Trek Bike sizing L or XL

wapad

On 5/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, wapad said:

I'm looking at getting a Trek Top Fuel, I think I'm at  the edge of Large  with a saddle height set to 77cm, is there any benefit in getting a larger bike where you are considered more in the sweet spot, most try get a smaller bike because its lighter.

at 185cm-6'1" i think I fit on a large any thoughts on the LargerXL frame I'm assuming more comfort due to higher stack height etc. 

I'm more or less the same height - Was also hovering between the L or XL when i bought my Superfly - I eventually went with the XL. I cracked the frame after 6 years and TREK replaced it with the Top fuel also an XL. Done the bike fit thing and my saddle is set to a point where my toes touch the ground when seated, but i run a dropper post so when i stop i drop it which makes it a lot easier to get on an off especially when i stop on a steep climb.

I also changed the stem to 50mm which made a huge difference in my upper body position and handling especially cornering.

I think both sizes would work though the setup would be slightly different 

I am 1.92 and I always rode a large frames.  My current bike is XL and that was one of my best decisions I ever made.

The resale value of a XL bike always kept me from up sizing.  But, then I got to the conclusion, I don't by bikes just to sell them again.  I buy bikes for riding.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

1. Sizing between brands differ vastly !!  I loved the fit of the L Scott.  No way I could ride the L Giant.

Heck, a buddy had a L Scott, just ordered the new L Scott.  Sure 10 years between them.  He had to drop the seat post ALL the way down ... only the lift of the cleats made it work .... few nervous moments there !!!

Never ever trust a sizing chart.  Do a test ride.

2.  Couple of posts above have confirmed there IS STOCK in L.  Sounds like it is limited and may be consigned to other stores already .... phone calls ... track em down !!!  Many shops are poor with emails, topic for a different day ...

3.  Your shop needs to move stock !!!  Basic business ..... their answers are often tainted by this business requirement ... learn this lesson early, and filter answers accordingly.

4. Age and growth spurts .... one of the most unpredictable, and expensive, realities of having kids.  So very tempting to say buy the XL "you will grow into it".  But ... if your next growth spurt is in 9 months time, and if some geometry on that bike does not work for you .... it can cause all kinds of injuries and issues ....

Suggestion .... does your current ride still fit you ?  Ride it until that next growth spurt ....

thanks so much for the advice i appreciate it. i’m trying to find a xl that is in stock somewhere so i can go test before actually buying it and the bike i have now a ebike and it dose fit me fine but im looking at a enduro bike now im going to go try a large now and hopefully i can also try a xl

Also be sure to check out TREK SA website - theres a few very discounted deals being offered, but sizes seem to be limited

Heres a TF 5 Gen 3 in XL discounted from 45K to 28K

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/top-fuel/top-fuel-5-gen-3/p/35071/?colorCode=greydark

For an Enduro bike - look at the Slash - also some very good deals in XL

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/slash/slash-9-8-xt-gen-5/p/36732/?colorCode=grey

and

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/slash/slash-8-gen-5/p/36731/?colorCode=orange