Fox 34 Rhythm clicking sound after 'upgrade'

Razor1972

Hi. About a week ago I took my Fox 34 Rhythm fork away to have the travel increased from 120mm to 140mm. Due to the rain I only managed to go for a ride a week later. Climbing was fine, but, then, when going down the fork started making a clicking sound. Literally on every bump. It was fine for the first 50m or so on single track. I'm obviously taking it back to have it fixed, but what can cause this? A friend of mine said his buddy went to the same place a while back and had the same problem (different fork) and they told him that it is supposed to be like that 😐

I also notice that the one side seem to be lifted on top... or maybe it was like that and I never noticed before

IMG_6116.jpg

Did you get a new spring and damper? AFAIK the stock damper will only work to 120mm.

Besides that, is everything torqued correctly, headset bearings greased and in good shape. The gap between the remote cap and the damper looks ok from what I recall for the Scotts I had. Does the Twinlock work after the upgrade? Going 20mm more on travel, on what I assume is a Spark, is borderline. You might be loading something up more than it wants with the slacker head angle and longer wheelbase

Edited by thebob

Thanks for the reply. As far as I understand, the whole mechanism is replaced. I do know that fork is capable of up to 150mm. And the travel adjustment is fully allowed. 
the noise is coming from the shaft, not the headset or any bike part. I suppose I’ll have to wait and see what they before I try to diagnose it myself 

Some frames just don't want to be extended on the forks regardless of what the fork manufacturer claims is possible. If you lengthen the travel too much it can put undue pressure on the headset and other parts. OEM suppliers may also refrain from honouring any warranties if a fork is extended beyond factory specifications.

It's definitely not meant to do that.

Could be a few things:

Headset loose / undergreased / badly assembled

Topcaps not tightened properly

CSU creak

Not the fork at all, but some other bit of the bike that's creaking

First two are easy enough to sort out, CSU creak less so but it can be done. You don't say where you are, but if it's easy enough to get to CT I can have a look at it for you.

That bit you've pointed out on your photo is normal.

1 hour ago, droo said:

It's definitely not meant to do that.

Could be a few things:

Headset loose / undergreased / badly assembled

Topcaps not tightened properly

CSU creak

Not the fork at all, but some other bit of the bike that's creaking

First two are easy enough to sort out, CSU creak less so but it can be done. You don't say where you are, but if it's easy enough to get to CT I can have a look at it for you.

That bit you've pointed out on your photo is normal.

Thanks for the reply. Someone else also mentioned CSU creak, but it's a click not a creak on every compression. Not sure if there is a difference. I am in Tokai, Cape Town. Would be great if I can bring to you to have a listen, before I take it back to the shop that worked on it. 

CSU creaks can make a few noises, usually closer to a click.

If your LBS can't cure it, pop in and we'll have a look for you.

15 minutes ago, droo said:

CSU creaks can make a few noises, usually closer to a click.

If your LBS can't cure it, pop in and we'll have a look for you.

LBS?