Dreaded Helmet Itch

KNmtb

On 1/27/2024 at 12:12 PM, guidodg said:

rub some bib cream in your helmet liner and also wear a light UV skull cap like the one from First Ascent or whatever...

I ride with a bandanna over my head. It does 2 things - no insects get caught up in my helmet and it protects my scalp from sunburn. getting stung on the skull ain't much fun at the best of times and less so when bombing downhill and sunburn for the follically-challenged is a nightmare and makes the good times bad

4 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I won't lie, reading these replies makes me feel like such a pilchard.

I've got helmets I've used multiple times a week for years and never washed the padding...... 😝

Okes must smell you before they see you, while waiting for the morning group ride 

37 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I've got helmets I've used multiple times a week for years and never washed the padding...... 😝

I won’t admit to years of riding for years with unwashed helmets, but I I do know where you coming from 😆

Occasionally I’ll take it into shower and give it a good shampooing

Maybe the OP could try that with an anti itch (dandruff) shampoo? Even Mathieu vd Poel does if the Alpicin adverts are to be believed 

39 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

I ride with a bandanna over my head. It does 2 things - no insects get caught up in my helmet and it protects my scalp from sunburn. getting stung on the skull ain't much fun at the best of times and less so when bombing downhill and sunburn for the follically-challenged is a nightmare and makes the good times bad

I never ride without a casquete since I discovered them.. for us baldies it makes wearing a helmet way more comfortable and keeps sweat from rushing down my face.!

1 hour ago, PregoRoll said:

Okes must smell you before they see you, while waiting for the morning group ride 

ah, you only need to wash it out when you are able to find your helmet in the dark by smell alone!

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

.. I’ve noted. Will remember this when one of your helmets come up for sale! 😂😂😂

In my opinion there’s only 1 thing that’ll sort out ur problem. I’m sure if u get a brand new shiny Kask helmet that itch will disappear 😝

10 minutes ago, F@yino said:

In my opinion there’s only 1 thing that’ll sort out ur problem. I’m sure if u get a brand new shiny Kask helmet that itch will disappear 😝

Helmets should rest between use .... N+2 ....

1 hour ago, betaboy said:

.. I’ve noted. Will remember this when one of your helmets come up for sale! 😂😂😂

I don't sell things I wear other than new shoes worn a few times.

Helmets get put out to [pasture with the Adventure Race kit and get dragged around on a backpack for abseiling or white water sections on a race and I use my clothing until it falls off me.

I know how much I sweat and what I put my kit through. I would hate for anyone else to have to wear it!

Hi @KNmtb

If you're having trouble cleaning your helmet, we do have a new product on the market which is intended primarily for kit. It is an Enzyme Based wash, which is particularly effective in breaking down bacteria. It is also pH neutral so shouldn't irritate your skin, nor damage the helmet in any way.

If you don't come right with some form of skin treatment, it could be worth having a look at: https://assmagic.co.za/products/ass-magic-kit-wash-1l