Mounting bikes on a trailer

LeonvT

Hi Everyone one,

Camping holidays used to be a breeze when it was me, the wife and the two dogs. Everything used to fit n the back of the car and two bikes on a towbar mounted rack.

Then child one came and we upgraded to a little venter trailer. then child 2. things still worked out with the trailer and the bike rack while they were small.

now things changed as I have 4 bikes that needs to come with. (one still small). 

on my last trip (the first one with 3 bikes on the rack, one in the trailer) I found that the trailer pushes against the bike wheel when I have all 3 on the back.

We have also now upgraded to a bigger, offroad trailer with a nose cone so we will have even less space between bikes and trailer

I need some advice now. What is the best option to travel with bikes and a trailer?

IS it advisable to load bikes on a roof rack on the trailer? worried that the trailer might be too bouncy and damage bikes.

is it better to load the bikes on the car roof? 

I have seen option to mount towbars on the back of trailers and then adding the bike rack. is this a viable option

Thanks everyone!

image.jpeg.b00b20e65e9065fc73588e26f555ffc6.jpeg

Maybe  Thule roofrack for the car ?

One setup, and you are always ready to load the bikes.

Best in terms of fine dust on the drive train

Should be less bouncy than on the trailer.

And no need to keep changing as their bikes get bigger.

PS - with the wingbar setup you only change the footpack when you move to the next car.

Agree with Chris re roof racks but for a very important reason: putting weight on the back of the trailer is going to reduce the weight on the tow hitch which can have disastrous consequences (As a child, our family rolled a caravan and this was one of the major contributing factors). Weight should be primarily over the axle.

We travel  with 4 bikes and an off-road trailer. 3 bikes go in the bakkie and 1 on a rack on the towhitch of the bakkie as there is enough clearance to turn. Shorter holidays we leave the bikes or take one and we share it.

Edited by Rapunzel

I had the same problem… the issue is often what to do with the front wheel if you take it off and lateral stability when going off road…

I take the front wheels off and mount the fork in a Holdfast fork holder https://solomonscycles.co.za/products/holdfast-all-in-one-upright-bicycle-holder/?utm_source=Google Shopping&utm_campaign=Google Merch &utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=66402 . These can also easily be home made.

Then I made these holders for the front wheel. They go next to the back wheel so that you can strap both wheels (and thus frame/fork) together for lateral stability…

642c7c8f-5e1f-4d6d-8c9e-8f28185d7b3d.jpeg.68875a3026df1eace40ee058339884a1.jpegc2cc3e9a-9b7d-4b00-ba0c-e95f96dd0f6a.jpeg.ad175c0e7481cdd7d54c42f5ddb9bf42.jpeg

I put my bikes on the trailer. 
My luggage trailer has two holdfast roof rack bike racks on it (for four bikes,) and the camping trailer has their own proprietor rack on it. The grown up bikes go there, and the kids bikes are strapped down in a vertical positions (like motorbikes.)
It’s important that you strap the bikes down properly to prevent side to side swaying. 
Rapunzel is right, load the trailer correctly to ensure there is 75-120kg on the tow hitch (depending on trailer weight.) Pack heavy items in front, light at the back. You’ll find your groove. 

Here’s a pic of the camper with the kids bikes to give an idea. 

56E63625-8EE0-4FB4-9686-3A55659C9DAD.jpeg

19 hours ago, LeonvT said:

Hi Everyone one,

Camping holidays used to be a breeze when it was me, the wife and the two dogs. Everything used to fit n the back of the car and two bikes on a towbar mounted rack.

Then child one came and we upgraded to a little venter trailer. then child 2. things still worked out with the trailer and the bike rack while they were small.

now things changed as I have 4 bikes that needs to come with. (one still small). 

on my last trip (the first one with 3 bikes on the rack, one in the trailer) I found that the trailer pushes against the bike wheel when I have all 3 on the back.

We have also now upgraded to a bigger, offroad trailer with a nose cone so we will have even less space between bikes and trailer

I need some advice now. What is the best option to travel with bikes and a trailer?

IS it advisable to load bikes on a roof rack on the trailer? worried that the trailer might be too bouncy and damage bikes.

is it better to load the bikes on the car roof? 

I have seen option to mount towbars on the back of trailers and then adding the bike rack. is this a viable option

Thanks everyone!

image.jpeg.b00b20e65e9065fc73588e26f555ffc6.jpeg

Two of these in a 2-bike config will mount on that roof rack. 
https://holdfast.co.za/product/top-runner-pro

or you can get the nice Thule racks if budget allows. And if you don’t like bikes on the trailer, move the roof racks to your vehicle.

You didn’t mention what you are towing with, but if it’s a bakkie or SUV, you’ll likely be the only one in the family who can load bikes. whereas my wife can load her bikes on my trailers.

if the trailer is bouncing, your tyres are too hard, bring the pressure down. Those are 14inch tyres, they can go down to 1.4bar when needed. (I do on mine , but depends on trailer weight.) 

And don’t pretend to be Sarel Van der Merwe on a gravel road with a trailer.