2024 Cape Epic Route Announced

News bot

12 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

What’s the prologue got to do with a return to the Knysna start?

we had one in 2008

…maybe he is referencing that there was no prologue in ‘05/‘06’07? Dunno…

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Zebra said:

…maybe he is referencing that there was no prologue in ‘05/‘06’07? Dunno…

Well I don’t know he means because 2008 was 9days including a prologue at Pezula estate and then the 8 days back to Lourensford. So a journey route doesn’t exclude a prologue. Yoh either lengthen the stages or add an extra day.

the big issue is race villages need to be set up. Tents are relatively cheap but I can’t see the current hoity toity crowds sleeping in tents no matter what. The whole circus would need to be containerised. I guess it comes down to a matter of money and will power to think innovatively or rather just milk the formula to death do the paying customer part 

On 9/18/2023 at 7:40 AM, DieselnDust said:

What’s the prologue got to do with a return to the Knysna start?

we had one in 2008

Just spitballing how they could a cloverleaf style route with a CX2CA start/finish.

The race still sells out so I don't see it happening.

53 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Just spitballing how they could a cloverleaf style route with a CX2CA start/finish.

The race still sells out so I don't see it happening.

But a prologue can still be included. Your spitball + prologue is how I saw this 20th edition playing out but sadly it’s not happening 

I rode in 2019 and the Covid year 2020 editions . There will be 80% singletract except for the vineyard Stellenbosch loop .In 2020 the first five days were all new and old singletract .It makes it really difficult and slow going as you seldom have momentum .The vineyard riding is very steep .Strong legs and small gears all the way .I never worked out the cost ,but it was still worth it .I would do it again ,health permitting 

Edited by eala
WRONG DATES

5 minutes ago, eala said:

I rode in 2019 and the Covid year 2020 editions . There will be 80% singletract except for the vineyard Stellenbosch loop .In 2020 the first five days were all new and old singletract .It makes it really difficult and slow going as you seldom have momentum .The vineyard riding is very steep .Strong legs and small gears all the way .I never worked out the cost ,but it was still worth it .I would do it again ,health permitting 

2020? You mean October 2021 edition?

2 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

2020 was the toughest ever, highest dropout rate on record!

2019 was so tough it took participants till October 2021 to recover 

On 9/15/2023 at 10:01 AM, Jewbacca said:

Or make it the SA Epic and do it all over the place!

I know it is relationships, contracts, land owner agreements, finish venues etc that keep it here, but as the comments show, it has definitely lost some of it's appeal and if not now, will likely need to reassess at some point.

The international entries definitely keep things ticking over for now

There are ample old and new routes in all those areas .Every berg in a two hour radius from cape town has a trail section on multiple sides .The organizers can put out a 20 day race and not ride the same routes .There is no other event like it currently and even at the price it still attracts full fields .Personally i think it will only get more popular .If they slash the price they can have two events and fill all entries  

9 hours ago, eala said:

Yes by the time I am finished coughing up a lung from that price tag it has already come and gone.