Stuck between two local brands: Signal vs Titan Racing

Dylanmtb

4 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

@Dylanmtb if i may chime in... I'm sure you've sat on the bikes, but at 188, your probably don't need to be looking at an XL.

I'm 188 and 100kg, and while my large Cannondale fits me perfectly, but i've always wished i got to spend some time on a medium before buying. I imagine it would increase the fun factor, a smaller frame would be more flickable/lively.

the opinions of more experienced MTB'ers will be worth hearing, but i'd wager that smaller is safer. you can always make a small bike bigger, but you can't shrink a farm gate.

This is always a topic for the keyboard experts to be more right.

I am short, but at 1.75 I prefer small bikes. I hate feeling strung out and hate having issues with stand over height.

Some people love riding bikes way to big for them. I've seen guys the same height as me riding Larges.

While the 'experts' will tell you bigger is more stable and have a skew of reasons, the truth is it comes down to feel. What FEELS best for you.

I love tiny bikes. Real human size bikes do not look or feel nice to me. But I am certainly not going to tell those riding on the wrong size bike that is way too big for them they are wrong if they like how it feels.

So, OP, test some barn doors, test some normal size bikes. Spend some time trying things out, even if it's in the car park of the bike shop.

The bike should always feel 'good' when you get on it and little tweaks make it 'perfect'. It should never feel awkward with the 'I can fix that with a longer/shorter part'. Odds are you can make it less awkward, but it will still be far from good.

Take your time buying, if you're stretching a budget it's already a big enough layout to get 'as close to perfect' as possible, even if it takes a few weeks

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

This is always a topic for the keyboard experts to be more right.

I am short, but at 1.75 I prefer small bikes. I hate feeling strung out and hate having issues with stand over height.

Some people love riding bikes way to big for them. I've seen guys the same height as me riding Larges.

While the 'experts' will tell you bigger is more stable and have a skew of reasons, the truth is it comes down to feel. What FEELS best for you.

I love tiny bikes. Real human size bikes do not look or feel nice to me. But I am certainly not going to tell those riding on the wrong size bike that is way too big for them they are wrong if they like how it feels.

So, OP, test some barn doors, test some normal size bikes. Spend some time trying things out, even if it's in the car park of the bike shop.

The bike should always feel 'good' when you get on it and little tweaks make it 'perfect'. It should never feel awkward with the 'I can fix that with a longer/shorter part'. Odds are you can make it less awkward, but it will still be far from good.

Take your time buying, if you're stretching a budget it's already a big enough layout to get 'as close to perfect' as possible, even if it takes a few weeks

"Feel" is certainly a very personal thing, and changes on terrain ridden and so many other factors ....

@Jewbacca I note we are both vertically challenged ...

My first dual sus was a Small.  I liked the "feel" of the bike.  As my distances increased I started getting all kinds of issues with my knees and back.  (after 20 years of arthritis this was expected ...)

When I went for a bike fit the size of the bike was noted as the main cause of my knee issues .... it was not possible to get my knees alligned correctly with the pedals, i.e. I was sitting to far forward.

For my next bike I was close to the cut-off between M and L ....  I went for the Scott in Large, and LOVED it !!!  I trippled my riding distances and the issues and pains were sorted.

BUT .... I was using it for "longer rides" and "manicured trails".  Not sure what that would have "felt" like at places such as Jonkershoek ....

When I bought the Giant their sizing placed me smack bang in the middle of their M range.  They did the setup, and I measured it against the Scott ... PERFECT fit "for my knees".  In terms of "feel", it was initially weird to sit upright.  At Eselfontein, Augrabies, etc this bike handles the trails VERY well !!  The only drawback here has no relation to the size of the bike, but rather the size of goens ....

So noon question now🤣 

Recommend Tyre pressure? It's tubeless and I usually ride on a rocky track. Is 2.4 bar to low?

1 hour ago, Dylanmtb said:

So noon question now🤣 

Recommend Tyre pressure? It's tubeless and I usually ride on a rocky track. Is 2.4 bar to low?

That is really hard, I would try like 1.5bar in front and 1.7bar rear

1 hour ago, Dylanmtb said:

So noon question now🤣 

Your weight ....

Your terrain ....

Tyre size ....

These all determine the optimal pressure for the day.

@Chadvdw67 certainly is in the right ball park.  Experiment on short loop ... deflate and ride ... again and again.... you can feel the "bumpy" go away, and then later a "wobbly" feel.

Just be careful on the low end ... the tyre can debead or pinch.flat ....

ride with a friend, follow them and watch the rear tyre .... ask them to experiment with the tyre pressure.  You can SEE as the tyre bounces about at high pressure, as the pressure drops you see as the bike settles down 👍👍