sensible upgrade

It's me man

hiya, i need some advice please - of the 2 bikes im looking at 1 has either of the options i prefer viz 

one has disk brakes but Ultegra mechanical groupset, the other has Dura Ace Di2 groupo but rim brakes, my question is which is better or cheaper to upgrade to - change to eps or change to disk wheelset.  both bikes  are top end and similar prices though one is 2 years older  - Thanks

11 minutes ago, It's me man said:

hiya, i need some advice please - of the 2 bikes im looking at 1 has either of the options i prefer viz 

one has disk brakes but Ultegra mechanical groupset, the other has Dura Ace Di2 groupo but rim brakes, my question is which is better or cheaper to upgrade to - change to eps or change to disk wheelset.  both bikes  are top end and similar prices though one is 2 years older  - Thanks

Would go for the bike with disc brakes, as it's a fair bit more costly to buy a groupset with hydraulic brakes that work well with disc brakes. Nothing wrong with Ultegra mechanical either.

You won't be able to upgrade a rim brake bike to disc brakes, unless the frame was built around supporting both standards (those are rare) Even if you could, you would then need new hubs for the wheels or a whole new wheelset, as well as a partial groupset (shifters, calipers, discs) to support disc brakes (mechanical disc calipers aren't great).

Edited by Mtree

As mentioned previously; check if the frame with mechanical Dura Ace DI2 can accommodate disk brakes (if it is a recent frame it should). If so I would go with that one as electronic shifting is just ****** naais

Rim brake and better groupset in my opinion. For me the deciding factor wouldnt be which brake system it has but rather which wheelsets they have. Wheels are a huge determining factor of how a bike feels and rides and often the most expensive upgrade done on any bike.

Just my 2c.

Dont discount either the 2 different frames you are comparing... not all frames are made equal.

I have reason to believe not all hub advisors above understood the question correctly...:ph34r:

am i correct to assume the disc brake bike has hydraulic Ultegra (R8020) brakes and cable shifting?

The Dura Ace bike has Di2 but is a rim brake bike?

Edited by Mongoose!

1 minute ago, Mongoose! said:

I have reason to believe not all hub advisors above understand the question correctly...:ph34r:

am i correct to assume the disc brake bike has hydraulic Ultegra (R8020) brakes and cable shifting?

The Dura Ace bike has Di2 but is a rim brake bike?

yes that is the correct interpretation

4 minutes ago, wattnow said:

Rim brake and better groupset in my opinion. For me the deciding factor wouldnt be which brake system it has but rather which wheelsets they have. Wheels are a huge determining factor of how a bike feels and rides and often the most expensive upgrade done on any bike.

Just my 2c.

Dont discount either the 2 different frames you are comparing... not all frames are made equal.

bora Ultra 35mm clinchers are rim braked and Aeolus comp5 are disk braked - both great wheelsets 

2 minutes ago, It's me man said:

bora Ultra 35mm clinchers are rim braked and Aeolus comp5 are disk braked - both great wheelsets 

Not overly knowelable on trek/bontager wheels but I believe these are aluminum wheels with a carbon fairing - around a 10K.

Bora Ultra 35mm is a top tier wheelset (yes a few years old now), used to retail at around 30-40K. Wouldnt put those wheels in the same league. Bora also has the Cult Ceramic Bearings. They used to be Campagnolos flagship wheel and very light.

1 hour ago, wattnow said:

Not overly knowelable on trek/bontager wheels but I believe these are aluminum wheels with a carbon fairing - around a 10K.

Bora Ultra 35mm is a top tier wheelset (yes a few years old now), used to retail at around 30-40K. Wouldnt put those wheels in the same league. Bora also has the Cult Ceramic Bearings. They used to be Campagnolos flagship wheel and very light.

100%, I was going to say the same things ^

I believe you're correct, the Bont Comps are aluminium rims with carbon fairings: Note the small gaps where the spokes enter the carbon "rims" (fairings) - leaves space for a bit of water to enter. I don't think it's a big issue though, as it has drainage holes.

BontragerAeolusComp5TLR_21803_A_Alt2.webp

Edited by Hilton.

On 8/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, dardo82 said:

Not all rim brake frames can accept disc brake calipers (Mounting holes)

Do any rim brake bikes accept disc brake calipers?

I have yet to hear of one (I could be mistaken though)