Wider platform clip pedals

Sloggy

Hi all

Always ridden with shim xt clip pedals

Thinking of trying larger platform clip pedal

What are the advantage/diss doing this and any recommendation (dont want to spend alot) as i may not like it 

What do you mean bigger platform? There is the general sales pitch of a bigger platform using the simple SPD concept, but there are those massive pedals that actually look like no-cleat pedals but are. My comment refers to the SPD concept.

It boggles the mind that every time one of the big OEMs mentions one or the other gimmick, most just simply believe it. Big platform, my @ss. Since you've been riding the XT platform, have a close look at the wear patterns on it. The platform size seldom contributes to the contact between the shoe and the pedal. The SPD design locks everything right around the cleat. The rest is cosmetic (excluding weight, bearings and seals). 

fantastic reply its exactly what I want to hear

I just thought having the wider platform would give my foot a more controlled and more comfortable placement. it would also for some reason give me more confidence on the technical side

I see the endurance and downhill boys wearing crank brother mallets or similar that look like flats but have the advantage of the clips for pedaling and control

Thanks for the honest reply

FYI i would have to stick to shimano as I have xt pedals on both my road and mtb

the platform on those XT pedals will give you no extra contact or stability on your shoe when clipped in but it will allow you to ride unclipped on steep technical climbs or descents if you have the right shoe without a slippery carbon sole...it is how I have been riding for years..

No contact between the sole of the shoe and the platform. Sadly an expensive lesson I learned. 

The only benefit I found was how easy it is to find the pedal when things get gnarly and you have to clip back in. 

On 5/8/2023 at 7:48 PM, Sloggy said:

Hi all

Always ridden with shim xt clip pedals

Thinking of trying larger platform clip pedal

What are the advantage/diss doing this and any recommendation (dont want to spend alot) as i may not like it 

the most important thing is the shoe and how it interacts with the pedal platform when clipped in...if it even touches at all...

I bought a pair of XTR platforms on special, and to be honest, no difference, maybe it comes in handy if you take the bike to the supermarket in running shoes, otherwise just stick to standard SPDs

Edited by Sidmouth

I use both. I have little XT pedals on my hardtail, and shim 530s on my trail bike.

Pick your pedals for the riding you (want to) do.

If you are riding with stiff soled shoes, then there is no benefit. If you are riding trails ranging from non- technical to red trails , then don’t bother with wider pedals. ie 
If you have hike-a bike type shoes like the spez 2fo, Leatt and 5:10s, then there may be more support. Mine definitely does. 

If you are riding technical trails where you can't just clip back in, then wider pedals definitely will help you keep riding. See exhibit A. That's me riding unclipped with the pedal underneath the arch of my feet with heels dropped. It would have sucked with little pedals or racing slippers.

4CA41A88-1441-4255-B90A-D0E7BD342E43.png

Edited by PhilipV

Following.

I just bought the Look X-Track pedals after riding Shim XTR for a long time - it was time for new pedals anyway but went with Look for the (slightly) wider platform and claimed stability and better power transfer...maybe I was a victim of unsupported marketing claims...

Have a look at something like the nukeproof horizons. Sort of a cross between a flat and clipless pedal. There are a wide variety of that sort of pedal, but locally we are very limited.

One of the guys in our riding group just put these on his bike:

DBB549F0-0B7F-423A-AC38-AA88E738F0F7.jpeg.c4fe14aa38e5358b7392e92c675e3a5d.jpegEA6C10FC-1D7E-41D3-8A05-DE10C4DD0042.jpeg.86dab5bde6e98af3105e2e0664d442d5.jpeg

Even if they give no extra support, they are nice looking!

Have you tried the DX pedals?  They seem to contradict what has been said above?

I have been using the for years and years without any of the above.  They are a comfort pedal for me.

I have switched over to the Shimano trail pedals on my MTB and they are awesome (Shimano MTB cleat with a wide platform). Personally I feel that you can put more power through the bigger pedal (ie no shoe flex/wobble), and there is no cleat pressure that you might get from smaller pedals. 

I'd say go for it. you won't look back.