Jamming XT SPD pedal

Rapunzel

Hoping somebody can offer any suggestions: I'm battling to cleat in and uncleat from my left XT SPD pedal. The problem is intermittent (not the spring setting as that is on fairly loose) and it still happens after replacing the cleats. It is definitely not catching on the shoe as have tried another pair of shoes with spd cleats and the same problem occurs. Hubby can always cleat in and out but he has a good 30kg on me and a far larger shoe and therefore leverage to uncleat.

Is it possible that the spring is somehow jamming? It happens about every 3rd or 4th time I try to cleat in our out.

Maybe your left side is a litte weaker than your right or is twisting at an angle that is not releasing correctly.  If you use SH51 then it is side twist maybe try a SH56 cleat it will release easier. 

If you are in Gauteng Centurion area i have a new set of SH56 cleats you can have and test.

Edited by Barry

Also make sure that the plate which goes under the screws is mounted the right way around.  It is counter sunk, so if its in upside down then the screw heads stick out slightly and create problems.  I've seen people not able to get in and out properly because of this easy installation error.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Took the pedal off and gave the springs a generous dose of WD40 (all I could find) and scrubbed with toothbrush and flushed again with WD40 and it's muuuuuch better. Hoping it will stay that way. 

25 minutes ago, Brakepad said:

you can try some silicone spray on the pedal to reduce friction

18 minutes ago, Barry said:

Maybe your left side is a litte weaker than your right or is twisting at an angle that is not releasing correctly.  If you use SH51 then it is side twist maybe try a SH56 cleat it will release easier. 

29 minutes ago, Rapunzel said:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. Took the pedal off and gave the springs a generous dose of WD40 (all I could find) and scrubbed with toothbrush and flushed again with WD40 and it's muuuuuch better. Hoping it will stay that way. 

I trust you put hubby's toothbrush back in the bathroom after you were done 😳