Worth it to upgrade from my old base Spez Camber to new base Epic Evo?

Randolph

I have a 2016 base Camber. I upgraded it to SRAM GC drivetrain 1x12 and Shimano SLX brakes (from old Tektro). Also added a dropper. So pretty decent except for frame (aluminum) and suspension (recon). The new Evo has a carbon frame, slightly better suspension (RS Reba instead of Recon) but worse brakes (SRAM Level 2 pot). Do you think a new bike would be worth it? Doing about 3-4 hrs over weekends in Stb/Winelands region. 

The epic evo is a great bike.  

If you have the spare beer coupons to upgrade then do it. Move the slx 4 pot to the epic and if possible, slap a RS sid 120mm onto the front. If i recall the epic evo is standard with slx drive train which, to me, is an upgrade to the gx.

Get rid of the manic x-fusion dropper and replace with another brand that is easier and more cost effective to service - like a Lyne v2 (I've made t-shirts and busy editting the video... 🤬)

Now you have a proper ride that'll go and take you everywhere

Edited by 117
spelling - the chaps in the east will be happier now

The Epic Evo would be a great upgrade.

I had a 2016 Camber Comp and while I loved it, the geo was a little old fashioned. The Epic will not only be lighter and faster, but more capable due to it's slacker head tube angle.

Over time you can upgrade the parts you don't like.

I have a Epic evo comp (full slx drivetrain and  RS sid sleect). Its an amazing bike and very light already.

The first Base models (2021) had a blend of Slx and Deore parts with Deore Brakes so already a good platform to work from. 

I think since 2022 models its a Sram drivetrain? So on a Base model you then get those crappy brakes, Sram Sx/nx cassette (anvil) which limits you with future upgrades as well because of the freehub. But you can always change that. Just something to keep in mind

So I would look for a 2021 Base or Comp model if I were you.... and take the spare change and get a nice set of hoops or a RS Sid or Fox 34 Sc

It all depends on your usage 

I upgraded during the lockdown specials from a 2016 camber to a 2020 epic evo 

The evo is much better almost all around, but just not quite as sure-footed as the camber which is fine on the riding I intended to do at the time  Broadacres, Trans,  Sani,  Berg  etc.

Now having moved to the cape with gnarlier trails I long for the camber back.

1 hour ago, Milosh said:

It all depends on your usage 

I upgraded during the lockdown specials from a 2016 camber to a 2020 epic evo 

The evo is much better almost all around, but just not quite as sure-footed as the camber which is fine on the riding I intended to do at the time  Broadacres, Trans,  Sani,  Berg  etc.

Now having moved to the cape with gnarlier trails I long for the camber back.

What about a Trek Top Fuel instead?

Spez - The epic evo comp is the best all rounder you can get for our local conditions and the fact that every true red blooded south african wants to have a one-stop-shop-bike-for-all-occasions

Both OEM's will make your eyes water at service time if you take it to them, but to me the Specialized has less proprietary parts which allows you to change/service things yourself more so than a Trek. 

21 minutes ago, 117 said:

Specialized has less proprietary parts which allows you to change/service things yourself more so than a Trek. 

Can you please give an example? ?

I'll take a flyer on the bearings for the pivots, dropper and perhaps, the skewers, maybe the hubs too. 

Dont get me wrong, I think the Trek top fuel is a great bike. It has a specific place in the sun like every other. To me the Spez has more sun shining on it

There is nothing proprietary on the Top Fuel apart from the headset spacers and headset cover. The rest is all generic parts. From experience the Top Fuel is a very versatile bike. I've done everything from a stage race, to jump lines and an enduro on mine. 

46 minutes ago, Randolph said:

What about a Trek Top Fuel instead?

Could well have worked too,  but as a specialized owner, I was on a marking mailing list where they bought sales with huge discounts during the lockdown, was a keep what you have or buy the sale item decision.  

Nothing wrong with a Top Fuel. I'm assuming you are looking at the current Top fuel that was released about 2 years ago.. 

It depends on your needs. Its closer to a trail bike vs the evo. It is also heavier in similar spec than the evo. If you do more technical trails but its still in the xc realm, its a good option. If I had to go for one I'd want the 9.8 at least. The previous gen (2020 and 2021) was leaning more towards the xc side but also great bikes. I still love that colourway on the 9.8!

I wanted something lightweight and 2x bottle cages, so I went for the evo.