Titan Racing Cypher 120 Carbon Dash - Best bike under 40K?

J_Byrne

Howdy, 

Looking to get a new bike after mine was stolen. 

Been taking a look at what's out there. 

The budget is around R40K. 

I see Olympic have a sale on at the moment -> any thoughts on the Titan 2023 Cypher 120 Carbon Dash | Olympic Cycles

I love a good climb and generally ride in Tokai, but I am not a speed freak regarding the descents. 

Any suggestions on other 2nd hand options that are Carbon that you can recommend? 

Does it have to be carbon? If yes, why? 

Admittedly, that is a pretty good deal on the sale price right now, but other than the carbon frame, that depending on your needs, could be a positive point, the rest of that build is pretty rubbish. That Judy fork is horrible, very flexy, had one on a scale a few year back. 

SX drivetrain is also horrible. Even NX is borderline. I wouldn’t look at SRAM drivetrains below GX. The lower range drivetrains is where Shimano really shines. Deore and SLX are really good compared to the lower level sram stuff.

At R40k, I would rather look at an allu frame with better build kit on.

Trek Top Fuel 5 at R35k is in my opinion a much better deal. Admittedly still not a great fork, but the recon is at least a little stiffer than the Judy (Judy is 30mm alluminum stanchion, vs recon 32mm Steel) - Judy is lighter, but at a huge cost in stiffness. If you weight anything over 75kg, I wouldn’t dream of riding a Judy.

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/trail-mountain-bikes/

I bought that titan racer cypher but it unfortunately got stolen. I had problems with the shram shifter from the get go. It was upgraded which made a difference. Also now looking for a new bike in that price range and will check out the trek as mentioned above. Quite overwhelming when you are new in the game!

Thanks 

5 hours ago, J_Byrne said:

Howdy, 

Looking to get a new bike after mine was stolen. 

Been taking a look at what's out there. 

The budget is around R40K. 

I see Olympic have a sale on at the moment -> any thoughts on the Titan 2023 Cypher 120 Carbon Dash | Olympic Cycles

I love a good climb and generally ride in Tokai, but I am not a speed freak regarding the descents. 

Any suggestions on other 2nd hand options that are Carbon that you can recommend? 

If it was me, at that budget I’d be looking at aluminium, there are some solid options at that price point. As mentioned above the top fuel is an excellent bike, I rode one in Tokai for a year and it’s super capable, definitely look at changing out the fork though (I’d do the same with the cypher you mentioned).

Other options I’d be looking at:

Marin rift zone 2 https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/dual-suspension-bikes/646729/2023-marin-rift-zone-2-brand-new

Merida 120

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/merida-one-twenty-600-2023

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new bike ✌️

Probably going to get blasted for saying this, but have you considered buying 2nd hand?

If you don't feel comfortable telling what is/isn't a good deal, get a buddy who knows a lot about bikes, or even your LBS will be willing to help.

You could get a much nicer spec carbon bike second hand, then you every could new. (Another benefit of second hand is you don't have to take the hit of the brutal depreciation on bikes as soon as they leave the shop)

2 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

Disclaimer, I know nothing about mountain bikes. But: https://bike-addict.co.za/products/titan-cypher-120-limited-alloy-2023

I would definitely go for this one over the carbon one. 

With the carbon one you are paying for the frame and the rest is 💩 with the aluminium one you are paying for the parts and I will take a bet that it's a overall lighter bike than the carbon one. 

2 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I would definitely go for this one over the carbon one. 

With the carbon one you are paying for the frame and the rest is 💩 with the aluminium one you are paying for the parts and I will take a bet that it's a overall lighter bike than the carbon one. 

This is what I did, zero regrets with that groupset and suspension. 

Trek Top Fuel for the win. Much better geo than the Titan. I’ve had one for almost two years now. It is a super versatile and competent bike. Climbs like a mountain goat, descents like a stabbed rat. The frame is a really good base to upgrade from as you progress. I’ve also had excellent service from the Trek dealers and Trek SA themselves. Highly recommended