Advice: Black Hill MTB track to Old Mule Track (Simonstown)

Zebra

Met a group last weekend who had cycled from the top of Black Hill (Glencairn Expressway) through to Simonstown, down past the Lewis Gay dam, ending up on the Old Mule Track….

2 questions:

1. I have heard I should not ride this alone, due to possibly sketchy characters - any thoughts on this?

2. I can see it it could be easy to go left (dead end?) early on, when right. - a big loop - seems to be the correct way; any pointers before I tackle it?

I have a vague memory of doing some of this back in the early 2000’s, but VERY vague!
thanks!
Chris

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

that area is pretty dangerous...there is even a sign at the entrance on Blackhill with a warning...best avoided unfortunately even though it is a very pretty ride but very sandy in summer

On 6/17/2023 at 2:50 PM, Zebra said:

Met a group last weekend who had cycled from the top of Black Hill (Glencairn Expressway) through to Simonstown, down past the Lewis Gay dam, ending up on the Old Mule Track….

2 questions:

1. I have heard I should not ride this alone, due to possibly sketchy characters - any thoughts on this?

2. I can see it it could be easy to go left (dead end?) early on, when right. - a big loop - seems to be the correct way; any pointers before I tackle it?

I have a vague memory of doing some of this back in the early 2000’s, but VERY vague!
thanks!
Chris

I don't ride this because it is known as being dodgy. it's probably fine, but is it worth the rush if you have other options?

I don't know of actual cyclists having incidents, but there have been a few muggings of hikers around kleinplaas.

The early exit gets you out at navy flats at welcome glen 

thanks @guidodgand @Shebeen - appreciate your advice/comments - i still wish to try it, will team up with another rider or 2, and keep my eyes open....

Cheers

Chris

Its really nice up there, especially at this time of year when the sand is firm and easy to ride on.  Its really beautiful, but you do need to be careful.  A buddy of mine was bike jacked up there although that was many years ago now.  
The bigger loop around is the best way to get to the dam and then on to the mule path.  

I went running up there a few weeks ago - first time I've been up there in years.  Still great! 

Edited by dirtypot

Used to do this often 20 years ago, always starting from top of Red Hill. There were some attacks on large groups of hikers a few years back. There are parts that get very sandy in summer, so after the rainy season is best. Some parts will be too wet now -- there was always one marshy area to cross.

1 hour ago, Anthem24 said:

Some parts will be too wet now -- there was always one marshy area to cross.

There's a big wooden bridge over the marshy area, so its easy to get over it now.