What wheel-set would be worth it?

Bichael Dewing

27 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

There are some really good carbon wheels in the classified for under 10k?

Realistically, the new wheels won't suddenly make you a better rider, but they will do some or all of the following;

Carbon wheels will feel better, more direct and more responsive

Carbon wheels sound better when they whoosh and zing and tang

They will definitely be  more aero

They will definitely look rad

These things or a combination of these things, plus having spent money, may or may not make you feel like a rockstar and motivate you to ride more so you can feel, hear and appreciate the new wheels more, which is the ultimate win

If you have the cash, rad. If you don't and you're stretching, don't

Would you mind linking me with some good options.? I could maybe consider..  In pm or just on here..

Just for interest sake so I can get an idea.. I don’t know if I’ll upgrade just yet..

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Michael Dewing said:

Would you mind linking me with some good options.? I could maybe consider..  In pm or just on here..

Just for interest sake so I can get an idea.. I don’t know if I’ll upgrade just yet..

Just use the filter?

Road bike wheels, brake type disc - then filter the price to 0 to  10000zar

There is a really good set of Giant carbon wheels. I'd buy those.

You WILL need to know the axle types and widths of your wheels though as I see above you say you don't know.

You can't buy or even look at wheels unless you know what hub widths and axle types you have

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

Just use the filter?

Road bike wheels, brake type disc - then filter the price to 0 to  10000zar

There is a really good set of Giant carbon wheels. I'd buy those.

You WILL need to know the axle types and widths of your wheels though as I see above you say you don't know.

You can't buy or even look at wheels unless you know what hub widths and axle types you have

Okay cool cool, got you.!!

I haven’t looked at much as I don’t know what I’m looking at or what to look for.. at this point I would totally buy a set only to find out they won’t work on my bike..😰🤣🤣

so thank you.. I think I’ll consult the wheel builder or my local bike shop if I am going to upgrade.!

thank you mate..😉🤘🏻

1 minute ago, Michael Dewing said:

Okay cool cool, got you.!!

I haven’t looked at much as I don’t know what I’m looking at or what to look for.. at this point I would totally buy a set only to find out they won’t work on my bike..😰🤣🤣

so thank you.. I think I’ll consult the wheel builder or my local bike shop if I am going to upgrade.!

thank you mate..😉🤘🏻

It's an easy figure.

If the wheels drop out of open slots with the axlw still in the hub, you have QR wheels, usually front 100x9mm, rear 135x10mm.

If you unscrew an axle and have to remove the whole axle in order for the wheel to drop out of round holes then you have 12mm axles, rear 142x12 and front 100x12

It's that easy

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's an easy figure.

If the wheels drop out of open slots with the axlw still in the hub, you have QR wheels, usually front 100x9mm, rear 135x10mm.

If you unscrew an axle and have to remove the whole axle in order for the wheel to drop out of round holes then you have 12mm axles, rear 142x12 and front 100x12

It's that easy

Oh shot.. yeah they are QD wheels front and back.. 

Will do some wheel research tonight.. just try educate myself a bit more on them..

🤘🏻

41 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

why don't you just stand up for yourself and bollock some alloy wheels into carbon? 

Hahaha brilliant..🤣🤣

When you see a set of wheels, post the link here and ask your questions.

Lots of Hubbers that know their wheels, and that can guide you :thumbup:

One small thing to add to your list of questions - Shimano or SRAM freebody ?  I know know many mix-and-match, others advise against it .... 

8 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

One small thing to add to your list of questions - Shimano or SRAM freebody ?  I know know many mix-and-match, others advise against it .... 

I think he said 10 speed?

If I remember correctly, 10 speed uses a regular splined freehub.

If the wheels are QR, you will need to make sure the wheels you buy have interchangeable end caps.

Very seldom are carbon disc wheels sold as QR these days

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

will do mate, thank you..

shimano 105 2x11.. 

🤘🏻

50 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I think he said 10 speed?

If I remember correctly, 10 speed uses a regular splined freehub.

If the wheels are QR, you will need to make sure the wheels you buy have interchangeable end caps.

Very seldom are carbon disc wheels sold as QR these days

No it’s a speedster 10🤷🏼‍♂️.. it’s a shimano 105 2x11 groupset..

1 hour ago, Michael Dewing said:

No it’s a speedster 10🤷🏼‍♂️.. it’s a shimano 105 2x11 groupset..

Ah ok, my mistake.

Do me a favour and post a picture of your wheels when off the bike? Notably the hubs.

If the smallest cog is an 11 speed, you likely have a standard shimano/splined freehub body

55 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Ah ok, my mistake.

Do me a favour and post a picture of your wheels when off the bike? Notably the hubs.

If the smallest cog is an 11 speed, you likely have a standard shimano/splined freehub body

Okay cool.. I’ll do that just now.. I believe it’s a shimano 11/32 cassette on there.. 

but I’ll send a picture a bit later..