto one of their existing tours. There are taxis that operate within the park but i have no experience of using them, and their ability to transport bikes.

"AWOL tours" had a van there on the weekend

otherwise "iride africa" and "daytrippers" are good options

enjoy Eroica and the roosterkoek, first one I'm missing in a while!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/16/2023 at 9:36 AM, Luca V said:

Hi everybody, we are a group of 2 friends traveling to Cape Town next week to take part in Eroica South Africa on Saturday 22nd in Montagu.

We’ll stay in Cape Town for some days after the event and we’d like to get to Cape Point along the west route (Chapman’s Peak etc etc): considering that strong winds are very common in the southern section and fatigue from Saturday, we think of coming back to CPT with some kind of public transport. Any advice?

Thank you!

Luca

Let me know when you are going and I'll join you—its an amazing ride.

My last thought on this. The winds here fairly light from now. It still blows but it's not crazy bad.

For the best experience. Get an Uber XL to Hout Bay. Right to the bottom of Chapmans Peak. 

Ride from there. Go via Fish Hoek and Simons Town on the way out. That side is every bit as beautiful as the west side. On the way back go via Scarborough and Kommetjie. There's a great coffee stop in scarborough called the village hub. You'll re connect with your out route in Sun Valley. Ride over Chapmans Peak on the way back so you get to do it twice in 1 day. Total trip will be 75km with about 800m in climbing.

If you want to go to the actual Cape Point add another 25km on to that for a total distance of 100km and about 1100m in climbing. You'll pay to enter the reserve and it's extra for a bike. The last time we did it my sister in law who is a foreigner paid very close to R400. I surf in the reserve fairly often and for me it's a sacred place.

Take it slow and enjoy the sights. Get an Uber XL back from Hout Bay.

I'd STRONGLY advise against catching a train for foreigners. I've ridden commuter trains in Italy and our local equivalents are terrible in comparison. 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I’m confused, I thought you were doing a ride in Montague and then wanted to get from there to Cape Town. If you’re already in Cape Town then it a fantastic ride to Cape Point, even the wind has died down. No need for public transport. 

As others have mentioned, at this time of year the summer winds aren't nearly as much of a factor. Looking at Windguru (Cape Point) the forecast is looking good around the 25th, nothing more serious than a light 25km/hr wind.

I'd suggest a big day out ride of 130-40km or so - very doable, just take it easy there are loads of great places to stop for coffee & lunch. So ride from town over Chapman's peak then head through Simonstown to the point. Return via Scarborough back to Chapman's peak.

If you're going to be in CT for a couple of days then another option would be to do two rides.

Ride 1: hire a car, drive to Simonstown and ride into Cape Point. You can do 50km just in the reserve itself so with the addition of the stretch from Simonstown you're looking at 50-65km. When in the point Make sure to explore all the roads on the west side, Olifantsbos, Circle Route, Gifkommetjie, Cape of Good Hope. Make the most of your time in the reserve, it's a very special place. Look out for bontebok at Olifantsbos & ostriches at Cape of Good Hope. Also make sure to go visit the penguins at Boulders when in Simonstown.

Ride 2: from town over Suikerbossie to Houtbay then Chapman's peak, then over Black hill to Glencairn and through Simonstown then past Cape Point gates around to Scarborough and back to town, returning over Chapman's peak. 

Make the most of your time when you're here, you can rest & recover on the plane ride home!

20 hours ago, olmec said:

Let me know when you are going and I'll join you—its an amazing ride.

On Sunday, on our way back from Eroica in Montagu, we'll assess our fatigue and weather forecast for following days. Most probably on Tuesday 25.

We'll start from The Deck on Beach cafe in Mille Point.

I'll write on this thread day and time, once decided.

20 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Ciao Luca!

I was riding in cape point over the weekend. The wind is extreme there, but normally more of an issue in peak summer when the SE blows, it blows there harder. so it would be mainly a tailwind for you from there. if you have a few days to play with then work out the best weather options. if you're doing the "classic Eroica route" then you shouldn't be too tired - the Nova and Hero are indeed tough though!

They will charge you R270 as a foreigner to ride a bike there (each). it is a lot!

I think your best bet is to get hold of a bike/ride operator, as many do have day trips into the park. you might find a lift back for you and your bikes onto one of their existing tours. There are taxis that operate within the park but i have no experience of using them, and their ability to transport bikes.

"AWOL tours" had a van there on the weekend

otherwise "iride africa" and "daytrippers" are good options

enjoy Eroica and the roosterkoek, first one I'm missing in a while!

Ciao Shebeen and thanks for your advice. We are doing Nova Eroica so I expect it to be a bit heavy on us.

Anyway we'll see after the event what we can afford.

Cheers!

11 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

As others have mentioned, at this time of year the summer winds aren't nearly as much of a factor. Looking at Windguru (Cape Point) the forecast is looking good around the 25th, nothing more serious than a light 25km/hr wind.

I'd suggest a big day out ride of 130-40km or so - very doable, just take it easy there are loads of great places to stop for coffee & lunch. So ride from town over Chapman's peak then head through Simonstown to the point. Return via Scarborough back to Chapman's peak.

If you're going to be in CT for a couple of days then another option would be to do two rides.

Ride 1: hire a car, drive to Simonstown and ride into Cape Point. You can do 50km just in the reserve itself so with the addition of the stretch from Simonstown you're looking at 50-65km. When in the point Make sure to explore all the roads on the west side, Olifantsbos, Circle Route, Gifkommetjie, Cape of Good Hope. Make the most of your time in the reserve, it's a very special place. Look out for bontebok at Olifantsbos & ostriches at Cape of Good Hope. Also make sure to go visit the penguins at Boulders when in Simonstown.

Ride 2: from town over Suikerbossie to Houtbay then Chapman's peak, then over Black hill to Glencairn and through Simonstown then past Cape Point gates around to Scarborough and back to town, returning over Chapman's peak. 

Make the most of your time when you're here, you can rest & recover on the plane ride home!

Interesting option, thanks. Don't think we can dedicate two days down to the Cape, as we have plenty of places to explore around Cape Town.

Most important info is that winds shouldn't be as strong as I remember (been to Cape Point three times over the years).

Grazie!

26 minutes ago, Luca V said:

Interesting option, thanks. Don't think we can dedicate two days down to the Cape, as we have plenty of places to explore around Cape Town.

Most important info is that winds shouldn't be as strong as I remember (been to Cape Point three times over the years).

Grazie!

I'd definitely suggest doing a big day ride then. Start at 7am, if you've got bike lights then get going earlier, sunrise is beautiful this time of year, even on the "wrong" side. Stop for lunch on your way back in Scarborough at The Village Hub: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NScXeGhMXzZPda4L8

When leaving Scarborough just make sure to stick to the coastal road and ride around to Kommetjie. Avoid taking the short cut over Oceanview for security reasons. (Checkout the map attached)

Recommend Windguru for Cape Point wind forecasts, their rain prediction isn't great but wind in the south is usually spot on: https://www.windguru.cz/128493

Whatever you do, just make sure to do more in the reserve than just ride to the actual point. Riding down to Olifantsbos is a 20km out & back extension but well worth it and also the best chance of seeing Bontebok and maybe even an Eland. Circle route including a visit to the Gifkommetjie view site is another must do in the reserve.

Stop in Simonstown for a morning coffee & pastry, you'll see a couple of cafe's on the right just before Jubilee square.

There's a convenience store on the left just as you leave Simonstown, it'll be the last refueling option for water etc before you reach the cafe in the reserve at the actual point. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RbMBzfqH3RvX99LJ7

Enjoy!

Screenshot_20230418-091701~2.png

Edited by NC_lurker
Oceanview security warning

6 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

I'd definitely suggest doing a big day ride then. Start at 7am, if you've got bike lights then get going earlier, sunrise is beautiful this time of year, even on the "wrong" side. Stop for lunch on your way back in Scarborough at The Village Hub: https://maps.app.goo.gl/NScXeGhMXzZPda4L8

When leaving Scarborough just make sure to stick to the coastal road and ride around to Kommetjie. Avoid taking the short cut over Oceanview for security reasons. (Checkout the map attached)

Recommend Windguru for Cape Point wind forecasts, their rain prediction isn't great but wind in the south is usually spot on: https://www.windguru.cz/128493

Whatever you do, just make sure to do more in the reserve than just ride to the actual point. Riding down to Olifantsbos is a 20km out & back extension but well worth it and also the best chance of seeing Bontebok and maybe even an Eland. Circle route including a visit to the Gifkommetjie view site is another must do in the reserve.

Stop in Simonstown for a morning coffee & pastry, you'll see a couple of cafe's on the right just before Jubilee square.

There's a convenience store on the left just as you leave Simonstown, it'll be the last refueling option for water etc before you reach the cafe in the reserve at the actual point. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RbMBzfqH3RvX99LJ7

Enjoy!

Screenshot_20230418-091701~2.png

you get run over by a polo once and this is what happens.

uber or bolt.red busses maybe. there are private touring cpy's as well that do a good job especially if you have bikes and stuff.

but unless you are willing experience the true south african donation system (by gun or knife point), id stay away from public transport.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, Luca V said:

Most probably on 25 or 26.

Any local rider is welcome to join!

Was going to offer to come and pick you up and drop you off wherever, but unfortunately, I will be away on those dates. 

36 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

you get run over by a polo once and this is what happens.

...sucks to be that guy!

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I'm assuming nothing positive has yet come out of all the effort you've put in to get the guys prosecuted?

4 minutes ago, NC_lurker said:

...sucks to be that guy!

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I'm assuming nothing positive has yet come out of all the effort you've put in to get the guys prosecuted?

What are you referring to guys?

Luca