Gels vs Bars

love2fly

What do you find provides better energy for longer rides, gels or energy bars?

I drink a well known sports drink and have generally always taken a Biogen or PVM bar for longer rides,but I'm starting to consider trying gels, what do you guys think? Other than the guts who don't eat or eat potatoes 😎

I use both, Bars at the start of my ride with gels as an emergency back up or for the final 15/20km of a race or event.

I know of some lunatics that ride on a high carb juice mix and a banana

It all boils down to personal preference. 

Ive heard some horror stories of people sh*ting their chamois while only eating gels 

try them and see?

As a matter of interest, what is a 'longer ride'?

I am  not a racer but I use 'gels' when I run a road marathon or do a bike race when I know I will be moving the entire time and don't have the brain function to chew without choking or inhibiting my breathing too much.

I certainly don't carry 'gels' on training rides or runs.

Anything between 3 and 9 hours done at a consistent intensity. Anything longer than that I will have 0ne or 2 in reserve and make sure I eat proper food. This allows me to both eat proper food which is better on the gut and forces me to lower my intensity for a while in order to eat. If thats stopping or going slower, which is generally a good idea on something 10 to 120 hours long

33 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

try them and see?

As a matter of interest, what is a 'longer ride'?

I am  not a racer but I use 'gels' when I run a road marathon or do a bike race when I know I will be moving the entire time and don't have the brain function to chew without choking or inhibiting my breathing too much.

I certainly don't carry 'gels' on training rides or runs.

Anything between 3 and 9 hours done at a consistent intensity. Anything longer than that I will have 0ne or 2 in reserve and make sure I eat proper food. This allows me to both eat proper food which is better on the gut and forces me to lower my intensity for a while in order to eat. If thats stopping or going slower, which is generally a good idea on something 10 to 120 hours long

Howre the shoes?

What sort of proper food will you eat on those10-  120 hour rides?

Better energy. Main concern being that gels used to spike you but then put you down, vs maybe bars being something more substantial for your stomach ...

Longer rides: 2 hours to 6 hours

2 hours ago, guidodg said:

Tailwind nutrition, forget gels and bars..

Heard good things about Tailwind. Think I should give it a try. 

My best nutrition on rides the last few years has been a chocolate or almond croissant. Nice and cultured, gives you the carbs you need, and tastes great during that top-of-the-mountain stop.

I use PVM bars on training rides where I can stop / slow down to eat them. However, I use GU gels when doing events / races (<4hrs) as you can consume these quickly, on the go without stopping or having to chew excessively (especially if your a bit winded from pushing hard...).  

find the one that your stomach handles best as each person can have very different needs. It took me a while to figure out on how to push my stomach and I settled on a Sugar and Game bottle mix that I know other people cannot drink.

so i use a combination of both. depending on the length of the ride I sometime also take both with me.

I find if its hot, or I've had higher excursion , then I cant eat a bar, gets stuck in my throat, thats when I use the gel.

Although I found on saturdays ride where temps peaked in the 40s, sipping on a gel that been in my back pocket for 6 hours was like sipping on piping hot tea, it was not pleasent.

But like others have said, try them both, in multiple different scenarios, use what works for you.

59 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

so i use a combination of both. depending on the length of the ride I sometime also take both with me.

I find if its hot, or I've had higher excursion , then I cant eat a bar, gets stuck in my throat, thats when I use the gel.

Although I found on saturdays ride where temps peaked in the 40s, sipping on a gel that been in my back pocket for 6 hours was like sipping on piping hot tea, it was not pleasent.

But like others have said, try them both, in multiple different scenarios, use what works for you.

Finding the right gel consistency is important as well. I find GU in winter is too thick in terms of consistency. But in summer it’s better because the heat makes it softer. For this reason I try and use gels with a more liquid consistency. Just makes getting it down easier. 

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Finding the right gel consistency is important as well. I find GU in winter is too thick in terms of consistency. But in summer it’s better because the heat makes it softer. For this reason I try and use gels with a more liquid consistency. Just makes getting it down easier. 

I’ve found the biogen gels to be nice and thin