Convert vintage rim into a single speed

Sampaj

Hi Guys. 
I have a vintage rim with a 8/9 speed cluster I’d like to convert into a single speed gear.

so may need a tensioner and a chain too. I have a bb and crank. 
anyone know a mechanic in Jhb that can help? 

thank you!!!

Edited by Sampaj

What do the dropouts look like? You might not need a tensioner unless it’s vertical.i might be wrong but those look like they might be horizontal. If so you are in luck.

Also, if its a shimano HG freebody, all you need is a cog and spacers. You can use any chain. Get like a 8/9/10 speed chain. They are relatively cheap. 

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-singleminded-cog-and-spacers-kit-2/

IMG_9533.jpeg

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

What do the dropouts look like? You might not need a tensioner unless it’s vertical.i might be wrong but those look like they might be horizontal. If so you are in luck.

Also, if its a shimano HG freebody, all you need is a cog and spacers. You can use any chain. Get like a 8/9/10 speed chain. They are relatively cheap. 

IMG_9533.jpeg

Even with a vertical dropout it is sometimes possible to get by without a tensioner. You can experiment with different size cogs and chainrings and if you are lucky you will find one that uses the exact right chain length and a gear ratio you can live with.

The Look with Spinergy wheels and track bars make for a very good looking bike. Aesthetically I think a chain tensioner will detract from it.The whole point is elegant simplicity.

And if you haven't done so yet, Google the Dutch abstract artist Piet Mondrian to see where Look got their trademark graphics from. Beautiful.

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

IMG_9533.jpeg

Thanks morne!

17 minutes ago, DJR said:

Even with a vertical dropout it is sometimes possible to get by without a tensioner. You can experiment with different size cogs and chainrings and if you are lucky you will find one that uses the exact right chain length and a gear ratio you can live with.

The Look with Spinergy wheels and track bars make for a very good looking bike. Aesthetically I think a chain tensioner will detract from it.The whole point is elegant simplicity.

And if you haven't done so yet, Google the Dutch abstract artist Piet Mondrian to see where Look got their trademark graphics from. Beautiful.

Thanks I’ve never heard of him but will definitely do so!!!

3 hours ago, DJR said:

Ive not had much luck with finding the ‘magic gears’😝 agree that a tensioner will look wrong on that bike.

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Ive not had much luck with finding the ‘magic gears’😝 agree that a tensioner will look wrong on that bike.

I have a specific dislike of tensioners .... They always look zeff to me 😎

Having said that I have sometimes spent days, literally, to find a specific 'magic gear' with the correct ratio for the application be it road or MTB ... And even then if it's ridden a lot it'll eat chains

But if the aesthetics of the bike is important it is well worth it ☺️

No personal experience with it, but this looks like a good option to avoid the tensioner:

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-eccentrick-bb/

As far as the gearing goes, if it is a screw on cluster on your vintage hub, then the spacer kits and gears are not going to work.  You may find that a BMX screw on gear will work, I'm not sure about spacing though, the critical thing with SS conversions is getting the chain line and tension right.

Another possibility is to get a half-link chain. It works just like a regular chain, but can be lengthened or shortened by half a link in stead of a whole link, meaning you are more likely to get just the right length. Sometimes used by BMXers. 

4 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

No personal experience with it, but this looks like a good option to avoid the tensioner:

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-eccentrick-bb/

As far as the gearing goes, if it is a screw on cluster on your vintage hub, then the spacer kits and gears are not going to work.  You may find that a BMX screw on gear will work, I'm not sure about spacing though, the critical thing with SS conversions is getting the chain line and tension right.

If I had the bucks I'd certainly get one, or 2 of those👍

Would make my life easier, as you say chainline also crucial!

1 minute ago, DJR said:

Another possibility is to get a half-link chain. It works just like a regular chain, but can be lengthened or shortened by half a link in stead of a whole link, meaning you are more likely to get just the right length. Sometimes used by BMXers. 

Good thinking Batman! They also pretty strong 💪