Zipp Introduce 1ZERO HITOP SW MTB Wheelset

News bot

Today Zipp launch their 1ZERO HITOP MTB Wheelsets. They feature a proprietary carbon layup to provide compliance and confidence when the trail gets rough, low weight for effortless accelerations and climbing, while a winged rim top provides a smooth resting surface for the tire, reducing the chance of pinch flats after a rock hit. See the full press release, and find out about local availability below: 1ZERO HITOP SW Riding is believing with the Zipp 1ZERO HITOP SW MTB wheelset when it comes to making you faster. Trail compliance is vital, with modern cross-country races becoming rougher and more challenging. […]

View full article

I love seeing big brands try something new and sensible at the same time.
The outer wall design of the Zipp 1Zero Hitop rims will certainly reduce pinch-flats and damaged tyres.

Their prices on the Zipp website are $1350 for the Hitop S wheelset (1495g) and $1950 for the SW (1325g).

Roughly translated to ZAR 27 000 and ZAR39 000 respectively. (Local SA price may or may not be the same, who knows?)

What I find very interesting is that Chinese rim maker, Nextie, has had these similar shape rims available for about a year already, and look to be very similar indeed.

For comparison, using the Nextie Vista Omega rims, Pillar PSR Xtra1420 bladed spokes and brass nipples, and DT Swiss 350 straightpull hubs, one could build a 1325g wheelset for around R10k less than buying a set of Zipps.

I've used these rims with i9 1/1 hubs and the set came to 1420g and cost the customer R27k. (same as the Zipp Hitop S option, but with arguably better hubs)

In conclusion, nice to see sensible innovation in the carbon rim market.

Untitled design - 2023-10-05T070445.464.png

DSC_1509.jpg

Means absolutely nothing to the average MTB rider who's MTB doesn't even cost that much 😲 Niche market products sadly, look and work great but admired from a distance 😊

3 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Means absolutely nothing to the average MTB rider who's MTB doesn't even cost that much 😲 Niche market products sadly, look and work great but admired from a distance 😊

There are thousands of riders who have R50-100k bikes these days.
What is the average price of bikes at any of the big multi-day stage races? Well over R50k...
(these events cost R10k+ easy, just to enter)

These R20-40k carbon wheelsets are becoming very common, even if you or I can't justify the cost.

It's like any hobby - people pay big money to enjoy it to the fullest.
A set of golf clubs can easily cost R20-40k.
Don't even ask about the cost of camera lenses for people who like wildlife photography.

My point is that there's a huge market for wheels like these :)

I'm not sure I agree with you Nick, I think the guys that pitch up at multi-day stage races make up a small percentage of the "average" mountain bikers in the country. Most are just content to rip up their local trails and leave the racing to the racing snakes. It would be an interesting statistic to measure though.

14 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I'm not sure I agree with you Nick, I think the guys that pitch up at multi-day stage races make up a small percentage of the "average" mountain bikers in the country. Most are just content to rip up their local trails and leave the racing to the racing snakes. It would be an interesting statistic to measure though.

I agree we're the majority.

Those of us on R20-40k bikes who have no inclination to spend the same on a set of wheels :)

That said, it's sure interesting seeing how many guys are out and about on R150k+ e-bikes and S-Works superbikes.

I sell more R20k+ wheelsets than R10k ones - I guess the economy is driving how we spend....

Yo, but there were al lot of industry buzzwords and marketing spiel in that article.

If I had the money I would by myself a custom built wheelset. Something like Nick suggested or from a Cape Town company.

But then again, lighter, more expensive wheels don't make you a better cyclist. 

7 minutes ago, pietas said:

But then again, lighter, more expensive wheels don't make you a better cyclist. 

Yeah, not better, just faster...🤭

16 hours ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Maybe this can shed some light on the topic. Based on the ThreadMtb 2022 survey, the average bike price in South Africa, or the amount people choose to spend on their bikes, is R65 450. The dominating price segments are R15 000-R19 999 (6.02%) and R150 000 or more (6.94%).

Source: https://www.treadmtb.co.za/south-africas-top-mtb-gravel-ebike-brands/

1 hour ago, Dappere said:

Maybe this can shed some light on the topic. Based on the ThreadMtb 2022 survey, the average bike price in South Africa, or the amount people choose to spend on their bikes, is R65 450. The dominating price segments are R15 000-R19 999 (6.02%) and R150 000 or more (6.94%).

Source: https://www.treadmtb.co.za/south-africas-top-mtb-gravel-ebike-brands/

they missed the following question :

"Did you finance your bike"?  :ph34r:

36 minutes ago, Mongoose! said:

they missed the following question :

"Did you finance your bike"?  :ph34r:

What does that have to do with it

I'd selfishly love to see a similar survey done on wheels.

- Do you ride alloy or carbon wheels?

- Have you upgraded or replaced the wheels that came on your bike?

- If so, what brands of rims and hubs did you choose?

- What did you pay?

The results would be fascinating, I'm sure.