[Event] Velddrif 222 Velddrif

City Cycling  Athletic Club

1 minute ago, lechatnoir said:

It's the Weskus... Plan on there being wind. If it's a northerly, it'll probably blow the whole day, so plan on a later arrival in Elands, but tailwind from there. If it's a S/SE-er, plan on it appearing later on - perfect for a headwind on the trundle back to Velddrif. Easterlies and westerlies only crop up later afternoon, so shouldn't bother you

I will take your photo, but only if you smile nicely

Looking forward to that picture!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Can we have full clarity on feeding rules please.

Last year feeds from cars and moving feeds from road side was not allowed. Seems road side moving feeds are back, but only in one location on route? What about car feeds?

no feeding from the convoy - i am not riding this year so i will impress upon the officials that this must be strictly enforced. we are in the process of identifying 2 feed zones on the route which will be different from the dedicated waterpoints for those that need to stop and refuel whether it is from the water point or their own roadd side back up.

provisional feed zone at the moment will be at the t junction of the Eland Bay / Eendekuil Rd and the climb out of Elands Bay. i need to inspect before i confirm with officials

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Times?! 

My goal is to finish before it gets dark!

if memory serves me right, you did it in quite a good time so the only way you will finish in the dark is if you are doing the loop twice... in which case, WOW, Legend!

Edited by Denis Dell

7 minutes ago, Denis Dell said:

if memory serves me right, you did it in quite a good time so the only way you will finish in the dark is if you are doing the loop twice... in which case, WOW, Legend!

I am more suggesting I have no real expectations. Not sure what the group will look like or how well it will move and I'm not going off the front from the neutral zone this year.

Really really looking forward to it though. See you at the start. Hopefully it isn't as cold as last year!

Last year I was freezing!

Indeed, 222km requires some discipline, every single bike event, be that a club ride or a race, I keep telling myself, do not go to the front... 5km into the ride, who is in the front...

But yes, looking forward to the starting times as well.  Will be good if we could get a few groups working together.

I'm actually gutted I won't be doing this event this year. I was planning to travel from JHB as I had a blast in the 2022 edition. 

If it's your first time doing it, just make sure you don't get dropped from your bunch. And if you do get dropped the faster bunch behind will drag you along and leave you in shambles. 

It's a long way from the great "mountain of Mordor" to Velddrif if you are alone. 

Entries were closed on Friday and the seeding has been completed but there was a flurry of requests to reopen the entry portal till Friday the 25th August. THIS HAS BEEN DONE.

The route has been inspected and all looks good (from a car driver's perspective). the flowers are out , albeit a bit a bit small , the Verloerensvlei is the fullest it has been for a very long time. 

Long term weather forecast is for a sunny day with a light breeze for the entire area.

25 minutes ago, City Cycling Athletic Club said:

Entries were closed on Friday and the seeding has been completed but there was a flurry of requests to reopen the entry portal till Friday the 25th August. THIS HAS BEEN DONE.

The route has been inspected and all looks good (from a car driver's perspective). the flowers are out , albeit a bit a bit small , the Verloerensvlei is the fullest it has been for a very long time. 

Long term weather forecast is for a sunny day with a light breeze for the entire area.

Awesome. 

When will we get our seeding/procedure emails? I just want to know what time of night I need to wake up to get there in time to get and pin my number on... 

Keep it simple like last year. 

No backup, stop if you want to feed, grap a bottle and go.

Feeding on the go will be a disaster, the average cyclist don't have the skill to grap a musette on the go.

just my 2c

Edited by Thornman

14 hours ago, Thornman said:

Keep it simple like last year. 

Agreed. The rules last year were perfectly fine.
Problem was unclear and very late communication about location and setup of feed zones, and rules not being enforced. I'm sure the organisers have learned from the first running of the event.

37 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

With batches emailed I went and made a whole lot of popcorn so I can come read comments... now I have a whole lot of popcorn but no comments here yet 🤦‍♂️

I'm in the first batch. After my only seeding ride since this one last year was a 5:30 CTCT, I am not surprised

I look forward to a chatty, chilled 30kph group.......