Titan Racing MTB

Grant Prince

I have been looking a while now at buying a Tinan Racing MTB with a budget of around R40k.

Like their geometry, reviews, taking 2 water bottles, value for money etc.

I mainly do cross country riding, wishing to do the Cullinan to Tonteldoos next year.

Do little technical sometimes but mostly just long distances, fast as possible, often over corrugated gravel roads.

Which one would you suggest I look at for buying.

Carbon frame will be preferred but alloy/aluminium also a strong option should this be recommended.

Will appreciate any advice very much.

Hey Grant,

Thanks for your interest in our bikes. With some super deals running at the moment, you should be able to pick up the Titan Racing Cypher Carbon Expert for that money.

https://titanracingbikes.com/bikes/cypher-carbon-expert/

You said carbon, but also take a look at the alu Titan Racing Cypher Ltd Edition. It comes with a DT Swiss fork and shock, GX Eagle drivetrain, a dropper post, and great finishing kit.

https://titanracingbikes.com/bikes/cypher-ltd-edition/

We will let other hubbers chip now. Happy shopping!

Edited by Titan Racing Bikes

Grant, the Titans look like very good value for money. Add to that the good support and great warranty, and I would seriously consider buying one when I am in the market for an new bike. 

Both of the bikes @Titan Racing Bikes suggested look like great options. I think it will come down to personal preference (SRAM vs Shimano, etc)

Enjoy your hunt for a new bike and please post some pics once you get it!

I really think the Titan is the best value at the moment. Apparently there support service is out of this world (cos they are based here).

The bike is modern geometry etc... - if I was buying today it would be a Titan cypher for sure:

If you could stretch - this is the deal of the year

https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/titanracing-cypher-rs-carbon-ltd-edition-1x12-29-flip-chip-carbon-frame-mountain-bike-dual-suspension-2023/

DT Swiss wheels and suspension!!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't offer a long term review but recently bought the cypher carbon pro and happy overall. Agree with all of the points above - value for money etc etc and ride is comfortable and responsive. 
I did break a spoke on a tame trail ride on it, not doing anything adventurous at all, which perplexed me and my LBS...hoping this was a freak incident and doesnt happen again. But the peace of mind with the frame warranty and on the reynolds rims (model dependent) is a big plus. If all holds up from here then I would see myself riding the bike for a good few years to come!

I bought a Cypher Carbon LTD 100 a week ago and have done 2 rides now. So gar I'm really happy with bike for the reasons listed above. I'm surprised by how well the DT Swiss shock and fork work - a delight to ride! I've only ridden Fox and Rockshox and in my opinion the DT Swiss is superior. Very happy with my purchase so far 😀

So I have a Cypher RS Carbon Pro. I bought it May last year. SO far so good, loved the bike and it has not let me down. I have done a few 100mile rides and cullinan to tonteldoos comfortably on it without issuue. I have also done a few adventure races on it where it has been boxed, hike a biked and generally abused and it has not missed a beat. So far it has been general wear and tear mostly, I broke 1 spoke which I think got damaged when I was hit by a motobike at C2T. That is my mid term review. Confidently taking it to ARWC next month.

I have heard of a few stories of broken spokes, on this thread and 2 other mates which have a Titan. But then again, I know others who do not ride Titan that have also had problems with broken spokes...it may be more of a general challenge with carbon rims on a MTB since they have more flex. I can't say for sure since the Reynolds rims on the Carbon Pro are the first carbon rims I have used on a MTB, so my only reference point is aluminum rims on a 2018 Spark. So I wouldnt really label this a Titan issue but probably the "cost" of carbon rims?

2 hours ago, Mattman said:

I have heard of a few stories of broken spokes, on this thread and 2 other mates which have a Titan. But then again, I know others who do not ride Titan that have also had problems with broken spokes...it may be more of a general challenge with carbon rims on a MTB since they have more flex. I can't say for sure since the Reynolds rims on the Carbon Pro are the first carbon rims I have used on a MTB, so my only reference point is aluminum rims on a 2018 Spark. So I wouldnt really label this a Titan issue but probably the "cost" of carbon rims?

From my understanding, spoke tension and rider weight have a much bigger influence on potential spoke breakage than the wheel brand. Insufficient tension for a rider's weight would put more strain on the spokes.

If you weigh close to 100 Kg + it is possible that you might need a Wheel Upgrade depending on the Wheels Fitted to your bike.

Merida and Trek MTB Wheels  in XC and Above Bikes can carry Riders of +- 120Kg + 15Kg  for the Bike = 135 Kg Total  (Including Kit) Rider Must Weigh Himself Fully Kitted with His Cooldrink Bottle Full.