[Event] Tour de PPA

Pedal Power Association

4 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

Yeah, I'd love to know what this does to @DieselnDust's theory that "sub 15 index pretty much guarantees a racing group" (I paraphrase, but it's largely accurate)

Gonna be a lot of those from today (many from C group...)

its going to be very interesting.

I'll get bumped down to 1A while "&" will be filled with C riders so its going to be interesting.... very interesting

Edited by DieselnDust

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I'll get bumped down to 1A while "&" will be filled with C riders so its going to be interesting.... very interesting

Maybe enough in 1A to jump forward ?

9 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I would be very very surprised if people get bumped down in CTCT seedings? Did the organiser say something to that effect? Have never heard of that happening.

30 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Bumped down?

Never heard of that ever happening. 

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Curiosity sake ...

What was the wind like for the early bunches along Adderley ?

It was brutal by 11:00

Wind was there for the A bunch front runners, but if it was anything like the 99'er, it potentially picked up significantly as the day progressed.

35 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I hope not! I'm seeded in & (for now) but hope my seeding for 99'er bums me into $ again. 

Had a similar sithation last year - initially seeded in & and the next week seeded in $.

1 hour ago, Tiny K said:

My 'rant' about a few things:

1. Why were the A bunch neutralised until Wellington road, but B group (from what I'm told) went bat **** crazy through Durbanville from the start - that already creates an unfair advantage when looking at finishing times.

2. When looking at seeding, with regards to the above, naturally the B bunch also containing the racing ladies (and bunches further down) has an advantage on time - why isn't that factored in? Granted, today was a mess in A - narrowly missed the first crash (it happened a bike length ahead and just to the left of me) and was far ahead enough to miss the 2nd one [heal up soon injured riders]. Then spent most of the day safely in the break, only to be caught with less than 1km to go.

In the organisers defence, you wouldn't expect B to make up 5 minutes on A in the 1st few kilometers of the race. Normally A/Elites would be at least 15 minutes faster over 100km so the neutral zone should not make a difference time wise (my snarky comment for the day - given how many bunch crashes happened in A it was a good thing you guys were neutralised through Vierlanden...)

But I get your point, probably the 1st 3 or 4 bunches need to be neutralised. I think today B would likely have caught A even if you didn't crash, we were only a few 100 meters behind you when the 1st crash happened at the fruitsellers.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Curiosity sake ...

What was the wind like for the early bunches along Adderley ?

It was brutal by 11:00

I think conditions were pleasant today. There was definitely some wind but now where near the same as 99er. I don’t agree with how they seeded it though. It definitely was not as easy as what that coefficient says it was. The racing was full gas as well compared to 99er which I felt was more rustig. 

8 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I think conditions were pleasant today. There was definitely some wind but now where near the same as 99er. I don’t agree with how they seeded it though. It definitely was not as easy as what that coefficient says it was. The racing was full gas as well compared to 99er which I felt was more rustig. 

Hey, if they’d made the beta any higher, you and I would have had indexes under 10 😂

32 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

Bumped down?

Never heard of that ever happening. 

I’m not seeded yet. Corporate entry which has not been completed yet.

if you seeded you’re seeded. But there will be people requesting reseeding which might fill those racing groups.

maybe they lock seeding and don’t allow reseeding. 

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

In the organisers defence, you wouldn't expect B to make up 5 minutes on A in the 1st few kilometers of the race. Normally A/Elites would be at least 15 minutes faster over 100km so the neutral zone should not make a difference time wise (my snarky comment for the day - given how many bunch crashes happened in A it was a good thing you guys were neutralised through Vierlanden...)

But I get your point, probably the 1st 3 or 4 bunches need to be neutralised. I think today B would likely have caught A even if you didn't crash, we were only a few 100 meters behind you when the 1st crash happened at the fruitsellers.

HAHA! Snarky comment taken on the chin. A bunch was being kept between 20 and 25km/h through Durbanville.

Chatting to a B bunch rider afterwards, he said it was crazy speed through Durbanville. Image attached shows how much faster - for comparison, the front of A just turned into Wellington Road and the B bunch were taking the previous corner.

B batch start.png

Just now, Tiny K said:

HAHA! Snarky comment taken on the chin. A bunch was being kept between 20 and 25km/h through Durbanville.

Chatting to a B bunch rider afterwards, he said it was crazy speed through Durbanville. Image attached shows how much faster - for comparison, the front of A just turned into Wellington Road and the B bunch were taking the previous corner.

B batch start.png

C did the crit segment at 42.2km/h

11 hours ago, Tiny K said:

B batch start.png

My lapped neutral zone. Nice meet and greet for the peloton 🥱

IMG_20240226_085057.jpg

12 hours ago, Skubarra said:

Well, the tandems that started 3min after A-group caught us in 2min30s, so wrap your head around that math... /s

We can do high speed corners single file, we can't dodge motorbikes pulling up stumps at 60kph...

2 minutes ago, babse said:

My lapped neutral zone. Nice meet and greet for the peloton 🥱

IMG_20240226_085057.jpg

when you could've been smashing 6w/kg efforts up kloof and suikerbossie with me instead..

At the end of the Neutral zone, B group was 30s behind us according to GPS data.

1. Why did B not have a car enforced Neutral, it's the elite ladies group.
  2. Why is there not a bigger gap in front of whatever bunch is considered to be the first funride bunch and the last bunch to have a true neutral start?
  3. Why did the Comms and riders of B group think it appropriate to speed past 15 stationary cars and motorobikes and 107 stopped A groupers at the fruit sellers 4-way.
  4. Why did A-group have 107 starters when realistically only 50 max are there to race? In 2020 A-group had 58 starters, historically as low as 33. Has PPA lost their own playbook wrt keeping racing safe on open roads post Covid?
  5. Why was B-group allowed to restart 40s behind A-group after their eventual stoppage?
  6. Why do I feel like selling my road bike after so many road races these days? 😢