Giant reign (M), work for 1,79m lengthed person.

Carel82T

Hi Guys, I need help and want to verify if I will be too big for the bike I am wanting to buy. I am 1.795m in length. I used to have a Giant Trance 2 size large 27.5" and I enjoyed that bike. I like enduro-type riding and want to get back into the game. I currently have a Yeti 575 2007 model hanging in my garage, which I don't ride because it feels too small for me; it might just be the geometry of the Yeti that's not working for me. The Giant Reign is also 27.5" but I don’t have the year model yet, though I was told it's about 3 years old, maybe older. I love the bike but am worried it might not feel comfortable when going downhill, like the Yeti. Please, any help or experience would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Giant Reign.jpg

At 1,76 I ride a 2019 Trance 2 in Medium.

On the odd occation it feels "short".

But the Large was just too big for me.

On the Scott the Large was a perfect fit

On paper it should fit you.  In real life a test ride may be a very good idea.

I would say pass it 

1.80 personally and the last medium i rode was a previous gen Trek slash that was positively too small.

Very comfy on a Large so i don't think modern geo can be used to justify the medium.

1st prize is of course riding it and deciding yourself 

Thanks @BaGearA appreciate your feedback! Agree first prize is testing it, but starting to remember why I bought that trance in a Large. Large felt better.

I think there's a small degree of preference connected

I have a friend that's around 3/4cm shorter than me , side by side we look very similar.

He rides exclusively medium , and even tells people its too small for him but he rode Bmx for years when he was young and says he thinks that's why he prefers the short feel.

I like high speed enduroy type stuff and the larger bike fits that very nicely for me

I ride hard enduro, with my dirt bike (Husky TE 300i) and think thats why I prefered the Large over the medium a few years back. I felt more at home. I also had a Mongoose boot’r and that was a Large to. So I think sticking with a large bike will fit my prefrence. Thanks bud appreciate your feedback. But will still try and ride it just to make sure 😁

Yaa go ride it.. just knowing your height isn’t good enough to determine bike size.. 

you might have short legs or shorter torso etc for your height, you see what I’m getting at.. 

Shop asssistance will also determine your size just by looking at you and that’s also no good.. I was told I was every size under the sun by different shops when I was getting into mtn biking.. 

get a pro bike fit or test ride and see what feels the best..

If you're 'between' sizes on the size curve, definitely ask if you can ride it first.

I am 1.74 and ride smalls. I have owned a few mediums but on the smaller side of Medium. The best bike I ever owned was a Spez Camber Grom kids bike. I regret selling it.

Having also ridden (and still ride) BMXs, I don't like feeling stretched out and love feeling like I can whip the rear end over and round things. 

It might feel perfect and it might feel small. It looks as though it has a very long stem fitted for such a big bike, so if you are able, take a few shorter options when you test too.

But ja, it's an awesome bike,  but getting one that fits is where the confidence comes from. If it feels even slightly wrong it will always live rent free in your mind when you ride

I am 174cm and on a medium Superspeed. Had a proper setup done last week and was told ideally with my short legs I should be on a small. My Scott medium was quite a bit smaller than Silverback. Giant, Silverback, GT are generally bigger bikes and Scott, Cannondale and trek are smaller bikes. 

For instance my buddy's Trek Fuel EX 9.9 size Large feels compact to me. 

Test the bike would be best. 

On 12/14/2023 at 10:25 PM, BaGearA said:

I would say pass it 

1.80 personally and the last medium i rode was a previous gen Trek slash that was positively too small.

Very comfy on a Large so i don't think modern geo can be used to justify the medium.

1st prize is of course riding it and deciding yourself 

Giant and Trek have very different sizing...so he really does need to try it for fit..

7 minutes ago, guidodg said:

Giant and Trek have very different sizing...so he really does need to try it for fit..

definitely , test ride > any online document  

But interestingly enough the people on Pinkbike seem to think I also should be on a medium , maybe its something with Brits/Americans.

Sizing charts from Trek themselves puts me square on a large 

New bikes are longer in the reach department. Great for tall mofos like me who ride XL, XL or XL and never really had bikes roomy enough. My wife is 1.7m and I agree that new mediums are too big. Her next bike will be a small. A large bike from a few years back is as short or shorter than current gen mediums. 

Edited by MORNE