Specialized Announce New Traverse MTB Wheels

News bot

Carefully Engineered To Be Ridden Recklessly Specialized have announced a new line-up of three Roval Traverse wheelsets. Each model—Traverse SL II, Traverse HD, Traverse ALLOY—was developed around the pillars of durability, performance, and control, yet each with a specific application. Check out the full press release below. Traverse SL II | Smoother is Faster Trail […]

View full article

So is the two year warranty only valid for the USA? If so, that is a load of rubbish. Why aren't customers in other territories taken care of the same way as the Americans?

Pretty intrigued about the compliancy claims, I won't lie...

A set of SL II hoops is likely going to retail for >R40k if the existing Traverse SLs are R33k. Luckily I got a set of those at 50% off today, score!

MicrosoftTeams-image.png.9d0ee62b70ba4fbf4c688a91d40e4a58.png

Had a set of Rovals on my bike. They got properly trashed riding enduro, technical trails and jumping. I replaced them with a set of Rapidé wheels that have not shown any sign of weakness in the 24 months I've been riding them. Replacement Rovals cost in excess of R20k for Alu and the Rapidé cost less than R8k.

I'm toying with getting a Status 160 soon. First to go will be those Rovals.

11 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Had a set of Rovals on my bike. They got properly trashed riding enduro, technical trails and jumping. I replaced them with a set of Rapidé wheels that have not shown any sign of weakness in the 24 months I've been riding them. Replacement Rovals cost in excess of R20k for Alu and the Rapidé cost less than R8k.

OEM Wheels are usually the first big ticket item to be replaced. Especially if you are riding enduro, big, progressing, jumping, a Neanderthal, like rocky trails or basically riding anything other than gravel roads. 
move replaced wheels on my XTC, Merida, Trance  and current Genius. It’s par for the course really. 

But I like that they offer a robust alloy version. I like Roval wheels, and the one I haven’t broken is performing beautifully on the front of my SS. (It’s rear counterpart has died a horrible death on Helderberg.)

jeez Robbie you’ve been toying with that idea for ages, or mumbling about a Rapide. I hope that 2024 is the Year of the Bike for you. 

46 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

But I like that they offer a robust alloy version. I like Roval wheels, and the one I haven’t broken is performing beautifully on the front of my SS. (It’s rear counterpart has died a horrible death on Helderberg.)

jeez Robbie you’ve been toying with that idea for ages, or mumbling about a Rapide. I hope that 2024 is the Year of the Bike for you. 

I am at pretty sure that is the only space a roval works - on the front :D

I am also seriously in two minds about the next bike. Do I get the Status 160 for the rowdy days and convert the Camber to a more tamer, distance friendly bike that I can use for those long days in the saddle? Or do I go the Rapide HT route and build up to the desired level, but then have a trail capable HT? But then the Camber is still just what it is, a bike that is not quite fit for purpose no matter what I ride. Decisions, decisions. At the end of the day, according to my calculations they will likely end up being ball-park the same price.

But I am also strongly hoping 2024 is the year to upgrade. Having a 5 y.o. is awesome, but yoh, they cost a ton.

13 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Depends which Rovals. The entry level ones are a bit rubbish, but the higher end ones are proper. Especially since they've stopped arsing about with clever spoke patterns and proprietary front hubs.

41 minutes ago, droo said:

Especially since they've stopped arsing about with clever spoke patterns and proprietary front hubs.

And apparently the same spoke length for front and rear.

I am not a fan of the bladed spokes, I had a set of Mavic wheels on a 26er and whenever I stood up to put the power down the wheels flexed so much that it touched the sides of the fork. Now with a even bigger wheel I doubt that it will be any better. 

1 hour ago, Irvin85 said:

I am not a fan of the bladed spokes, I had a set of Mavic wheels on a 26er and whenever I stood up to put the power down the wheels flexed so much that it touched the sides of the fork. Now with a even bigger wheel I doubt that it will be any better. 

That's got nothing to do with bladed spokes, that's either a badly designed or badly built wheel, or running too big a tyre for your fork.

2 hours ago, Irvin85 said:

I , I had a set of Mavic wheels on a 26er 

1 hour ago, droo said:

that's either a badly designed or badly built wheel, 

With my experience, it was both.