Help Me Start a Bike Business

3 hours ago, Wyatt Earp said:

It’s mos easy.

Shops are making 200% margins 

Actually I wonder how those 'cheap' online purchases are doing at 20USD to the ZA rondt ....

Like those shoes and helmet you try on at your LBS for fit then order online 🫣

1 hour ago, AnrichG said:

Westdene is also selling Marin, we are busy expanding to a few different retailers nationwide. We also give you the option for custom bikes, you can call me then I can give you a full run down. 066 057 3778

Cool i have your details. Maybe a nice custom San Quentin 😂

IMG-20230606-WA0016.jpg

Edited by Barry

Interesting concept - I too think in this market (and SA is a small market, by global standards) you might battle, b-u-t I do like your idea of a bike that can be CONFIGURED to the bike you want/need: drop bar or flat bar, SS or geared - that there alone broadens a market...

Now, if you can think of a bike-related project you can EXPORT in the current climate, to the global market - an accessory, etc, THEN I think you have a much better fighting chance...

I have a 26er frame with sliding dropouts for single speed, or it can take a derailleur. Plus its a dual sus.

On 5/29/2023 at 11:31 AM, TyronLab said:

I've had an idea stuck in my head for a few weeks now. It's been keeping me up at night and occupying my every spare thought, and I need Bikehub's help to make sense of it.

I've been wanting a Salsa Cutthroat / Curve GMX forever, as they're perfect for the type of riding I do and what I think a lot of people in SA (in Gauteng at least) do, and actually represent a great option for someone that's starting out riding.

Frame specs:

• Relaxed gravel bike geometry
    • Drop bars intended as the primary control configuration with a short-ish stem (50mm) so that you could use flat bars too.
    • Slacker head angle (~69°).
    • Increased stack height for comfort and balanced handling (targeting level saddle and bars).
  • Tapered head tube with a 490mm Axle to Crown to accept rigid MTB forks or 100mm suspension forks.
  • Clearance for 29x2.4 tyres.
  • Sliding dropouts, for SS setups.
  • 31.6mm seatpost for dropper compatibility.
  • 38t chainring compatible.
  • 1x Specific

You could then configure this bike to your intended budget and preference:

• Drop bars (46cm wide on a M frame, 20° of flare) or flat bars (760mm wide)
  • Single speed or geared (10-speed Microshift Advent due to interchangeability between flat and drop bar controls, reliable, cheap)
  • Rigid (aluminium or carbon) or suspension (100mm Air Fork)
  • Rigid seatpost or Dropper (~125mm)

The Drop Bar / Geared / Rigid Aluminium Fork / Rigid Seatpost version should, by all accounts, be pretty affordable. Slap a set of fast rolling Rekon Races on there and you've got a bike that can tackle 75% of the single track JHB has to offer, but won't suck riding around your 'hood or with an entry level roadie group if you're a beginner.

The issue I have is sourcing. I have worked extensively in manufacturing, but nothing in this realm, so I'm not sure what the current supply chain economics look like.

• Who makes custom frames (maybe components) at small to medium scale?
  • Full international sourcing of complete bikes? Partial international/local sourcing? Local sourcing and assembly?
  • What's the minimum order quantities like (10 / 100 / 1000 / 10000 units?) and at which point does volume scaling make sense?
  • What are the cost drivers (do through axles and sliding dropouts triple the price vs. vertical QR, or doesn't it matter)?

These are the questions I have not the foggiest idea about. 

Maybe this becomes just a one-hit wonder for me alone to have and use, but something inside me feels there could be more here.

There may or may not also be a design in the making...

20230527_143343.jpg

This sounds like something that Surly has been trying to perfect - maybe instead of reinventing the wheel, there is something that could be done around importing a bunch of Surly frames and doing custom builds based on your specs above? 

Momsen st-r.... think takealot still selling them.... and rook scouts.... or a a frame with eccentric bb??? Lots of ways to skin a cat.